Is this hammer square enough?

I have the factory hammer and I have polished and rounded the corners bit. So I didn't alter the profile much. I've been reading that the hammer should rest square on the bolt tail. My hammer has a little gap on bottom part when resting on the bolt tail. Should I make it more flat or is it flat enough?

Damn difficult to take pictures of that...

post-43661-0-69147100-1364291296_thumb.jpgpost-43661-0-83950900-1364291299.jpg

I dont have an answer, but want it as you do.

I have the factory hammer and I have polished and rounded the corners bit. So I didn't alter the profile much. I've been reading that the hammer should rest square on the bolt tail. My hammer has a little gap on bottom part when resting on the bolt tail. Should I make it more flat or is it flat enough?

Damn difficult to take pictures of that...

That is an under statement, I have a BIG magnifying glass to even see what you took a pic of.

I'm asking this because this is the Factory hammer profile and it's not resting flat in my case. I know lot of you guys have changed the trigger and reprofiled it. I didn't reprofile mine because i wasn't sure if factory hammers need profiling too (do they?).

What would be the benefits of ideal hammer profile (Other than reduced friction)?

The hammer is striking the firing pin fine. All I can think of is that the bolt tail could wear more from the upper side as the pressure is not distribued evenly. Is there enough force in the hammer to damage the bolt? Something else?

I am very picky with the work that I perform, but what you have there will likely not effect function. I could not live with it, but I am not doing the work, so my standard is irrelevant to your weapon. I am coming to the realization that it is a bit much for me to expect others, professional and non-professional, to adhere to my standards or even recognize them as standards. I can merely offer a suggestion and it is either accepted or disregarded. So, shoot it. If you have light strikes, address the profile if it isn't going to affect disconnector function. Raise hell and post some video of it.

• Like 1

Remonti, could you please post a pic of your hammer showing the hammer to bolt contact area . Im interested to see what kind of wear or marks would be showing on hammer after firing that many rounds with hammer at that angle. Thank you. Im trying to figure out my tapco profile and this may help me a little.

Remonti, could you please post a pic of your hammer showing the hammer to bolt contact area . Im interested to see what kind of wear or marks would be showing on hammer after firing that many rounds with hammer at that angle. Thank you. Im trying to figure out my tapco profile and this may help me a little.

Sure

post-43661-0-39534000-1365002954_thumb.jpgpost-43661-0-93575700-1365002956_thumb.jpg

Just profile it like the factory hammer.

I just rounded the edge nearest the hammer spring, and opened my ports and its 100% with bulk.

You can even use the factory hammer if you're worried about BCG peening, but I wouldn't worry about that. The BCG is really hard steel.

Just profile it like the factory hammer.

I just rounded the edge nearest the hammer spring, and opened my ports and its 100% with bulk.

You can even use the factory hammer if you're worried about BCG peening, but I wouldn't worry about that. The BCG is really hard steel.

My factory hammer was pretty beat up so I'm not sure about matching it.. My 12 cycled almost everything on setting 1(factory plug). I noticed after conversion that my tapco hammer sits higher when set, and at an angle similar to Remonti's when fired. I noticed some half moon shaped witnessing or marks on my hammer(very light) after a couple of boxes through it after conversion. It cycled well w/field loads on dph plug set at #4. Im just not sure about hammer. Thanx for the pics Remonti

Edited by z-mashin