FTE malfunction

I got a Saiga-20 for Christmas a couple years ago, and I have no idea what happened to most of the stuff that came with it. I've been having problems with the gun and I'm wondering if there is anything in the owner's manual that could help. If anyone out there knows where I can access one online, or could possibly scan theirs for me, I'd appreciate it.

I've looked all around these message boards and haven't found a working solution for my problem, but just in case I've missed something, I'll describe the malfunction.

I'm using 2 3/4" mags (I bought a new one when I thought the factory mag was the problem) and I have the gas-selector thing set to "2" for light loads. What happens is that about 3 out of every 5 rounds I put through it cause a FTE and stovepipe. I've seen a bunch of people on these boards with the same problem, but I can't find a fix that works for me. I haven't tried any magnum loads (3") yet, but I have used 1 1/8 ounce rounds with the same results. In fact, nothing I do seems to have any effect on it at all.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to try anything new. If not, I would like to look through the owner's manual if I can get my hands on one.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I had a problem like this. My 20ga was running fine. Then I switched loads to federal (I think) bulk from Wally world. Started having issues right then. Hmmmm, thought that I could expect more from it. Later I was reading how Saiga's need a good cleaning to start. I had just loaded up and gone to town. I mean it's an AK style gun, right :wub: The stuff from the factory is a bit gummy.

Long story short, after a good clean and lube it's all good now. Both dirty gun and weak factory load contributed to the failure.

Last Sat I had a stoppage when shooting weak shoulder (from left side of barracade). Made me wonder if you would "limp shoulder" a firearm.

read the post Makc put up on the gass setting. It sounds like your manual is wrong, but maybe the 20 is different than the 12. You can just yank the gas plug out totally and look at where the notch will be on the other side if you have it set to 1 or two. magnums, the notch should be turned away from the barrel, lighter loads, the notch should be turned tword the barrel.

just looked at the manual to reverify and it does say 1 for non-magnum and 2 for magnum heavy loads. this is the copyright EEA corp 04/02

just went out and test fired the 20. I couldn't tell the difference between the settings. I was using the Federal Field/Target rounds from walmart. got a FTE once each mag. shoot 25 rounds. I did clean and lightly lube it before firing.

I do think it happened less with the number 1 setting though. I was so preoccupied with the FTE that I really didn't concentrate on it.

I guess i will go through this lot of federals and if it doens't improve then i will check out past threads on this issue. Oh yea, 2 3/4 shells, couldn't find any 3's.

well any advise welcome.

Edited by 45leadslinger

take the gas plug out completely. look at the cut in it. that angled area should be TWORD the barrel for light loads. turn it to the other setting, and it is magnum. if you can have that angled area of the plug turned away from the barrel, and still run any type of round through it off your shoulder, you are all good.

Guys Got the skinny from the EAA gunsmith today.

20 Gauge FTE. He said the bolt is so heavy that you need to shot hunting rounds or heavier for a while until it breaks in and then the lighter field and target rounds should work.

Bvamp you were right the heavy gas setting is 1 and lighter is 2, he said my manual is old and wrong.

19 inxh barrel should be able to shoot any kind of round, skeet, clay, slugs etc. and I shouldn't need any kind of choke.

I put a green blackjack buffer in and a pachmayer slip on recoil pad and not recoil. It was like shooting a mini 30.

Just thought I would pass this on.