T&N Foreend comparison?

I posted a pic of the two side by side on another thread

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/84547-a-couple-of-builds-today/&do=findComment&comment=853422

Not sure what you mean by performance, they are identical except for length

Will the shorty come with a new guide rod that is shorter? And if so , What impact will this have on the performance? Light loads? Heavy loads?

Do the same differences exist between short and long like firebird's?

The Firebird railed handguard system is available in two configurations. The shorter or the regular length is designed to lock-out the original gas bypass system in the MKA 1919. When installed only 2 ¾” shells can be used! This configuration is made specifically to allow the consumer to use low cost, low recoil ammunition. It is not intended for 3” Magnum shells. The use of 3” Magnums in this configuration can result in personal injury or damage to your firearm.
The long Firebird MKA 1919 Handguard is designed to encompass the complete original operating system including the high pressure gas bypass. This system may be used with either 2 ¾” shells or 3” Magnum shells.

My forend just arrived 30 minutes ago, and my initial observation is it is solid and well built. Can't wait to install and go shooting.

However, all is not perfect.

The forend was dropped at some point after assembly, leaving four visible scuff marks on the paint, two of them penetrating all the way to the aluminum. Also a couple gouges on the end of the rail.

Also visible in the picture are burrs left on the slots on the inside of the forend. Lots of them on the inside. There are also burrs hanging on the outside of a few slots, and now that they are painted over its either leave them on or pick them off along with the paint.

It's good to see products start to roll out for the MKA, but don't start leaving QC at the door. Overall I'm happy to get the forend, but I'd be happier without these defects, especially after spending over $300 on it.

post-46313-0-85207900-1359232101_thumb.jpg

My Firebird regular forend arrived today. Nice piece of kit. There was a new rod included with the kit. Does this count as one (1) or (2) 922r parts (handguard + rod)?

Interesting question. The BATF letter to Kevin Cumbie lists the operating rod and forearm / handguard as two foreign made parts. The MKA 1919 Owner's Manual lists this rod as the "Operational Rod".

I considered the bolt carrier to be the operating rod but some may feel the MKA 1919 Manual carries some weight. To be safe I'd call it one part and add a few more US made parts from the list to be sure.

If you spent all those dollars on the Firebird handguard, surely a few more dollars to get a nice trigger pull (change out the hammer + disconnector + trigger) would not kill you. That will definitely get you down to 10 foreign made parts or less.

Just my opinion.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter
My Firebird regular forend arrived today. Nice piece of kit. There was a new rod included with the kit. Does this count as one (1) or (2) 922r parts (handguard + rod)?

If you spent all those dollars on the Firebird handguard

Unfortunately the rod is not considered a 922r part, only the handguard. Firebird handguards are currently priced at $200, they come with the non-922r replacement op rod and retention nut, and they have our side-charging system. Additional rails are available for the top and side, I think that brings the price up another $30 or so.

My forend just arrived 30 minutes ago, and my initial observation is it is solid and well built. Can't wait to install and go shooting.

However, all is not perfect.

The forend was dropped at some point after assembly, leaving four visible scuff marks on the paint, two of them penetrating all the way to the aluminum. Also a couple gouges on the end of the rail.

Also visible in the picture are burrs left on the slots on the inside of the forend. Lots of them on the inside. There are also burrs hanging on the outside of a few slots, and now that they are painted over its either leave them on or pick them off along with the paint.

It's good to see products start to roll out for the MKA, but don't start leaving QC at the door. Overall I'm happy to get the forend, but I'd be happier without these defects, especially after spending over $300 on it.

Cad man

Sorry to hear/see that, we will send you another.

Cad Man, Go ahead and send me the old one since you are getting a new one horror.gif . I mean, I'm sure the T&N guys won't mind

Anubis, you guys need to get your website updated.. It says $250 with accessory rails coming soon...

Lol, I think Matt will want it back.

We have hired some new help to keep up with the orders, looks like a few slipped through , had a few sent out with some problems.

We WILL replace them no problem.

Thanks Matt. Should I go ahead and send this one back?