Mid Barrel Comp Prototype Testing

We designed and built a mid-barrel comp for the MKA. We removed all human touch from the testing procedure to ensure uniform and unbiased results. The comp shown is our prototype. Some refinement will be done before offering it for sale. Here is the video and results.

I liked the video. Any comparison footage of screw in comps?

p.s. I may copy your hydraulic trigger rig.

Any chance of a close up on the trigger rig?

Also, I am curious whether your production version will have any porting on top.

Also, I am curious whether your production version will have any porting on top.

Check out midway for the hydraulic trigger. On closeout currently. Hyskore Hydraulic Trigger Release.

We have not done any comparison tests with the screw in comps as we do not have any. If anyone has one and wants it tested send it our way. We will test it and send it back in a day or two.

We did some tests today with a little porting coming out of the top of the comp. Muzzle rise was cut by 75% over non-comped but recoil was increased over the comp in the video, which was to be expected. The side port size will need to be changed if top ports are added to keep the volume the same.

I assume everyone would agree keeping muzzle rise to the absolute minimum is more important than recoil reduction?

If so I will have my son work up a new design utilizing top ports.

Check out midway for the hydraulic trigger. On closeout currently. Hyskore Hydraulic Trigger Release.

We have not done any comparison tests with the screw in comps as we do not have any. If anyone has one and wants it tested send it our way. We will test it and send it back in a day or two.

We did some tests today with a little porting coming out of the top of the comp. Muzzle rise was cut by 75% over non-comped but recoil was increased over the comp in the video, which was to be expected. The side port size will need to be changed if top ports are added to keep the volume the same.

I assume everyone would agree keeping muzzle rise to the absolute minimum is more important than recoil reduction?

If so I will have my son work up a new design utilizing top ports.

Thanks. I thought you cobbled it together out of cheap Ag. syringes.

I know most of the race guys are all about keeping the sights on target, and only look at recoil reduction as a bonus. For those, I would think they would want it optimized for fairly light ammo, since that is what most of the race guys run. However, that is only my second hand opinion, so don't listen to me very much.

I always liked the look of Alex Wakal's dreadnought mid brake and liked the idea of having it tapped for a bit of Pic rail. I know a lot of people go for the barret-esque shape. Anyway, if you can make your profile a little less chunky and chamfer the edges it would look a lot better to me. Again, though, ignore the armchair manufacturer.

I agree that muzzle rise reduction is more important overall. I also think based on others results with screw in muzzle brakes that I would be more apt to go that way, it get's that muzzle blast farther away, it isn't permanent and if you continue to make improvements, people can upgrade at a reasonable cost. Just my opinions here...so take it for what it's worth, I applaude anyone's efforts towards improving this platform.

We have been looking for SOME test of muzzle brakes that doesn't rely on a person shooting several different brakes, then saying xyz brake is best "butt dyno" .

The fitty% tactical vids seem fairly good but rely on the human element.

It's too easy to change the outcome, the HUMAN element needs to be as far removed as possible, IMO , we may not be doing it right either but to me we're headed in the right direction.

I think some measurements removing the human element is a first step, then move on the personal testing. That's my 2 cents.

For example MY initial "butt dyno" test, I didn't think there was much difference, when I shot Joshua's gun, I "thought" mine had less recoil without the compwacko.png

We will offer a barrel/comp package, most likely, as well as setting up your barrel with a comp.

The barrel/comp package is a great idea. You get the best of both worlds. I've wanted to try an MKA comp, but mine is running so sweet with the stock barrel I hate to mess with it.

As it continues to break in, the lighter I can go with the shells. Yesterday I went through a box of Remington STS 1145 fps shells without a hiccup.

I always liked the look of Alex Wakal's dreadnought mid brake and liked the idea of having it tapped for a bit of Pic rail. I know a lot of people go for the barret-esque shape. Anyway, if you can make your profile a little less chunky and chamfer the edges it would look a lot better to me. Again, though, ignore the armchair manufacturer.

The design shown in the video was milled out quickly just as a proof of concept. We are running new design today, to maximize the potential of the comp. Refinements to the exterior of the comp will come once our internal design is complete. It will be more attractive than the "chunky" version shown.

We will offer a barrel/comp package, most likely, as well as setting up your barrel with a comp.

As it continues to break in, the lighter I can go with the shells. Yesterday I went through a box of Remington STS 1145 fps shells without a hiccup.

Your experience is the same as we've had, even with the PRE XN models, I could run 1145's in mine with NO modifications(spring, porting etc.) We are running 1145's now with our comp , XN model , had to make a few barrel port adjustments to find the sweet spot.

finishing the 4th test concept now, working toward lowering the muzzle rise hoping for 75% reduction.

Your experience is the same as we've had, even with the PRE XN models, I could run 1145's in mine with NO modifications(spring, porting etc.) We are running 1145's now with our comp , XN model , had to make a few barrel port adjustments to find the sweet spot.

finishing the 4th test concept now, working toward lowering the muzzle rise hoping for 75% reduction.

Mine is a pre-XN. Are the barrels the same or different? If different, will you offer the barrel/comp set for us old timers?

Mine is a pre-XN. Are the barrels the same or different? If different, will you offer the barrel/comp set for us old timers?

Barrels are different (gas block placement is the main difference). We don't have any pre-XN's here but one of our buddies has one and I think he is itching to get his hands on a comp. We will have to do some testing on the pre-XN guns with our new comp design, to see where we need to port, and how aggressive we can port it. We do have a few pre-XN barrels in stock to play with as well. We will keep you posted.

Are these comps a direct gas port design or a chambered baffle design? The comp just looks so bulky like its a chambered design, but maybe that's because its just a prototype version like already mentioned.

In my limited experience and research the direct gas or vector design similar to what Firebird uses gives the most felt recoil reduction. The chambered design allows the hot gas to slow down too much before it exits the comp and doesn't add much felt recoil reduction in "my opinion". Looks like you have found a way to successfully move the comp farther down the barrel than others and still cycle though. Maybe you are just drilling less holes in the barrel? Either way, Kudos on that! Looks much better the way you have it than some MKAs I have seen where the comp is like 2"-3" down the barrel. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me......

If you get the design just right then I will definitely be interested in purchasing a few. Subscribed!

Also, you may want to make your design so it will clamp/bolt onto the Saiga 12 barrels as well. The barrel ODs may be the same for both, but just wanted to mention that. Will give you multiple markets for your products.

As always, keep up the good work guys!

• 5 weeks later...

Saw this yesterday .

We are planning to start running them out on the mills first of next week. Available for sale shortly after. We will be offering a barrel/comp package for those of you who would like to have an extra barrel on hand. We are also trying to get a few 22" barrels for those of you who would like a longer barrel or comped 22" barrel. 

Tooth and Nail Armory

Are these comps a direct gas port design or a chambered baffle design?  The comp just looks so bulky like its a chambered design, but maybe that's because its just a prototype version like already mentioned.

In my limited experience and research the direct gas or vector design similar to what Firebird uses gives the most felt recoil reduction.  The chambered design allows the hot gas to slow down too much before it exits the comp and doesn't add much felt recoil reduction in "my opinion".  Looks like you have found a way to successfully move the comp farther down the barrel than others and still cycle though.  Maybe you are just drilling less holes in the barrel? Either way, Kudos on that!  Looks much better the way you have it than some MKAs I have seen where the comp is like 2"-3" down the barrel.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me......

If you get the design just right then I will definitely be interested in purchasing a few.  Subscribed! 

Also, you may want to make your design so it will clamp/bolt onto the Saiga 12 barrels as well.  The barrel ODs may be the same for both, but just wanted to mention that.  Will give you multiple markets for your products.

As always, keep up the good work guys!

Comp is a direct gas port design. Extreme dimensions are 3.5 x 2. We went with a slightly larger comp to get a smooth flow of gas in the direction we wanted. This reduces all turbulence and makes the comp more efficient. 

We have successfully placed our comp in two different locations on the barrel. My sons was the first one we did, he figured since he was doing the machine work he would get the first one. He is running our shorty forend so he pushed his further down. We then decided to install on on mine slightly further up the barrel because I run a full length forend. Both guns cycle Winchester AA 1145 fps shells without issues.

As far as saiga's go it will be as simple as changing the drawing for barrel OD and running a new program, not easy for me but a 10 min job for my son.

As rlillyskygod mentioned above we will begin production next week on the MKA comps.