wear on 5 round mag front lug

have any of you noticed any wear on your 5 round mag front lugs? i have one that has worn unevenly so that it wants to mount slightly off center, and needs to be babied in or it wont seat properly. i use it as my first [in the gun] mag so i wont get stuck with a jammed reload.

pat

post-1537-1133259220_thumb.jpg

post-1537-1133259240_thumb.jpg

Edited by detpat

If you are talking about the left side, it comes off center. If there is some other wear problem, I can't see it in those pics. The reinforced polyamide has steel undrneath it. It shouldn't go complete negative function. Check the inside of the mag well where it rides. I have never seen any unusual wear because of the lug recepticle. Maybe yours has a problem.

Edited by inparidel
the mag well appears to be good, i don't have a problem with my other mags. this one just wants to twist and stick. btw, i had a mag lose it's metal lip insert the other day. i dropped a mag and it just popped off. thought that was odd.

pat

OK. Two things. . .The thing that popped off--the shell holder/guide--does that. It's no big deal. Just snap it back on. I meant that the front mag well hook that you have showing in the pic has solid steel moulded inside of it. I cut up a couple of 5 rounders to try my hand at an 8-9 rounder once (didn't quite work). The entire top edge, as well as the front and back spine has steel reinforcing inside the plastic.

I bought 5 5rd mags from Kalishnikov USA back in early 2001-2 all 5 came like that out of the wrapper! I called the guys down in Port St. Lucie, and they said that the russkies either grind them down a little or do something to them to make them fit a little better once off the assy line...I thought he was full of shit, but then i saw the s-12 5 rd mags my friend had, and they were the same way as well...they all fit and functioned flawlessly, so I chalked it up to a WTF scenario, and left it at that.. for some reason, the 8's dont have nearly as much "wear" to them on the front lug...strange. One of the mysteries of the Izmash factory i suppose.

We are talking about the "majority" engineering that the Ruskies seem to practice. Slant brakes help right-handed shooters, which the majority of shooters are. The "missing" part of the 5 round mags also seem to assist right-handed shooters that use their left hand (as I do) to load mags.

Edited by inparidel