Front sight canted...did I do that?

I cut off the front of the barrel shroud on my 7.62x39 and threaded the barrel for a muzzle device. I installed the device and afterward noticed that the front sight LOOKS canted to the right. Never noticed that before, and it shot straight with the irons out of the box just fine.

So my theory is that I may have exherted enough torque when tightening the left hand thread on the muzzle device that I twisted the FSB to the right. I did not clamp the FSB in a vice, just held the rifle down on a bench, which may have been a mistake. But is that even possible? It was a birdcage without wrench flats, so I just slid a screwdriver through the slots to tighten it. Can't see how I could overcome the friction of the press points on the FSB by hand with a screwdriver, especially at 5'6" and 160 lbs., lol.

So until I take the optic off and get some range time with the irons, or somehow measure it for center, I won't know for sure if the FSB is actually canted or its an optical illusion. But since I can actually SEE it, I'm thinking it must be canted.

So, if it does end up that I #@%^ed it up, How do I twist the FSB back? Is there some danger of twisting the barrel? Really hoping I didn't jack up my weapon.

Sure you didn't do it somehow when you were threading it? There's no delicate way to fix it, just bang on it with a mallet...

I don't see how I could have done it while threading, as threading exherts very little torque, especially with a sharp die and lots of cutting oil, which I used. But I tightened the muzzle device by hand as tight as I could and still have it properly aligned. That's the only point I can imagine enough torque could have been applied.

I tried banging on it with a mallet, but no go. I got concerned that smacking it even harder might bend or twist the barrel instead of rotating the FSB. But maybe I need to stop being a girl about it and hit that damn thing...it is an AK

I highly doubt you did anything to the FSB.

Suspect that the minor changes and increased scrutiny made you aware of what was already there... If it is, I mean you question it yourself.

Have you confirmed that it really is canted? If it was/is, it shot straight before, does it still? If it does shoot straight, there is no problem.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

give that thing a few really good whacks with a hammer, if you bend that barrel i'll buy you a new saiga and i'll cut your old one up and eat it in a bowl of cereal

Got a hunch that you'll be eating your cereal without any iron supplements in it.

Welcome back, BTW.

• Like 1

I am going to wait for some range time to confirm it is in fact canted. If I carefully follow the center line of the gas tube with my eye, the FSB does appear off center to the right... I can't really think of anything I did to it that would have realistically broken the press fit of the FSB. It did shoot straight before mods, but then again, I haven't shot it past 50 yds yet, so it may be that it was canted all along, as Chile Relleno says, and out past that distance it will start to show some windage error.

Unfortunately, I will probably not have time for range til the next department training shoot. We are short staffed and I've had less than 4 full days off this month, which were spent sleeping. I am on the schedule for range sometime in the first half of Oct. tho, so will tote the bad guy gun with me and report after.

Thanks!