Three suspected burglars on Tuesday broke into Texas man’s home, beat him, and then forced him into an upstairs closet.

Luckily for the homeowner, his assailants made a ​huge ​mistake: they put him into same closet where he keeps his guns.

Houston Police Department Sgt. Jerry Brandon told an ABC affiliate the homeowner thought the three men had left his home after a few minutes and headed downstairs, firearm in hand.

This is where he confronted one of the burglars and exchanged fire, wounding the intruder. The two other men escaped, according to authorities, while their compatriot has been hospitalized.

homeowner-defends-with-gun_KTRK.jpg

Police outside the home Tuesday after a homeowner defended himself against intruders with a firearm. (Image: KTRK video screenshot)

“Guess what? The owner had a gun,” neighbor Craig Gaddis told KTRK. “He did exactly what he was supposed to do — with the gun, that’s what they’re made for — protect his home.”

craig-neighbor.jpg

(Image: KTRK video screenshot)

The Houston Chronicle reported Gaddis saying a similar robbery occurred a couple weeks ago in the same area and neighbors believe they are connected.

Charges are expected to be brought against the wounded intruder, but not the homeowner, according to the report.

the other thread said it was the child of the homeowner, and that he was not beaten, but simply put in the closet. who knows what really happened, but it does seem the good guys struck back successfully.

Oh shit it was Gaddis for real? or just a guy with the name?

I thought the Gaddis part was a joke I was not in on before.

I feel late to the game heh

No, you're right. The Gaddis on the forum here lives in NJ (unfortunately! :( ).

I actually lived in Texas once for six months though in the early Eighties. Wish I was still there. :(

• Like 1