First impressions of my Vepr-12

I broke in my VEPR-12 with Tapco stock today and here are some findings:

The stock is better then I thought it would be, all though I am still replacing it. If I had to use long it long term I wouldnt be to bothered by it.

The sights are just like an AK so its very comfortable to shoot if you are into the Kalshnikov platform.

The trigger has a small amount of slap in it (that gets annoying after awhile), but I anticipated this after reading Greg from CSS described this issue in his tests. I will replace the trigger ASAP. I also dont like the angle and feel of the stock trigger or the reset on it.

I was shooting at a fairly rapid pace, the barrel did not get hot and the hand guards stayed firm with no discomfort.

The weight and balance is similar to my Saiga-12 but it is more heavy and my Saiga-12 seems a little more balanced.

LRBHO works great with factory mags (All I had to use at this time).

I was not able to really check my patterns, I was pressed for time and more interested in function.

I was using a mini monster break 90% of the time as I forgot to switch it out half way through my tests.

I was able to fire 105 rounds here is a break down:

45 rounds of federal bulk. No FTE or FTF. Recoil was very light with these loads, maybe even less then my Saiga-12. I will try to compare them another time. I did notice that the shells only ejected about a foot at the most (pretty weak).

5 Rounds of Winchester supreme defense

10 Rounds Rio Royal Star

10 Rounds Royal Buck

All three of these loads cycled fine rapid fire and controlled fire. Shell ejection was strong (About 3 feet). Recoil was manageable.

15 Rounds Of Winchester slugs: Cycled fine rapid fire and controlled fire. Shell ejection was strong (About 3 feet). Recoil was somewhat harsh but manageable.

10 Rounds of Winchester 5 shot

10 Rounds of Winchester 6 shot

Cycled fine rapid fire and controlled fire. Shell ejection was strong (About 3 feet). Recoil was harsh and not comfortable. Running a lot of these loads all day would make shooting unpleasant.

Overall I was pleased with how it performed. Only glitch was the very first time I tried to charge the bolt it would not work. I had to release the mag and cycle it a few times then it was fine. I did a quick clean before I went to range so maybe I had it on the rail a little crooked or something.

All the polymer parts seem rugged enough and should handle abuse. I think the magwell could be broken if you set your mind to it, but not from regular use. The factory mags have very sharp edges (Like the MD20 drums) so your fingers will be pinched and scrapped from time to time while loading.

I think this is worth the money, glad I got it. I wanted a second Saiga 12 but this takes care of that need. Oh yeah everyone who seen it from the FFL store to the range was impressed (for what thats worth).

• Like 1

What do you plan to change the trigger out with?

I was thinking of putting a tapco set in mine. Does it look pretty easy to change out? I havnt got mine in yet.

G2 Trigger or Texas Trigger. The internals around the trigger look different then AKs or Saigas, but Greg over at CSS said he did it and it was easy.

• Like 1

weighs more than the Saiga? this thing is much lighter than my S12 by like 2lbs

Is that right? Interesting. I wonder where the weight savings are at. Papa Z says the barrels are thinner material but stronger due to the forging method. Obviously the recievers on them are heavier. Curious how it all compares.

But what stuff is on your s12? quad rail, fore grip, folding mech, bipod, flashlight, Tactical Bayonet Axe?...

For reference my IZ-108 with an empty 8 rounder weighed 7.6 lbs with ak74 wood. I imagine plastic would be a shade lighter.

I guess what I would prefer is someone to stick an empty mag in and put the gun as delivered on a scale. It would be nice to know the difference.

OP-- were you saying the saiga is better balanced, or the Vepr? Your sentence could be read either way.

But what stuff is on your s12? quad rail, fore grip, folding mech, bipod, flashlight, Tactical Bayonet Axe?...

For reference my IZ-108 with an empty 8 rounder weighed 7.6 lbs with ak74 wood. I imagine plastic would be a shade lighter.

I guess what I would prefer is someone to stick an empty mag in and put the gun as delivered on a scale. It would be nice to know the difference.

OP-- were you saying the saiga is better balanced, or the Vepr? Your sentence could be read either way.

Pardon any confusion. My Saiga with a regular front end and adjustable stock feels a little more balanced then the Vepr after a quick comparison. The Vepr felt slightly more heavy to me (Just a small bit). The Saiga just seems a tad bit more balanced so I think that be what makes it seem a little bit lighter. Maybe the difference is from the weight of the sight blocks that are not on the saiga and the magwell at the bottom of the Vepr. I seriously doubt a bare bones Saiga 12 conversion weighs 2 more lbs then a stock Vepr 12. Overall its real a non issue that would quickly be forgetten in action, this was just a quick observation. More hands on use would help give a better comparison between the two models.

Shot mine first time today. Ate Federal Bulk pack like nobody's business. Ate up mixed mags with magnum buck and federal bulk packs - no issues.

Did you notice any difference in the way it ejected the different loads?

Sorry I did not. That's not to say there was not a difference, I was more or less doing quick function dumps and ejection wasn't something I was paying attention to so long as it was cycling properly.

Has anyone Else experienced Magazines fitting a little Too Tight???

Slightly difficult to engage & to release?

Any way these will ever be Drop Free?

I have both the factory 5 and an Izzy 8 and they are both very tight. I have to slam them in fairly hard to get them to engage the release all the way.

Has anyone Else experienced Magazines fitting a little Too Tight???

Slightly difficult to engage & to release?

Any way these will ever be Drop Free?

I have both the factory 5 and an Izzy 8 and they are both very tight. I have to slam them in fairly hard to get them to engage the release all the way.

I wonder if there is a way to loosen the mags & keep the reliability?

Any ideas? ... Anyone???