is this normal?

I took apart my new 2012 production S12 I got today to polish a few things before shooting and notice the trigger has a little over travel stop bar in it. Is this normal for a factory gun? The guy i got it from only had ita couple months and said it was bone stock. Im not sure if he ever had the dustcover off, he didn't seem to know a whole lot about guns and i still has (had) factory grease all over.

The piece im talking about is the little question mark shaped piece on the bottom. post-46357-0-77151200-1363053431_thumb.jpg

Cool, i actually started making something similar for my 762 with G2 trigger group.

Now im 100% new to the shotgun side of Saigas so here's another noob question, the gas adjustment dial is what is referred to as a "puck" correct? Or is that something else?

Thanks HPD, i had everything apart cleaning oil and grime off everything but didn't realize the puc was in there.

While we're at it, obviously the regulator is only marked "1" and "2" but if i back it off 1 full revolution from "1" would that be considered "3" and so on? Sorry for the basic questions that've been gone over a billion times.

When reinstalling the gas plug regulator screw it in all the way and then turn it out to the first setting. This will be on #2. Unscrew it another half turn and you'll then be on #1. If you are unturning it a complete revolution you have gone too far. Your factory plug will only have two settings. There is no #3...

Don't apologize. There is no need for that. Just keep asking questions.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Okay, thank you. This is screwed in as far as it'll go and the "2" is where the detent pin is at. So backing it off a half turn to setting "1" will open up the gas to shoot weaker loads or s it the other way aroun?post-46357-0-05664800-1363059989_thumb.jpg

Edited by dubya

I pulled the regulator out again and see now. I thought the angle was on the opposite side it actually was. Makes sense now, thanks again. I have some 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/4 dram loads to test out now and we'll go from there.

I have the stock 5rd a ProMag 10 and AGP 12, any you think might give me problems because of the mag? Ive had promag problems with a 30rd 762 mag before.

I have the stock 5rd a ProMag 10 and AGP 12, any you think might give me problems because of the mag? Ive had promag problems with a 30rd 762 mag before.

Possibly, it is a good idea just to use your factory 5 rounder and see how the gun performs. When you are comfortable and everything is working smooth go with the aftermarket mags and see how well they perform. Aftermarket mags might need some fine tuning.

I'm kinda bummed it doesn't have the LRBH from the factory since it's a 2012 gun i thought i had a decent chance.

Don't be bummed. Your Iz-109 will run md20's, mine won't. Also, at this time aftermarket mags made for the OEM magwell have been sold out since the panic began. Imagine all the guys that bought magwell equipped S-12's during the panic. Those f*ckers have to either modify rock-n-locks or be content with their one magazine that came with the gun.

Who knows, down the road it might become standard to modify all these Iz-109's with an aftermarket LRBHO. Cadiz is offering it now, Cobra has mentioned he has a version as well. Just don't be the first guinea pig to try it. Let others figure it out and you can come in later and learn from all their mistakes.

Pics or it's not real! I just ordered a couple hundred bucks in parts, just for the trigger group on back. I'm still trying to figure out what i want on the front. Either a Kvar, SGM tri rail, or Chaos Titan and either a normal Phantom flash hider or a full barrel shroud. If i use the Chaos i may as well go all out heavy and get the full barrel shroud/brake. Im leaving the front end all stock until im sure this puppy eats everything first.

I really don't want to use the side mount to run a dot (or pay $150 for the weld on rail) but i might for now. My buddy owns a metal fab shop and has a mill, lathe and a few welders so i might try to fabricate my own rail to weld on the DC.

One last question i forgot to ask tonight (promise), will i have room to use that overtravel stop on my G2 trigger?

Thanks again to everyone

Cory

• Like 1

Okay so i want to be 100% sure before i go shoot tomorrow... (i didn't get the manual with the S12)

In the picture, the regulator is screwed in as tight as it'll go. I would think by looking at the number's that it's set on "2" since the 2 is by the detent pin or is it opposite of what im thinking? It just seems odd that it looks like it's on "2" when it's screwed in as tight as it'll go.

Cory, when the plug is screwed in as far as it will go and then slightly backed out it will be on setting #2.

As per Tromix's website...

Gas Adjustment: There is a gas regulator knob in the front of the gas block, marked “1” and “2”. The “1” setting is for heavy loads and the “2” setting is for light loads. To adjust the setting, depress the small detent in the 7-o’clock position and turn the regulator to either 1, or 2. Keep the regulator screwed into the gas block as far as possible when moving between selections, ie, screw it in completely and then back it out to the desired setting. DO NOT FIRE YOUR GUN ON SETTING NUMBER 2 WITH HEAVY LOADS! You will beat the back of the dust cover in, until it is so short it will begin popping out of the track in the front. I will no longer Warranty this condition if you damage your gun in this manner. When switching to new ammo, always put the regulator on #1 and test fire. If it does not cycle, THEN put it on #2.

So no doubting the master...

Thanks again. I guess what had me confused was the whole tightening it down then backing it off to a setting because mine stops tightening at the same time setting 2 is next to the pin so im not backing it out unless i want setting 1.

That's the way it is in the manual, and this is how it's supposed to be. That said though.... there are some guns they screwed up the GB threads, or the Gas regulator threads, and on these guns you sometimes have to back it out one additional turn to get them to cycle low brass. It's not all that common but it does happen.

Cool, i wasn't sure since i didn't get the manual with the gun. I actually shot today and shot 3" mag slugs 3 1/2 dram down to 2 3/4" 8 shot 2 3/4 dram and i only had 4 FTE in 50 rounds of the "low brass" on setting "1". On setting "2" it cycled it 100% perfect. I ordered an Auto Plug from the E store when i got home so hopefully that'll help me fine tune it. I see no reason to pull the GB and check ports unless i have issues. I have all my parts except a Chaos Titan on the way this week but I've heard putting a aftermarket handguard on can mess with the function so we'll see when i actually find a Titan to buy.

BTW, i was using the stock 5rd, SGM 12 rd and ProMag 10rd and all worked great including the ProMag to my surprise. (I've had issues with them in other guns)

Yeah that's what was confusing me. I think there is alot of variation in these things because ill tighten mine as tight as I can by hand and the detent pin is exactly in the "2" slot so i back it off 1/2 turn for "1" and surprisingly most ammo shoots pretty well there but if i tighten it back down to "2" everything cycles 100%. Hopefully it still shoots as well after my conversion and new Auto Plug.

Sound's like i may have gotten lucky, seems like there are alot of very picky S12's out there.

If i find one im buying it for myself first but if i find 2 I'll let you know.

Dubya where did you find a chaos titan at, ive been looking for over a month now?
Re-read post #21

Isn't that your gun with a Titan in your profile pic? If so don't hog em all up!

Edited by dubya
I know you are not new to the AK platform but I wanted you to see this thread about coloring/painting/etching/stamping. I plan on doing something to those regulator settings so I can see them easier. I recommend the same...
I think I'm going to get some whiteout and do the "Saiga - 12" and the "Made In Russia By Izmash"

Ok sounds good thax
I wasn't being a jerk but if you read #21 closer you'll see that I'm still looking for a Titan, hence I don't know where to find one.