Sling Mounted To Barrel?

I have a Saiga 223 I am keeping in the stock sporter configuration, and I want a heavy duty front-mount for the sling.

Mounting the sling to the barrel between the front sight and gas block seems like it might be a good idea.

What mounting method might be best?

What issues might there be?

I, also, kept the sporter front end. I really like how it fits/looks. You are right about needing a sturdy front sling point. DON'T use that junk loop they have up front. It is a split ring and will pull out at first sign of any tug. What I did was use a spare sling stud I had left over from a Mossberg project. It is a standard machine screw stud but the bolt part is only about 3/16" long. I simply unscrewed the sling loop from the stock setup, put some thread locker on the sling stud, and screwed that back in (it's standard 8/32 thread). It fit perfect and is the exact length of the stock screw. I also replaced the rear stock loop with a stud as well. Now I run a sling with Talon 1 piece sling loops on it. VERY rugged and secure, quiet, removes easily, and when removed... no noisey loops flopping around. Highly suggested.

001-8_zps7e9478c0.jpg

002-6_zpsddb338d6.jpg

003-4_zpsbb0566ed.jpg

Edited by Brian M1

These work good. Cheap too. I used 2 of them, doubled up, for extra strength.

Type 304 Stainless Steel Wire Rope Lanyard, Straight, Coated, Loop/Loop, 3/64" Rope Diameter, 6" Length

Available at McMaster-Carr. Part number 30345T23.

Edited by tbryanh
  • 3 weeks later...