Shepards spring or plate?

I don't know that one is any more durable than the other. More than anything, it's a personal choice. I like the retaining plate myself, but many prefer the shepard's hook. If you go with a plate, it's usually easiest to file a small notch in your factory BHO. Makes removing the safety easier (which is what holds the plate in place).

• Like 1

Both work. One will fill you with rage and hatred. Retaining plates for me, if you please.

Tip. make sure the retaining plate cannot strike the bolt carrier near the rail above the axis point for the safety. Some people get binding there. A couple swipes of a file will eliminate any interferance.

Both work. One will fill you with rage and hatred. Retaining plates for me, if you please.

The plate makes disassembly so much easier. Some guys wont take their fcgs out for years at a time, but if you do it regularly, its well worth the ten bucks.

Durable. That is the key word in the OP.

If the Shephard's crook is indeed spring-steel, then it is more durable than a stamped, sheet metal plate...unless the plate is heat treated...then the durability comparison is arguable. But from my viewpoint, the Shephard's crook is more durable.

Durability is only really a concern if this is a stressed part being pushed near it's limits. As long as it seats securely into the grooves, all of these will last as long as the gun. You could just about do it with a bread bag tag.