^^^ Thats part of my dilemma. I dont have to inform, and when I see videos of bad LEOs who put the CHP holder on the ground and arrest them, I keep wondering, why be polite if I might just get F-d?

I don't think I'll have a chance to informhaha.gifhorror.gif For good measure there's and NRA sticker on the windshield.

0AFF0C97-4C24-489D-B666-FC92A7A685C8-164

A8DBB1BE-0495-4D37-A20E-EBD45CC98C89-164

It's a good Idea to inform right away CCW or off duty LOE. Lot of strange ones out there. In FL you cannot be asked but in the real world It's a good Idea to inform with your hands in clear sight

Anyone else here live in "tornado alley?" I'm only 10 miles from Xenia, OH, which was flattened once and has had two or three other tornadoes in the area...

Anyone know how to build an underground storm shelter, or have one? unsure.png

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I ran two stop signs and didn't even get a ticket after the cop talked carry guns with me for a couple of mins. Are you close to atl cause that would explain it. Either that it your black.

About 35 miles North of Atlanta. Grew up around here, but every day now i wish I lived somewhere else besides Cobb County....deadhorse.gif

Anyone else here live in "tornado alley?" I'm only 10 miles from Xenia, OH, which was flattened once and has had two or three other tornadoes in the area...

Dig a hole. line it with reinforced block, then put a flat as possible (or recessed in block) door on it?

Edited by Big John!

Dig a hole. line it with reinforced block, then put a flat as possible (or recessed in block) door on it?

You can pretty much make a crude hole in the ground and like Big John mentioned line it with 8" cmu. My concern would be with it becoming a water hole.

My weekend hole making process would look like this...

- 4" concrete slab reinforced with wire mesh. Before pouring the concrete set in a 4" drain and piping that runs to daylight. Line exterior of slab with concrete rated moisture barrier.

- build up 8" cmu's along the perimeter. Line the exterior of the cmu's with a concrete rated moisture barrier.

- add a thickened slab as a cover with allowance for a door. This would be the hardest as you'd have to shore up form work. And reinforce it with wire mesh and #5 rebar

Note the most important steps is the drain and the water barrier that lines around the entire structure; top, bottom, and sides.

Size of the concrete box depends on your family. I'm thinking you could huddle in a few people for a short period of time in a 4x4x4. Before carrying out any construction plans I'd search the internet and ask the locals what they do. Since this recent disaster I've heard news stories saying a storm shelter costs $5,000 - $10,000. This is bullshit. Concrete is a forgiving material. The hardest part is putting in the work.

Edited: I personally like this application. Constructing it indoors eliminates the need to prep for moisture buildup.

2012-11-17%2015.19.24.jpg?pictureId=1700

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Linky no worky... :(

I've thought about having a screened-in porch added to the back of the house, with a basement/shelter under it. Like you said, though, that would probably be $5-10k though. :unsure:

I believe I fixed the issue with the link not working. If not think 3' wide x 6 ' long x 5' high concrete box with steel door installed in the garage. Essentially a deep gun safe that could save the lives of a family of four. I think it could be done for under 2k with the steel door and labor using up most of the budget. I personally believe people over think this process. A 1950's style bunker is not needed. You don't need to store provisions nor should it be designed to be lived in for long periods of time. I heard stories of 3 people riding out the storm huddled in their bathtub while the roof and walls were flying away. That's what you need; a small space to anchor you to the ground while protecting you from flying debris.

Edited: A few days ago I watched this video of the Moore Tornado. I seriously choked up. At 6:30 in the video the tornado crosses the interstate. At 6:50 you can see cars flying what appears to be a couple hundred feet in the air. I was shocked. I questioned if I just watched the last moments of someone's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L-XExpb3pY

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

I believe I fixed the issue with the link not working. If not think 3' wide x 6 ' long x 5' high concrete box with steel door installed in the garage. Essentially a deep gun safe that could save the lives of a family of four. I think it could be done for under 2k with the steel door and labor using up most of the budget. I personally believe people over think this process. A 1950's style bunker is not needed. You don't need to store provisions nor should it be designed to be lived in for long periods of time. I heard stories of 3 people riding out the storm huddled in their bathtub while the roof and walls were flying away. That's what you need; a small space to anchor you to the ground while protecting you from flying debris.

My thought is, that if I'm going to have a shelter built, it should be large enough to camp in for a week, in case a tornado does hit and the house goes to Oz without me... You can't live out of a pile of debris, which is what so many people in OK have now. :(