Super Gunk - Gas Puck and Plug - On New/Port Modified Saiga

I wish I had some data on how much force is more than desirable and a material that could make the force measurable by the amount it is compressed. A range of compression would fall in the scope of 'normal'. anything beyond that would be considered 'overgassed'. The Autoplug could be used to counter the overgassed condition.

lol... I've actually thought of fabbing up a rig & trying to find a gauge tough enough to measure gas pressure. I can't seem to find gauges that stay at the peak pressure & are resettable though & really don't have the time to tinker, but once a gauge is found, it'll be a really easy & useful tool to make & have. It'd be interesting to ship it around to people with different port sizes & see what each combo delivers. smile.png

Until then I just use minimal porting & tune them for ejection to be 6' to the two-o-clock with weak value pack shit. I never go over 3@ .093 0r 4 @ .078, so if they're not ejecting 6' to the two-o-clock with all but the shit that says "for break action & pump guns only" (which tends to cost more than value pack shit anyhow) I know I need to tune more because I missed something.

If you run with the idea & find a gauge, give a brotha a heads up. It'd be neat to take measuring these to a whole new level & begin recording stats.

I can turn down, thread & tap some stock to make the test plug if someone can find the right gauge.

I think if everybody can contribute info, like say a forum project that a whole lot of us participate in, we can all get a really good idea for formulas to determine all barrel/gas system lengths & what ports ideally need to be.

Meh... Or maybe I'm just obsessive compulsive when it comes to measuring. unsure.png

The above quotes are very interesting and I would like to save them for further reference in a thread I am working on. They are an excellent example of a point I have been trying to make!!

Thanks much,

Jack

I wish I had some data on how much force is more than desirable and a material that could make the force measurable by the amount it is compressed. A range of compression would fall in the scope of 'normal'. anything beyond that would be considered 'overgassed'. The Autoplug could be used to counter the overgassed condition.

lol... I've actually thought of fabbing up a rig & trying to find a gauge tough enough to measure gas pressure. I can't seem to find gauges that stay at the peak pressure & are resettable though & really don't have the time to tinker, but once a gauge is found, it'll be a really easy & useful tool to make & have. It'd be interesting to ship it around to people with different port sizes & see what each combo delivers. smile.png

Until then I just use minimal porting & tune them for ejection to be 6' to the two-o-clock with weak value pack shit. I never go over 3@ .093 0r 4 @ .078, so if they're not ejecting 6' to the two-o-clock with all but the shit that says "for break action & pump guns only" (which tends to cost more than value pack shit anyhow) I know I need to tune more because I missed something.

If you run with the idea & find a gauge, give a brotha a heads up. It'd be neat to take measuring these to a whole new level & begin recording stats.

I can turn down, thread & tap some stock to make the test plug if someone can find the right gauge.

I think if everybody can contribute info, like say a forum project that a whole lot of us participate in, we can all get a really good idea for formulas to determine all barrel/gas system lengths & what ports ideally need to be.

Meh... Or maybe I'm just obsessive compulsive when it comes to measuring. unsure.png

The above quotes are very interesting and I would like to save them for further reference in a thread I am working on. They are an excellent example of a point I have been trying to make!!

Thanks much,

Jack

Go for it so long as you don't attempt to paint me as one of these drill until it runs hacksmiths.

My personal philosophy when building these is to address every aspect of the weapons systems first, before the ports.

Being as I've never gassed a gun over 3 @.093", or 4 @ .078, and I'm running 100% after 25 rounds every single time, it seems to be working out for me.

I measure every gun I come across's ports using the shafts of number-bits. I've found a gun with 2 ports at .062" and 1 drilled half way through, not even penetrating the barrel at the low end and I've found 4 port guns at .076" at the high end.

There really is no rhyme or reason, much less quality control from the factory on port sizes. Hell, I shit you not, I've seen 3 ports drilled in a straight line, with 1 completely under the gas block. How that gets through the inspection? Who knows.

That's why I see it as beneficial to actually know what pressures we're working with and what's the least amount of pressure, translating to force, and resulting in wear, that we can work with while retaining reliability.

With that knowledge, we can build the most durable and reliable builds rather than flying blind & guessing.

I'm not one to try to jerry-rig the weapons by overgassing, because that results in more shock than needed being transmitted through the op-rod into the most fragile part of the weapon, the female end of the carrier where they tend to split, which is a cumbersome repair that I really wish to avoid after successfully repairing several which have continued to hold up, nor will I jerry rig the guns with weaker springs, because I like the full power springs being able to complete cambering a round if there was a mag hiccup causing a slow feed, or a short cycle from an underpowered round which both can led to the shell not being properly fed, bouncing & rubbing all over the place, and so much power being robbed from the cycle that it stalls out before it can lock up.

I would recommend the weaker springs for race-gun guys building low brass only guns who don't intend to fire self defense loads out of the guns, but want to fire the lowest recoil stuff possible to get back on target, but not for the quarter horse that's also going to be used to defend one's family.

I do use a lighter extractor spring when tuning extractors, but still I do with caution. I've found my tuned extractor springs, although lighter than the factory, are still much heavier than springs I've found that others use when they tune extractors, when I examine pieces that their previous customers send to me to rework.

With the tolerances on this platform being all over the place, I've found that measuring, recording, cross-referencing & maintaining shop specifications lead to the most favorable outcomes.

So you have moved up from polishing bolts to building complete guns now? Congratulations on getting your FFL!! How many complete guns have you actually built?

Regards,

Jack

Are you drunk & looking for a pissing contest Jack?

Why? What's the point? Not getting enough work, so ya' gotta make a scene? Trying to get attention to drum up business?

Why in the sam hell can't i post 4 posts a month, IF THAT, not challenging anybody, nor calling bullshit on any of the assinine shit I read because I don't want to hurt people's precious feewings, without some attention seeker always feeling the need to talk shit about SOMETHING?

Yeah, I saw your first 2 drafts of post #31 Jack. Before you settled on the one I quoted on this thread. I have them in my email because you quoted my post.

I'd seriously suggest either backing off, or stepping up your own game before riding this man's nutsack, Jack;

001-3-1.jpg

Compared to;

SAM_2784-1.jpg

Yeah.... Hard choice. unsure.png

Regards;

Paul M. Pawlowski

• Like 3

Gee, Pauly. Only wondering if you finally got an FFL to conduct business. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. I have built over 500 Saiga shotguns, and not one customer complaint on the reliability of the firearms. Don't know where you are coming from.

Jack

Gee, Pauly. Only wondering if you finally got an FFL to conduct business. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. I have built over 500 Saiga shotguns, and not one customer complaint on the reliability of the firearms. Don't know where you are coming from.

Jack

Jack, you do know that when you quote a guy's post at 1:52am pacific, they get an email notification with the content of what you posted, right?

And if you delete that version, retype, repost your next draft at 02:21am pacific, delete it, and finally repost your final draft at 02:29am pacific.... The guy who's post you quoted gets 3 emails with each draft, as well as the final post, so he knows exactly what your original train of thought and intended snark was.

Now Jack, we've talked in the past at length, and we're pretty much on the same page when it comes to these things. I can't see how you'd think my wanting the knowledge of operation pressures to study & develop formulas with would make me one of the gas-happy bunch.

I think ya' just had too much to drink, or you're getting forgetful, but it angers me when I find I've been misrepresented.

As for business, don't you worry about me. My ass is covered like Billy Graham's at a gay pride parade as far as the law's concerned, thank you very much. 032.gif

• Like 1

Enjoy messing with you sometimes, just can't help it! You get SOOO Serious. Your times are off, it is just now going on 12 PM here. Past my bedtime for an old guy.

You are correct. I am serious and it serves me well.

I can add the extra weight of an HD op-rod, and an upturned charger, with heat treated extended/enlarged mounting base so it's all built all the way to the carrier for the extra force/leverage generated by the handle during cycling & can't even break if abused outside of going to work on the thing with a sledgehammer, and even with all the added weight of both, the customers STILL report back vast improvement in cycling from GlassBolt alone.

There can be only ONE, best In the world in any market niche. One must be serious & continually advance if they wish to stay there.

Very good.

So you have moved up from polishing bolts to building complete guns now? Congratulations on getting your FFL!! How many complete guns have you actually built?

Regards,

Jack

Are you drunk & looking for a pissing contest Jack?

Why? What's the point? Not getting enough work, so ya' gotta make a scene? Trying to get attention to drum up business?

Why in the sam hell can't i post 4 posts a month, IF THAT, not challenging anybody, nor calling bullshit on any of the assinine shit I read because I don't want to hurt people's precious feewings, without some attention seeker always feeling the need to talk shit about SOMETHING?

Yeah, I saw your first 2 drafts of post #31 Jack. Before you settled on the one I quoted on this thread. I have them in my email because you quoted my post.

I'd seriously suggest either backing off, or stepping up your own game before riding this man's nutsack, Jack;

001-3-1.jpg

Compared to;

SAM_2784-1.jpg

Yeah.... Hard choice. unsure.png

Regards;

Paul M. Pawlowski

Life is stressful enough and I am sorry that you have to go through this. I appreciate your effort to defend me when I am not at liberty to do so nor do I desire to do it. You didn't have to. I am kind of getting used to this treatment and it really doesn't bother me much except for the people being angry at me when I didn't mean to upset them. I seem to be a target, for some reason, but I can take a hit and keep my temper well now. As long as a small few people here like me, I still feel like I belong. Those guys make it all worth it. You might view it that way too. A lot of people like you here. I hope the rest of your day goes great, many thanks.

Jack,

I'm sorry that you feel the need to lash out at me because of differences in opinion or technique. I want you to understand that I sincerely apologize if I offended you. I didn't intend to. Please forgive me and I am begging you to realize that we are on the same team. I'm sure you have felt the hate for this platform at 3 gun matches. I have too. Same team, my friend. I hope the rest of your days goes great too.

I hope to meet you someday and let you fire a few of my builds. There is more to them than just drilling ports and they run ok. There is a very good reason why I never show pics of the action and FCG. It isn't because they are untouched ;) I would like to try a couple of your rigs too. They look light and fast. Very nice work.

Now make some money guys! Can't do it chatting on the forum all day ;)

Best Regards,

evl....

• Like 2