I'm getting my firearms instructor certifications through the NRA. November 10th, I go for the rifle instructor class. I was wondering if there are any other instructors here that could offer some insight as to what I'm getting into.

I'm pretty excited to start teaching classes and providing a service in my community. I have a full range set up to use with another instructor helping me. Yes we have the insurance policy and such to run the range.

• Like 3

I was never civilian certified but have done it plenty in the Military. Grow some eyes in the back of your head. Inexperienced shooters will perform some fucked up acts with loaded weapons. I've seen people skip a round off the concrete while drawing a pistol, another who was performing a reload with an M4 behind a barricade while his finger was still in the triggerguard, safety off, and his muzzle covering everyone down the firing line from him. What is your instructor to student ratio going to be? You need plenty of Range Safety Officers to keep an eye on everyone if you have a lot of shooters. There is always going to be one of those people who will keep you on your toes. It's not just the inexperienced shooters either. Lots of experienced shooters have developed bad habits that are hard to break and can be complacent with safety. Good luck!

• Like 1

If you’re willing to be an instructor for the great unwashed to me Rudyard Kipling said it best:

Din! Din! Din!

You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!

Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,

By the livin' Gawd that made you,

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 1

If you’re willing to be an instructor for the great unwashed to me Rudyard Kipling said it best:

Din! Din! Din!

You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!

Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,

By the livin' Gawd that made you,

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

awesome.

although now every time I hear Gunga Gin I think of Hank Venture lol

I'll be doing instruction on an individual basis as well as with groups of up to 10. Still have to work out specifics of the range section but I should be able to have 3-4 people on the live fire portion at a time with 1 instructor per shooter.

We don't have anything like this available close to here that's affordable and accessible for most people. I'm also going to work a deal with local gun shops to do a discounted price on the NRA course with the purchase of a firearm.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you also considered getting a Pistol and/or Personal Protection in the Home certification? Indiana is a CCW state. Also, a RSO certification would be a good idea for you too.

This reminds me, time to renew my creds, they expire on 11/30!

Edited by 1mile50

@Squishy... Go to nrainstructors.org and click the find a course tab and you can select regular courses or instructor courses. It's pretty easy to navigate. At least your first instructor course is 2 days. First day you have a basic instructor course, then a specific course. After that, for the most part, you should just have to take the discipline courses. I.e. pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc.

@1mile50... Yes! I plan to get all the certs I can and the counselor I'm using does most of everything. I'll get the pistol class in march.

@Squishy... Go to nrainstructors.org and click the find a course tab and you can select regular courses or instructor courses. It's pretty easy to navigate. At least your first instructor course is 2 days. First day you have a basic instructor course, then a specific course. After that, for the most part, you should just have to take the discipline courses. I.e. pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc.

Ok, I understand what you're saying about the first instructor course, you have to get "basic instructor" once and then the specialties. It is less clear with regard to prerequisites unlike a college catalog that simply lists them. And different instructors do things differently.

When I look at the details for the closest, soonest pistol instructor course to me I see the basic instructor course on one day and the specific course a week later...."Basic Instructor Training will be on 12/02/2012 and Basic Pistol Instructor on 12/09/2012"

While it does not say that the Basic Pistol course is a prerequisite, I assume it is because in the Pistol Instructor pre qualification it says "...must have achieved a minimum score of 90 percent on the Basic Pistol Shooting Course Student Exam". It seems this is what you must do, take the Basic Pistol Shooting Course first, but it's not stated that way specifically.

Is this how it goes?

My understanding, from my counselor, is that it's done all together... At least by him, over a 2 day course. It seems odd to do the instructor classes a week apart but I'm new to this as well. The exam is just a simple written test and you'll have to demonstrate shooting ability using a .22 at 50 feet.