S-12 Replacement Parts Question

So when my bolt carrier breaks it's going to be a veritable quest to get a new one. So I was wondering, why can't they just be CNC duplicated? Is there some firearms parts duplication legality that I'm not finding? I found a company that CNC duplicates hard to find car parts and the like. You can send them a part and they will scan it into a CAD for a fee, then duplicate as many as you want. Surely I'm not the first person to think of this, so there must be a reason nobody's doing it???

I have one I can sell you... For a price... One Million dollars drevil.gif Actually, I do have a spare complete bolt, but it is not for sale.

They are available from time to time when someone parts out a gun, or from KVar.

You'll have to be very fast, cause bolts, bolt carriers, recoil assemblies and such disappear with a quickness.\

ETA: I forgot, they are available new from R&R Targets for $280.00, http://randrtargets.com/site/products-page/saiga-parts/rr-bolt-carrier-us-made/

Love the Iron Maiden avatar, Stranger in a Strange Land, isn't it?

Edited by ChileRelleno

We tried to have custom Saiga stuff made but the quoted price for a minimuinimmm of 20 pieces was very very expensive. Seems it is not only the cad scan, but the 4130 billit, then the various heat treats. They told me they expected the first 4 to 6 prototypes to fail. Also to test the part to a sta tisk icks al (sp) degree costs lots of duty cycles...in the Saigas case lots of ammo.

Otherwise any guarantee would be silly. Point is it costs big bucks to duplicate even the tiny stuff like extractors, firing pins. Bolt heads and carriers also would be very expensive. I was quoted $150 bucks for a Saiga 7.62x51 extractor....with no guarantees. Hope this helps. Maybe others can $ram$ through custom production. I $can't$. HB of CJ (old coot) (poor also) sad.png

ETA: I forgot, they are available new from R&R Targets for $280.00, http://randrtargets.com/site/products-page/saiga-parts/rr-bolt-carrier-us-made/

Wow, that's excessive. You would be better off scanning the pawn shops for a busted gun to use for parts.

]

Not really. An AR 10 bolt carrier runs 250 with bolt. When you factor in they have to reverse engineer the piece being duplicated and the necessary machine work, price of steel, and the fact that they have to make a profit and they're the only ones who took the plunge to make the part, that's not a bad price at all, especially seeing how guns are now running close to $1000. Now, it the s12s were still $250 then yeah. Let's see you make of have made a similar piece of the same quality and see how much it costs you. And I don't know about you, but busted up s12s are a rarity in my area. When yours breaks, you'll wish u would have picked up an RR when u had the chance. Just be glad someone is actually making parts to begin, I know I am.