I need a bullet guide why?

Because without a bullet guide, when fed from a double stack magazine where you have a cartridge sitting on either the left or right side there is nothing to 'guide' the bullet tip centered into the chamber. On the factory mags and Saiga specific mags, like SGM, this 'guide' is built into the magazine and not the rifle. Why don't the Saiga rifles just have this to begin with? It's because they cannot be capable of accepting military surplus magazines in order to meet the import requirements as set by the BATFE and DoJ.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Will the Saiga factory mag still work with the bullet guide installed?

It will if you remove material for the mag to clear the bullet guide you put in the rifle. Takes all of 10 seconds with a dremel or similar tool.

• Like 1

Installing a bullet guide is very tricky . The receiver is very hard and tapping it is even trickier . I always used SGM mags and have never ,ever , had the slightless , smallest problem on feeding or whatever with the Saiga or with a SGM magazine ... never . Many bullet guide installs come out good , but many also come out bad and then you have a feeding problem , unreliable working... etc etc . Me, I arrive to the range , insert the mags , shoot them all (the 6 of them) pack and go home ... like that .

Many people feel that they should have steel mags ... they are cheaper . But for the use I will give to my SGM magazines , they will last me a lifetime if I treat them with care.

Can you find a better mag than the AR Magpuls ? and they are all plastic .

And I even like the way they look on the rifle

I am very handy . I have the skills to drill and tap receivers for mounting side rails/scopes . I have a drill press , too , but as long as I can use the Surefires I won`t get into it.

The Surefires work perfectly , with perfect reliability , so what is the point ? As a matter of fact, yesterday I grabbed the last SGM 20rd mag from CSS ... when I checked the site there were 17 left (the 30rd were already gone) so I went to have a zip of water and when I came back 3 minutes later , there was only 1 left , which I got , along with a SGM mag coupler .

I now have 7 SGMs ... 5-30rd and 2-20rds plus the 10rd that came with the rifle . With care they will last me a lifetime and I will always have the choice of installing a guide .

The Galil mags are also plastic and I can`t see the difference between Galil and SGMs ... maybe with a bullet guide is possible to use circle 10 bulgarian mags ? is that what surplus means ? regular AKs are 7.72x39 and I can understand using a bullet guide to use the regular AK mags , but in .223 cal I just don`t see the need just to use Galil mags that are the same as the SGMs ... but I cut be wrong

Perhaps if someone explains it better I would see it differently ... thanks

Edited by josey88

Some people run 5.45 mags in their .223's. Some people dont have issues with feeding without a bullet guide also. I put them in, as I only run circle 10's, or Russian milsurps in my other AK's. Some people tend to get a bit too worrisom over the bullet guide issue. Guys have had trouble with broken taps in the past, and many still do. Going slow isnt always a surefire way to get one in successful if the tap is defective. But so far I have done several bullet guides and never had any problems. Its not too hard, but more time consuming as I move at the speed of zombie while doing so. Its more of a preference than anything.

I run SGM's in mine and am VERY happy with them. They're definitely not military grade and have no metal reinforcements... but there isn't much out there that IS for the Saiga 223 (other than Circle 10/Arsenals and they often require shaving down the interdiction tap, which I'm not willing to do). Tapco Galil mags do not fit as tight as SGM's in Saiga's (Tapco Galil's are narrower, thus have a bit too much side to side play). I have a bullet guide that will not be installed until I start seeing excessive bullet guide wear in the SGM mags. But I'd suggest getting a BG, just in case they (SGM guide) start to wear, so you can cut off the mag guide, and keep rocking with an installed BG, or as others have done, just cut the guide off the mags and instal a BG from the start.

Edited by Brian M1

Well... that is exactly what I have been thinking , lately . There really is not much out there for the Saiga .223 to better the SGMs . One thing I like about the SGMs is that they fit tight , with no wobbling , no play ... they insert tight with a click and don`t move .

I will buy a bullet guide and put it away until the SGMs plastic guide start wearing out , so then I will install it , cut away the plastic guide and keep on using the SGM mags for ever .

I would not , ever, shave the interdiction tap or dremel anything on my Saiga`s receiver and if the SGM mags work as well with the steel bullet guide as with the plastic one , which they do , I don`t have to look for mags .

Edited by josey88

FWIW the bullet guide is best if you intend to use milsurp or milspec mags such as the Circle 10 or Beryl - these are both tough steel reinforced military mags that are compatible with several other .223 AK types. The plastic Galil and Promag are attractive mostly because they are far cheaper than SGMs and still work fine.

If you like the SGM mags go for it. Personally I don't trust the built-in bulle guide to last over time, but I have no way to prove it.

I like the SGMs indeed . I like that they fit tight , are very easy to disassemble and they work . I also like the looks .

Like you , I think that the weak point on the SGM mags is the plastic bullet guide . On my mags the plastic guide has small indentations carved from the feeding of the bullets ... very small half moon indentations that shows where the bullets touch the guide . This wear , I think , will get deeper and bigger with the use of the mags (I am talking thousands of rds) and eventually they will wear out .

So, in order to prevent this , when I see that the wear is becoming a problem I will install the BG , file off the plastic guide and keep using the SGMs or start using some others as long as I don`t have to modify the receiver .

I already spent on the SGMs , so I may as well use them and for the use I will be giving them , they will last me forever, with the steel bullet guide as a fix if is ever needed.

This thing with the SGM mags is just like the new AR-15 P-mags ... My P-mags are all Gen 1 but they function perfectly and never ever had a single problem at all . There are now small differences in the look of the new P-mags, like in my P-mags they have 5 ribs and the new ones have 4 ribs ... who cares ... when they fail , if ever , I would replace them but as long as they work (and the old as the new ones are military specs rated ) I will keep shooting with the 14 of them .

Edited by josey88