Look guys... everyone here understands that by shooting anyone it is very possible to result in killing them. When someone says they 'shoot to kill', they simply mean there is no warning shots or attempt to wing them or other half-assery.

They understand that they are shooting-to-kill to end-the-threat.

This does not mean that they're going to shoot the guy even after he's running off down the road or finishing them off after they're lying unconscious on the ground. Furthermore, a grand jury isn't going to indict you just because you told the cops you meant to kill someone when you shot them. If you're applying deadly force, its pretty much implied that you understand that it can result in someones death (duh).

That kind of statement alone carries no premeditation or aggravated circumstances with it. If you're justified in shooting, you're justified... Whether you say you wanted to kill them so bad you could taste the hate on your teeth or that you only really meant to make them a tiny bit scared with the loud banging noises weighs not on the justifiability of a homicide; it's only the actual circumstances leading up to it that matter.

• Like 1

I find it better to sometimes keep opinions to myself -- especially when said opinions could (and probably will) be used agains't me in a court of law if the need ever arose. It has nothing to do with being PC or cowed by the "law", it's just using common sense and being smart. A head's up for all concerned...

Look guys... everyone here understands that by shooting anyone it is very possible to result in killing them. When someone says they 'shoot to kill', they simply mean there is no warning shots or attempt to wing them or other half-assery.

They understand that they are shooting-to-kill to end-the-threat.

This does not mean that they're going to shoot the guy even after he's running off down the road or finishing them off after they're lying unconscious on the ground. Furthermore, a grand jury isn't going to indict you just because you told the cops you meant to kill someone when you shot them. If you're applying deadly force, its pretty much implied that you understand that it can result in someones death (duh).

That kind of statement alone carries no premeditation or aggravated circumstances with it. If you're justified in shooting, you're justified... Whether you say you wanted to kill them so bad you could taste the hate on your teeth or that you only really meant to make them a tiny bit scared with the loud banging noises weighs not on the justifiability of a homicide; it's only the actual circumstances leading up to it that matter.

I feel that this sums it up. If there is any doubt that it was no justified, then it goes to trial.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I am just telling you, honestly, albeit indirectly. Any good lawyer worth his salt is going to tell you, if you consult them in advance, that you should never tell anyone you were trying to kill them. You were just "trying to stop the threat". I think Bigtwin has actually been there, if you read between the lines. He has indicated the same.

Given that, I think everyone should be able to see that they are well advised to guard how they say what they say. Remember, anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you. A death is merely an unfortunate biproduct of the attempt to stop the threat.

And for a DA not bringing charges, you have to remember, many of these guys are trying to make a name for themselves, and it rarely involves showing the public they only prosecute cases when proper; much more often it involves being able to tell the public how many bad guys they put in jail.

Guys, the last thing I wanted to do was kill someone. It was even difficult for me to violate the rule of "never point a gun at someone". But when I saw them before they saw me, and I noticed their demeanor, body motions, and other factors I don't wish to disclose, I had to decide what was next. I decided to draw, aim, and take control. When they reacted by running away, I allowed them. Will they come back? Honestly, I don't think so. I saw the fear of God in their eyes when I yelled and they saw my weapon. It was that look of SOL. They know I let them go. They know I got a good look at all their faces. And in this small town, they know they are easy to find.

• Like 2

Guys, the last thing I wanted to do was kill someone. It was even difficult for me to violate the rule of "never point a gun at someone". But when I saw them before they saw me, and I noticed their demeanor, body motions, and other factors I don't wish to disclose, I had to decide what was next. I decided to draw, aim, and take control. When they reacted by running away, I allowed them. Will they come back? Honestly, I don't think so. I saw the fear of God in their eyes when I yelled and they saw my weapon. It was that look of SOL. They know I let them go. They know I got a good look at all their faces. And in this small town, they know they are easy to find.

You did the right thing. Hope your drink was a strong one last night.

DLT, you did what you thought was right for your situation! I commend you for that. As I stated before, if you feel comfortable in your actions...then I aplaud you(you did the right thing)! My hopes is that it will end at what you did(seems so, from your posts).

All I can say from here is be ever vigilant and protect you and yours! You have done so , so far! Hopefuly this will blow over and go away, then your family can live life as normal!