Big Day for Pro Gun Legislation In Michigan

Today Michigan's House of Representatives and Senate vote on some major changes to our Gun Laws. If passed they will be very positive for Gun Owners. The House is voting to allow an advanced CPL license that will allow us to carry in pistol free zones. Our Pistol free zones are schools and school property K-12, churches, day care facilities, Bars or Taverns, College classrooms and dormitories, Any entertainment facility that the entire building has a capacity of 2500 or more ( Movie theaters, concert halls, ect.) Court houses, Hospitals. The Senate is voting to end our handgun registration and pistol permit system, They are also voting to allow easier transport of firearms.

It was looking good for all 3 to pass. But now there is more opposition. A few Sheriffs got involved and want the fees raised for our carry permits. Currently Michigan has some of the highest fees for CPL permits. The Governor now wants to allow any public or privately owned place to post a sign thus making them a pistol free zone. Penalty for carrying in a pistol free zone: 1st time civil infraction with a $500 fine and loss of cpl privileges for 6 months, 2nd offense 93 day misdemeanor and revocation of cpl license. 3rd offense 4 year felony.

The next couple days could be interesting.

Today Michigan's House of Representatives and Senate vote on some major changes to our Gun Laws. If passed they will be very positive for Gun Owners. The House is voting to allow an advanced CPL license that will allow us to carry in pistol free zones. Our Pistol free zones are schools and school property K-12, churches, day care facilities, Bars or Taverns, College classrooms and dormitories, Any entertainment facility that the entire building has a capacity of 2500 or more ( Movie theaters, concert halls, ect.) Court houses, Hospitals. The Senate is voting to end our handgun registration and pistol permit system, They are also voting to allow easier transport of firearms.

It was looking good for all 3 to pass. But now there is more opposition. A few Sheriffs got involved and want the fees raised for our carry permits. Currently Michigan has some of the highest fees for CPL permits. The Governor now wants to allow any public or privately owned place to post a sign thus making them a pistol free zone. Penalty for carrying in a pistol free zone: 1st time civil infraction with a $500 fine and loss of cpl privileges for 6 months, 2nd offense 93 day misdemeanor and revocation of cpl license. 3rd offense 4 year felony.

The next couple days could be interesting.

I think this is a great idea, and I've suggested it before. There is a huge perception gap between those who are just issued a gun permit and are assumed to have little or no training .....and LEO's who receive the most training and are perceived as being the only ones that are competent to safely handle firearms. That gap has to start being bridged with higher levels of voluntary training and certification that is recognized by private property owners such as malls, and government buildings, etc. I would even venture to say that a few employers might bend their no gun policies for certain individuals that they feel can be trusted. Right now there is just nothing to really differentiate between the highest and lowest levels of competence among private gun owners. And it is the actions of the barely competent that cause the fear that leads to most of the restrictions that affect everybody.
  • Like 2

It was a huge day for Pro gun legislation. The Michigan legislature voted to allow additional training to become exempt to pistol free zones. They also voted to allow us to purchase long guns from anywhere in the USA without having them sent to a FFL. Yesterday they made it easier to get a purchase permit, No more test, you can get them from any police department. If you purchase from a FFL then you dont need one at all. They also made transportation of a handgun easier for those without a CPL license. Way to go MICHIGAN. Now it is up too the Governor.

• Like 2

It was a huge day for Pro gun legislation. The Michigan legislature voted to allow additional training to become exempt to pistol free zones. They also voted to allow us to purchase long guns from anywhere in the USA without having them sent to a FFL. Yesterday they made it easier to get a purchase permit, No more test, you can get them from any police department. If you purchase from a FFL then you dont need one at all. They also made transportation of a handgun easier for those without a CPL license. Way to go MICHIGAN. Now it is up too the Governor.

I think that you must styill go through an FFL if purchasing a gun from out of state, this is a federal law.

• Like 1

You are correct. you do still have to go through an FFL. Previously Michiganders were only allowed to purchase from states that borders Michigan. Now they will be able to purchase from anywhere in the US. There were people with FFL's that would obtain the firearm that I wanted from another state then I was able to purchase it from them here. Now I can purchase it and have it sent to an FFL here for a transfer fee eliminating having an FFL do what ever they had to do before. Less work for the FFL holder, easier, cheaper, and streamlined for me.