Korean mags - I've taken some photos of what I received last weeke

I've been nervous about what I ordered from JG Sales on the 17th after reading the horror stories. I apparently bought some of the infamous Korean magazines! Well, they were dirt cheap - around $13 a piece. They came, I never had a chance to disassemble one and check it out until today. I took some photos that I'll attach. I have to say that I am pretty impressed by what I see. I don't have any of my other mags laying around to compare them to, but for what I paid I think I'm pretty happy.

They appear to be stamped pretty well. Spot welds look good and there are plenty. The mag spring was coated it appeared. The follower wasn't 100% perfect, but was pretty darn good.

post-11835-0-26109200-1357150429_thumb.jpg

post-11835-0-98866400-1357150437_thumb.jpg

post-11835-0-64884800-1357150453.jpg

post-11835-0-46665500-1357150461.jpg

post-11835-0-61183300-1357150478_thumb.jpg

post-11835-0-90055100-1357150486_thumb.jpg

post-11835-0-75763600-1357150498_thumb.jpg

post-11835-0-13398700-1357150507_thumb.jpg

I hate to rain on your parade....(hey maybe its exactly what you were after, sometimes you cant beat cheap) But those look pretty cheap and weak. The feed lips are pretty thin. Maybe its just the angle of the picture. But I personally would not pay 13 dollars for those. I would buy the used thicker EU mags. Even if you had to clean and repaint, I think you get a better value for what you get. It may not be much, but you would be surprised how much the slight difference in thickness toughens them up.

I might buy one and do some testing. They look like they would bend and dent very easy.

eta: I just checked their website.....holy hell their mags have gone up to 36 bucks. I wont be buying one. They used to have the old EU mags in used condition for 7.95 I believe. They were a damn good buy. I guess those days are gone for now.

Glad Ive been stocking up over the years.

Edited by Chevyman097
I hate to rain on your parade....(hey maybe its exactly what you were after, sometimes you cant beat cheap) But those look pretty cheap and weak. The feed lips are pretty thin. Maybe its just the angle of the picture. But I personally would not pay 13 dollars for those. I would buy the used thicker EU mags. Even if you had to clean and repaint, I think you get a better value for what you get. It may not be much, but you would be surprised how much the slight difference in thickness toughens them up.

I might buy one and do some testing. They look like they would bend and dent very easy.

Doubt that - they are made out of steel, not aluminum. Also considering that most mags are around $20+ now, I consider these a good deal. Good luck finding basically anything right now - all online venues are out unless you want to pay about $40 a mag.

Edited by opto_isolator

Locking up is not a function test, Load the mag full, then drop it on the floor, 3 feet will do.

Then put it in the rifle and empty the mag, then report how you like them.

• Like 1
Locking up is not a function test, Load the mag full, then drop it on the floor, 3 feet will do.

Then put it in the rifle and empty the mag, then report how you like them.

Will do - and I'll do you one better, I'll video my test. The fact remains though - these mags are cheaper yet more durable than tapco's, promags, or other polymer mags - especially what I paid. As others have noted, they are now going for $36 a piece. Price isn't indicative of quality - but all things considered, not a bad deal at $13 a piece in the current potential ban situation.

I have 2(range toys), and the feed lips are thin, but have held up through both intentional and unintentional drops on concrete and asphalt. The followers are hit-or-miss on holding the full 30 rounds though. I had to pull one from a Chinese mag, and trim the Korean ones to match.

I've got 4 of the 30's from a couple years ago. Bought them for like $8/ea. Never did any drop testing, but none of them ever had a feed issue. I'm not really entertaining the notion of running through an urban environment and dropping to prone while using one of them either. They were pretty decent range mags, and held up fine through a few hundred rounds. Things being as they are now, I will probably put them up for sale locally.

I've been nervous about what I ordered from JG Sales on the 17th after reading the horror stories. I apparently bought some of the infamous Korean magazines! Well, they were dirt cheap - around $13 a piece. They came, I never had a chance to disassemble one and check it out until today. I took some photos that I'll attach. I have to say that I am pretty impressed by what I see. I don't have any of my other mags laying around to compare them to, but for what I paid I think I'm pretty happy.

They appear to be stamped pretty well. Spot welds look good and there are plenty. The mag spring was coated it appeared. The follower wasn't 100% perfect, but was pretty darn good.

Sad.....just sad

I remember when finding a box of euro surplus for 4 bucks a piece at a gun show was a good deal. And that wasn't THAT long ago.

Edited by Semper299
Is it just me or are the feed lips on both sides 2 layers of metal instead of one thick one on each side?

Or is this an optical illusion? I'm just lookin for a checklist in my head of what to avoid as far as mags at a gun show.

You are correct. Instead of thicker steel they use thin metal and layer the feed lips with an extra layer to try and make up. But they are still pretty weak. They try and cut corners on these mags to save money. They just dont hold up like the real deal mil surp mags.