Shell size

Can the S-12 shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells? Do you need to adjust the gas port or anything? I thought I read something hear about that with the .410. Also, what is the bolt stop and the muzzle adaptor? Is the adaptor a choke system? I'm wanting to get one if they ever become available and am trying to decide which one. I want it to be a versatile weapon. Home defense and field use. So for that I want a choke system. I some come factory. Or would it be better to get a smooth bore 24" and cut it back a little and have it threaded to take Mosberg/Remington chokes? And do the 12's have the side rail also?

Thanks,

Doug

Can the S-12 shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells?

Sure

Do you need to adjust the gas port or anything?
It depends, after break-in they mostly seem to run fine on the lower gas setting for even low-power shells.

Also, what is the bolt stop and the muzzle adaptor? Is the adaptor a choke system?

Some come with a factory BHO, though they are manually operated, not empty mag actuated.

I'm wanting to get one if they ever become available and am trying to decide which one. I want it to be a versatile weapon. Home defense and field use. So for that I want a choke system. I some come factory. Or would it be better to get a smooth bore 24" and cut it back a little and have it threaded to take Mosberg/Remington chokes?
I think they are all smooth-bore. Who knows when new ones will show up. Lot's of folks opt for rem-chokes.

And do the 12's have the side rail also?

Mine does, I think they all do.

Thanks,

Doug

You're welcome!

2 3/4 and 3 inch shells shoot fine.

Setting #1 is for powerful shells, setting 2 is for low power shells.

The longest barrel I have ever seen was a 22 inch although they say there are longer ones. IMHO the 22 fixed full choke is great for every thing. I used it for competition for a long time now I have it threaded for Win Choke which are fine but Full was just as good. Before I had it threaded my son and I won a lot of Turkey Shoots with it. I have used it in Three gun and Tactical Shotgun matches. If you want an HD gun it is hard to beat the Saiga. Seriously for HD anything will do. DB, Pump, or Semi as long as you work with it and become expert in it's use, but for a gun for all eventualites the Saiga is the gun for the job (getting good with the Saiga also take practice).

Thanks again. I've had several pump guns. The last one I had I really liked but used it toward a trade for my first Kalishvinov(I know I spelled that wrong) style rifle. I now have two and want more......S-12 and the .308 for starters. If I can get a S-12 I think I'll be good to go, especially if I can fit it with choke tubes. Anyone shoot slugs out of thier S-12's? And what type off competition do they have at the tactical meets?

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone shoot slugs out of thier S-12's?

Thanks,

Doug

I shoot mostly slugs or 00.

3" magnum slugs are awefully fun.

Just make sure you set your gas setting to #1 for the magnum slugs. I didn't and it deformed the rear trunion block. Thanks to Cobra 76 two for troubleshooting that for me a few months back.

My gas setting is now at 2 located on the 8 o'clock positon when facint the gas tube. In what direction do yo turn the gas tube to go to setting 1, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Push and hold the the detent pin down while turning the gas tube clockwise until it lines up with the pin and number #1. Usually you can easily turn the gas tube by hand if you keep the pin pushed down while you turn it.

Edited by TacticalResponse
My gas setting is now at 2 located on the 8 o'clock positon when facint the gas tube. In what direction do yo turn the gas tube to go to setting 1, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

The important thing is to turn the "blind plug"(part with the numbers on it) clockwise until it is screwed all the way in and then back off to the first setting the detent pin clicks into. If this is #2 on yours then keep unscrewing it until it locks in on #1.