Icon Marketing Group 10rd Magazine

Hello,

I just got my MKA 1919 922r compliant so I opened up one of my IMG 10 rd mags to try out.  Unfortunately, the magazine does not stay in the mag well.  The mag catch doesn't catch the mag.  It looks like the top of the polymer portion of the magazine is hitting the bottom of the mag well. This prevents the mag catch from engaging.  Have you heard of this issue? Do you have any solutions?

Thanks,
Jay

My factory 10 rounders did the same thing.  Took a small file and slowly, carefully took a little material off the top edge of the catch opening until they would lock in every time.  These mags now work great.  Obviously you must remove the follower before filing.

MagMod1_zpsd9cf4c02.jpg

If you file the slot for the magazine catch, you're forcing the magazine to seat lower than designed in relation to the bolt and carrier. This can cause feeding issues as the bolt can now ride over a shell instead of stripping it out of the magazine. Some bolts will tolerate this error and your gun will function, but most will not. The proper fix for this is to remove material from the polymer overmold until you get a correct fit.

I wouldn't suggest using a file to remove material. Use a sharp object like a razor blade or knife point and scrape the top of the overmold. Remove a few thousandths at a time and check the magazine for proper fit until you get it right.

Edited by Anubis

I got an e-mail from Carolina Shooters Supply. They suggested removing some of the material from the mag ridge (polymer portion) just like Anubis.

Is this a prevalent issue that you guys have encountered before and fixed or is this kind of something you guys have thought through and concluded is the best fix.

I just want to make sure I'm doing the correct modification as these weren't cheap magazines and judging from the other work I've done to the 1919, it's going to be shitty to do. 

I failed to mention in my post above that I did a series of measurements to make sure I did not materially alter the top edge of the follower.  In fact by removing the material in the catch area, it brought the top edges of the follower sitting more in line with where my factory 5 rounders are.  Very little material had to be taken off of that edge to get a solid lock.  Very little.

I'm not disputing that the other method is probably a better thing to do for most, just offering what worked for me. 

Edited by yamadog35

The proper fix for this is to remove material from the polymer overmold until you get a correct fit.

Use a sharp object like a razor blade or knife point and scrape the top of the overmold. Remove a few thousandths at a time and check the magazine for proper fit until you get it right.

In post #4 of this thread, are you referring to the left side of the picture when you mention "the top of the overmold?"

Thanks.

I failed to mention in my post above that I did a series of measurements to make sure I did not materially alter the top edge of the follower.  In fact by removing the material in the catch area, it brought the top edges of the follower sitting more in line with where my factory 5 rounders are.  Very little material had to be taken off of that edge to get a solid lock.  Very little.

I'm not disputing that the other method is probably a better thing to do for most, just offering what worked for me. 

That's pretty consistant with our findings, if you compare the hole position of the 10's with the 5's, most of the 10's are lower. 

The last box we went through probably 90% wouldn't lock in, latest box has been better, we have started opening, checking and FIXING every mag we ship out. it's a P-I-A but that takes less time than explaining it to everybody who buys them.

Akdal is aware of theproblem and "supposed" to have it corrected, we are only getting mags ONE box at a time until we're SURE it's fixed, I'm NOT fixing another 2-300 magsbooo.gif  

Maybe should've just sent back every one that didn't work? ? ?

That's pretty consistant with our findings, if you compare the hole position of the 10's with the 5's, most of the 10's are lower. 

The last box we went through probably 90% wouldn't lock in, latest box has been better, we have started opening, checking and FIXING every mag we ship out. it's a P-I-A but that takes less time than explaining it to everybody who buys them.

Akdal is aware of theproblem and "supposed" to have it corrected, we are only getting mags ONE box at a time until we're SURE it's fixed, I'm NOT fixing another 2-300 magsbooo.gif

Maybe should've just sent back every one that didn't work? ? ?

Are you guys filing down the overmolding or filing the mag catch opening?

I actually received a response from IMG and they referred me to a video from Center Fire Systems as the fix to the issue.

It's a video of them filing the magazine catch. 

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whYWEn3xhHA

It seems like a much easier route than having to file/sand down the plastic overmolding and trying to level and smooth it all out.   

Will filing the mag catch that little really affect how low the mag sits enough to where the bolt won't be able to strip the next round?

Sorry for the extra questions and clarifications.  Like I said, I just want to get this done correctly.

Thanks,

Jay

I've not seen that video before(quality leaves some room for improvementbiggrin.png ) but yes, in a nutshell that's how it's done.

A couple thousands, lower will not cause problems in our experience. We have experimented with removing a SLIGHT amount from the bottom of the magwell (easier than removing the overmold on a bunch of mags). No problems doing that either.

If you have 5 rounder that locks in, measure the location of the square hole from the top of the mag

That should tell you what you need to know.

Did you make sure to compare to a factory mag? 2mm sounds like a lot of material to remove.

Correction, I removed approximately 1.25mm

I measured the top of the metal portion of the magazine to the top of the magazine catch opening:

Factory 5 round is  27.8mm

Modified 10 round is 27.4mm

Approximately .4mm difference. 

Does this sound ok? 

I already put some dummy rounds into a magazine and manually cycled the rounds.  Ended up cycling about 30 rounds with no issues.

Actually, two issues.  My bolt locked rearward with no magazine in the magwell.  I think it might have been getting stuck on the hammer.  Racked it a couple more times and it appears ok.  Any thoughts on this issue? 

The other is that the bolt wouldn't lock to the rear with the 10rd mags.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

Thanks for the advice, I filled a tiny amount off the catch holding, it locks in great now and I have had no issues with cycling.

Thanks again !!

Steve,

You have any measurements? 

Still waiting to modify my other two mags as I haven't been able to get to the range.

Jay

Hi, no I did not measure, just filled a tiny amount at a time until it locked in, it's still a very tight fit though, then test fired it, not one single issue. Not saying this is the right or wrong way, it just worked for me.