20130318_201432.jpg

Just picked up my new 22" S308. Gun was purchased through kvar and is a 2009 model. When i got home, i was looking it over and noticed a chip missing on the left side of the front trunnion. Has anyone else seen this? Do any of your guns have this?

Thanks

Jon

Edited by sapper1371usmc

Thanks, Red. A picture says a thousand words. I had two of these guns in the past and never noticed them having this "chunk" missing in the front trunnion lug. Must have overlooked it, but at the same time, I did not know much about AKs other than how to convert, so I probably assumed everything was as it should be.

One thing I noticed, at least from the angle you took the picture, yours doesnt appear to be as deep as mine.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

You'll notice it is at the same level as the extractor cutout in the barrel. It's there to add a feed ramp to the barrel so rounds don't get stopped on a high angle surface. Think of it like this, if that area was extremely sharp and a round went in to feed, it could likely get the rim of the cartridge caught on it and cause a FTF. With it angled in just deep enough to still allow for full chamber wall support, it aids in reliability. Hope that helps explain it a little and eases some of your nervousness beer.gif