Online gun purchase?

Ok, anyone care to step me through the process of buying a gun online? I understand that i goes something like this.

1. Contact seller online.

2. Contact local FFL dealer about recieving your purchase.

3. Give seller the dealers info.

4. Pay dealer for the weapon plus any paperwork charges.

Is that about it? My wife is buying me a rifle for Christmas and i need to explain how to buy the gun. She is wanting to get me the Saiga .308 I've been drooling over the past year, and we need to figure out how to get it here without getting raped on price and fees in the process.

Let me know if ya'll know a cool dealer in the DFW area. We could use any help ya'll may have.

For Buying:

1. Locate local dealer for the gun to ship to and have the FFL mailed, emailed or faxed to the seller.

*Once they have the FFL on file, you can do future transactions without having to re-send FFL.

2. You pay the seller directly.

3. Seller ships gun to your local FFL dealer.

4. You pay your local FFL dealer sales tax and transfer fee ($10 to $35 :eek: )

5. You take the gun home.

For Selling:

1. Get a copy of buyer's local dealer's FFL paper for your records.

2. Receive payment from buyer.

3. Ship gun to buyers FFL dealer.

:smoke:

edited to add:

As for locating FFL, gunbroker has listings for valid FFL holders you can search by area.

Edited by dinzag

If you go on.. http://www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi (or just gunsamerica) you will find a list of dealers in your area. The owner can send a long gun directly to a FFL holder (I used FEDEX) for about $25.00. The simpilest way is to have your FFL holder send your certified funds US PRIORITY MAIL and a copy of his FFL to the owner,who then takes the copy of the FFL to FEDEX or UPS as they may want to see it(FEDEX did'nt as he was on their computer list). He should take some extra tape as they may want to see that the gun was not loaded. He should would call first too make sure he understands their rules and that he goes to a main terminal for shipping. All in all, it was painless. Good luck! Make sure you keep the WOMAN.... any woman who buys a man a gun is a keeper! mike g or use dinzag post... I see he beat me by a few minutes..

Edited by mikey1

I would like to add here that the BATFE website has a CURRENT and UPDATED list of VALID FFL holders on file at all times, and that this list can be accessed by ANYONE, as long as they have the FFL holders FFL number.

IT is NOT a VALID means to prove a shipping location... in other words, you cant just tell the seller "here's my guys FFL number, look it up and send him the gun" as I do not know of ANY sellers that will do this without a SIGNED in ink copy in hand.

Personally, I would think that it SHOULD be good enough, I mean it is the BATFE's own site after all... maybe in a few years it will be... here's to hoping...

But, at the very least it will allow one to verify that yes indeed that FFL holder is current and still valid.

Most sellers require a copy of the FFL license signed in ink and snail mailed to them before they will ship the gun to your FFL holder. Some States allow the sellers to go with a faxed copy of the license to speed things up. I bought one of my Saigas from Kentucky like this.

The BATF changed the rules now (within the last 2 months) to allow for scanned & emailed copies or faxes of FFL's. Some dealers may still want an ink signed copy, but my dealer said most of his out of state deals are done by email now. :super: The only change to the rule was that it now allows for copies now so you don't have to have the original ink version.

Indy, yes they do need a copy of the signed FFL in hand, not just the #. The address on the FFL is the only valid address that can be used.

Also the FFL has the date the license is valid through.

I bought a shotgun in New Mexico via fax and another from Arizona via emailed copy. :smoke:

Indy, yes they do need a copy of the signed FFL in hand, not just the #. The address on the FFL is the only valid address that can be used.
Thats what I was saying... :)

"here's my guys FFL number, look it up and send him the gun" as I do not know of ANY sellers that will do this without a SIGNED in ink copy in hand.

Although its nice to hear they can have a copy electronically sent now, instead of snail mailed!

As long as your paying the seller directly for the gun. The local dealer is only doing a transfer...... so no sales tax should apply! You should only have to pay the dealer for the transfer fee.

That would be nice if that were the case, however...

In Michigan it's just like buying an out of state car. You have to pay the man. Period. Private party to private party in the same state is exempt, but if it goes through a FFL dealer you have to pay tax.

As long as your paying the seller directly for the gun. The local dealer is only doing a transfer...... so no sales tax should apply! You should only have to pay the dealer for the transfer fee.

That would be nice if that were the case, however...

In Michigan it's just like buying an out of state car. You have to pay the man. Period. Private party to private party in the same state is exempt, but if it goes through a FFL dealer you have to pay tax.

I guess each State has it differences.... that's too bad........It's always about the dollar.

Also be aware that nearly every state has a waiting period for handguns before you can actually take posession from your FFL that the gun was transferred to. In FL if you want to pick up a handgun and do not have your concealed carry permit issued through the state, you fill out the federal paperwork, pay $5.00 for a phone call to the state, if you are clear you must wait 3 full businees days to come back and actually pay and take possesion.

Also be aware that nearly every state has a waiting period for handguns before you can actually take posession from your FFL that the gun was transferred to. In FL if you want to pick up a handgun and do not have your concealed carry permit issued through the state, you fill out the federal paperwork, pay $5.00 for a phone call to the state, if you are clear you must wait 3 full businees days to come back and actually pay and take possesion.

That sucks. In Michigan you pick up a free pistol purchase permit, go pick pistol up, then take it back to sheriff to register it. The only wait is the drive time...

That sucks. In Michigan you pick up a free pistol purchase permit, go pick pistol up, then take it back to sheriff to register it. The only wait is the drive time...

Yes - it's quite disheartening to watch the buzzkill wiped off the face of a buyer that walks in from a truck loaded with cases of ammo and the range bag to come in to pick up the Desert Eagle for the first time and find he has to wait a week (weekend days don't count) to actually shoot it. One good reason to get your CCW permit.

Wow, That sucks. In Az you fill out the standard form (federal requirement) and as long as you aren't a felon or on probation you get the pistol right away. If you have a concealed carry permit then you don't have to fill out any paperwork you just pick up the pistol. I would freak out if my state required that you get permit or a mandatory waiting period to purchase a weapon!!!

Edited by icarus

Wow, That sucks. In Az you fill out the standard form (federal requirement) and as long as you aren't a felon or on probation you get the pistol right away. If you have a concealed carry permit then you don't have to fill out any paperwork you just pick up the pistol. I would freak out if my state required that you get permit or a mandatory waiting period to purchase a weapon!!!

:lolol: Various Levels Of Sucking!!! :lolol:

I may have to move out there. I remember hopping in my cousin's 4x4, stopping at the Show Low Walmart & picking up some 9mm ammo & Brass Monkey & heading out to a big cinder pit & blasting away while cranking some Beasties & Metallica. There were 80+ kids out there partying. Cops didn't care...ahh the memories! I love that state. The valley kinda sucks, but elsewhere is great.

I have family in Mesa, Globe, Phoenix, ShowLow, Taylor, Pinetop & Payson.