Anyone know if a RPK HG for Saiga 12 would fit a Vepr 12

I want to add a K-var Us made RPK handguard and retaining plate for a Saiga 12 to a new Vepr 12 that is in transit to me . My though is to also add a Bonesteel folder and Hogue pistol grip, and this US made HG to help get closer to the 922 requirement. Maybe the Tromix modded trigger group would finish it out running SGM mags too !

The retainer is different. The Vepr uses a traditional type AK lower HG retainer but instead of there being a notch in the barrel and a lever to tighten it down, the bottom of the gas tube is notched and holds the lower retainer in place. It doesn't bolt to the gas block like the Kvar S12 HG retainer does.

But i looks like the Kvar RPK S12 HG could fit. I have that on my S12. You would have to shave off the vents/slots on the top of it to clear the upper HG on the Vepr.

Why would you want to do this?

A US buttsock, PG, magazine and FCG is 8 US parts. I don't think that 9th part (US HG) would really be needed for the count.

The retainer is different. The Vepr uses a traditional type AK lower HG retainer but instead of there being a notch in the barrel and a lever to tighten it down, the bottom of the gas tube is notched and holds the lower retainer in place. It doesn't bolt to the gas block like the Kvar S12 HG retainer does.

But i looks like the Kvar RPK S12 HG could fit. I have that on my S12. You would have to shave off the vents/slots on the top of it to clear the upper HG on the Vepr.

A US buttsock, PG, magazine and FCG is 8 US parts. I don't think that 9th part (US HG) would really be needed for the count.

I guess i was being reluctant about changing out the Trigger group as Obiwanbonjovi suggested there could be a accidental discharge issue with changing the triggergoup from factory. Something over my pay grade with the Russian safety interacting with the Tapco trigger group. I think he posted on AR-15.com in a post about it. with some detailed pics of what had to be removed from the safety to operate correctly . Not trying to start something .

Then my 922 count would be Muzzle brake , folding stock ,pistol grip , upper hand guard ,lower HG, and CSS gas puck , SGM Magazine , but if i used the Russian 5 round mag I would be covered without doing anything to the triggergroup!

I guess i was being reluctant about changing out the Trigger group as Obiwanbonjovi suggested there could be a accidental discharge issue with changing the triggergoup from factory. Something over my pay grade with the Russian safety interacting with the Tapco trigger group. I think he posted on AR-15.com in a post about it. with some detailed pics of what had to be removed from the safety to operate correctly . Not trying to start something .

Then my 922 count would be Muzzle brake , folding stock ,pistol grip , upper hand guard ,lower HG, and CSS gas puck , SGM Magazine , but if i used the Russian 5 round mag I would be covered without doing anything to the triggergroup!

The issue with the trigger group is easily resolved by grinding the part of the safety that would otherwise hit the trigger with a dremel tool.

I am using the stock safety and the G2 Tapco and the amount that it can touch it is so negligible it would be impossible for it to discharge the weapon. Each FCG, receiver and safety will have variances though and does deserve your attention to ensure a safety issue does not exist.

SGM mags count as 3, don't we only need 5 for this thing?

SGM mags count as 3, don't we only need 5 for this thing?

922 compliance requires 6 US parts . I forgot the follower counts as 1 , the base plate as 1 ,and the mag itself as 1. Thanks for the wake up call!!