So finally had time to test yesterday....It runs universal out of the drum!!!! 027.gif

Went thru 250 rds of low brass and 50 rounds mixed of slugs and 00 buck.

You can definitely tell when one of the 1600 fps slugs goes down range..shocked.gif

Only had a small issue...On the high brass rounds the extractor was hanging up...It wouldn't let the round come flush with the bolt, and the bolt would not close or cycle back to eject the round...I could take my pocket knife and pull the extractor up and the shell would go flush and the bolt would close and I could fire the round....only happened 3 to 4 times....I thinking I need to take the bolt apart and clean it.....never had this problem before....I am probably close to 1000 rds and I have not stripped the bolt to clean....

Happiness is a pile of empty hulls!!!!!

Edited by sccritterkiller
  • Like 1
So finally had time to test yesterday....It runs universal out of the drum!!!! 027.gif

Went thru 250 rds of low brass and 50 rounds mixed of slugs and 00 buck.

You can definitely tell when one of the 1600 fps slugs goes down range..shocked.gif

Only had a small issue...On the high brass rounds the extractor was hanging up...It wouldn't let the round come flush with the bolt, and the bolt would not close or cycle back to eject the round...I could take my pocket knife and pull the extractor up and the shell would go flush and the bolt would close and I could fire the round....only happened 3 to 4 times....I thinking I need to take the bolt apart and clean it.....never had this problem before....I am probably close to 1000 rds and I have not stripped the bolt to clean....

Happiness is a pile of empty hulls!!!!!

grimace.gif Congrats!!!

You can definitely tell when one of the 1600 fps slugs goes down range..:shocked:

You got that right! I opened up my 4 port gun last week and holy crap those high brass slugs kick! Good thing I'll only shoot them at deer and won't feel anything anyway.

That "jet effect" is contrary to fluid mechanics and will matter not at all. What moves the piston is

gas PRESSURE, not velocity of the flow through the jets.

The comment about the backward cant not scraping wad is accurate.

I can't remember my nozzle equations at the moment (long day), but I think I can make the point like this.

When the gun goes off, the gas is expanding towards the muzzle, yet the gas jets still work, even though

they are pointed away from the expanding gasses. This is because the gas is pushing in all directions, against

the wad, against the barrel, against the bolt. The only way for it to go is out the bore, and out the jets.

Minus the short time it takes to pressurize the gas block, it then pushes against the puck, and it moves to the end

of its channel, providing the impulse for the op rod.

The plug adjusts the pressure by limiting the path into the block. Since a gunshot is a transitory event, the jets meter

the gas via I'm assuming the mass flow rate = area * velocity equation with the velocity, I guess, somewhat constant.

More area, more gas, as we all know. But, direction doesn't matter. I think the only dangerous thing that he could have

done is limit the sealing ability of the plug at the closed off position, and maybe made it run a little gassier on that setting.

Just musings of a tired engineer on the road, your mileage may vary.

Great explanation! What gets me is that the behavior of fluid through nozzles vs. diffusers inverts (flip-flops) at the speed of sound. This should make things very unreliable around 1130 fps or so. I suppose the gasses would flow through the ports (smaller surface area) at a velocity much greater than the muzzle velocity of the projectile. Smaller, more numerous ports seem to be ideal for consistent metering of fluid pressure as well as debris reduction. Larger ports approach the diameter of the muzzle, reducing (in theory) port gas velocity and repeatability. Thanks for helping me realize that! I really like the simplicity of design displayed in these things.

• Like 1