Brother in law has his mothers old Buckmark, absolutelly a piece of art! Great shooter. I have had a stainless target model Mark II forever and thousands of rounds downrange and nary a hiccup. If I were rich, I'd probably have one of them all, love 22s!

Went to Bass Pro and picked out the new Ruger 22/45 lite with the threaded barrel and rail will be shooting it tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Thanks all for the input

And yes it is Frog Lubed.

Remington should just build a pistol around the 597 receiver and end all our problems. That would be simple and ultra reliable.

I had a 597 rifle for a while. It was a reliable, decent weapon. I just didn't like the almost utter lack of an aftermarket. Got a 10/22, sold the 597 and never looked back.

I've yet to fire a semi auto 22 that I could count on. I hear good things about the Mark series though. If I were to own a 22 pistol, it would probably be a revolver.

Try the Walther P22. Best semi-auto I've ever owned, and backed up by a great practical warranty.

Parts wear out - they get replaced.

I have 3 friends with broken p22s. I do not recommend. Pot metal slide and manufaturing inconsistencies make what can be a neat gun a Do Not buy for me. My thoughts are if you want a mosquito or a P22 get an SR22 which is less likely to break. Yes it has a stupid safety, but it is quickly getting a reputation for eating anything you feed it. That's kind of a big deal with this class of gun since many people report problems with ammo choice in the other two.

I have owned the SR22 and agree it is well built. It was too ammo sensitive to cycle reliably though. Ended up selling it and bought a Ruger Mark 22/45. Much better for me and it fires everything I have put through it except the CCI Quiet Ammo. If I pull the trigger it better go bang or it will end up on backpage in no time flat.

Went to Bass Pro and picked out the new Ruger 22/45 lite with the threaded barrel and rail will be shooting it tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Thanks all for the input

And yes it is Frog Lubed.

I have one of these myself. It is GTG, you will be pleased until you try to clean it! It is a great little gun in spite of all of that.

When you watch the youtube videos (and you will) on how to disassemble the 22/45 and it tells you to hold it upside down, while cradeling it sideways, pulling this lever, releasing the mag, pulling the trigger, and contorting your body in just such a way do it or you will just get pissed off and have to call your neighbor who owns one. Ha ha. Love the gun in every respect except cleaning it :)

Just having my morning coffee here before the wife and I go to the range.

When I tried to put the pistol back together by the instructions, I had a problem but I was expecting it.

After watching the video It dawned on me, this thing has a mag safety. Went right together and by the request of the little woman I did it 5 more times each less than a minute.

Rail is on, red dot is zeroed,feed ramp and some areas polished, Frog Lubed and no rain this morning.

Looked at the browning 1911-22, Colt 1911-22,Sr-22, Mark3, (3) Buckmark's and the M&P 22 all great guns.

Really liked the 1911's but when I held this 22/45 lite I knew it was the gun, 1911 handle ,threaded barrel and rail .

The wife said With the exception of bird hunting this is the first time I have seen you excited about going to the range.

I think she is right, this is a toy, my toy ( when I did my Saiga and took it to the range to see how it worked was cool also)

Oh I just found out that she had talked with my older brother to see how much a long range rifle set up would cost`( Wow what a woman) but when I told her I would like to get a 22 pistol she knew she was going to keep a good part of he house money.

Bye for now

The deal is done but I thought I'd mention the Smith and Wesson 22A. We have 4 at the range and they get a lot of use from new shooters, beginner lessons etc. and run very well.

attachicon.gifsw-22a.jpg

I'd like to try one of those. It's what replaced my pistol. It kind of looks malformed to me but if it feels good that could change my mind. The way s&W does the barrel under the 'lug' on their 22 target pistols and threaded bushing on the end of the barrel makes them a very natural suppressor host.