Muzzle device dilemma

I agree, but my build isn't so much for utility as it is a "fun gun" and a badass-looking Home Defense go to weapon that can still be taken to the range (quite a short range) for training.

The fact that it's a smoothbore allows me to be pretty diverse with it's use, so I can mall-ninja that fucker out and still get some practical use out of it should the need arise or if I damn well feel like it, lol.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your 'smith doesn't sound very confident in his ability to permanently attach things. I think he is trying to find a subtle way to tell you it is way over his head and he doesn't want to do it.

Here is what Gun Fun is referring to -- the OD threads were cut off this barrel.  The barrel was then internally threaded for chokes and a comp slips on the OD of the barrel.  If you have a short barr

if you perm a brake, I'd choose one that has a big enought ID to put in a choke and get the barrel threaded internally.

Posted Images

Oh boy... now the practicality issue has come up! :) May as well give the original topic the full on "hell with it" and just run at this point in a necropost.

Fitty did a lot of brake videos (in fact, all of his vids are worth watching... Fitty used to be on here a lot and was a cool guy).

I can't verify at the moment that this is the video I'm thinking of because the lady is watching TV (and I have no head phones), but in one of his tests he gets birdshot coming back at him off of the brake and I believe he actually DOES conclude that (searching my head) the Tromix monster brake is actually pretty effective.

I did buy a muzzle device for mine but it was just for the look and MAYBE (highly doubtful) to breach a lock some day... I also didn't weld it on so no big deal if its a functional problem in some situation. It was also dirt cheap... like $30-ish from CSS?

Fitty% Tactical did a review on the Bonesteel Firestorm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzI5RUgrDq0) and stated that they were getting hit with shrapnel from either the wad or something, but someone on this forum addressed that, stating the first batch was rushed and the problem has since been corrected.

Was that the one you're thinking of?

I only recently purchased mine after much comparing, thanks in no small part to Fitty's videos.

It was only a cursory search and little effort needed to refresh my memory.

My aim was to find one (within my means) that was not only pleasing to look at, but performed.

While I, like many others, have no true need for a device that assists door breaching, I'm sure you made the choice that was right for your needs.

The final selection was a close one, but I'm happy with the decision.  YMMV.

exactly...inconclusive. In some of the ammo types, the no-brake was superior to a brake...and the control wasn't even an effective control. A better control would be to hang a weight on the end of the bbl, identical to the weight of each brake. You're trying to find out if the brake is effective at reducing the vertical rise of the bbl....as opposed to trying to prove that hanging a weight on the end of the bbl will do the same. If a brake would make a significant difference, I'd cut my bbl down some and perma install one. I'd like proof before I make the effort though. Being as low pressure as they are, it seems like brakes would be less effective on shotties than other guns.

Edited by jekbrown
  • Like 1

That's a good idea, jekbrown.

Of course there were some inconsistancies with Fitty's reviews, but I think he did an extrodinary job considering he was winging it (no pun intended) as basically an amatuer for everyone's benefit.

Maybe someone will replicate his tests and include good suggestions like yours.

While I, like many others, have no true need for a device that assists door breaching, I'm sure you made the choice that was right for your needs.

I was just buying all of the rest of my parts from CSS and ran across it and couldn't resist so I added it to the order... It was "what's another $30 at this point?"... I literally have no "need" of the device. Just candy. :)

Hahaha!  I'm with ya on that one.

I've also heard that many of the door breachers are sharp!

Too sharp.

I know people think they're gonna stab the big, bad guy with that damn thing, but I can't help but think it'd be a pain in the ass nicking yourself on it or catching it in clothing and shit.

How is yours?

It's not too sharp at all. It wants to snag on the gun sock a little when I put it on for storage but that's about it. It's blued and the quality of the job isn't very high so I could pretty easily file off any rough nibs and not feel very bad about it.

You're also talking to the guy that started a thread about mounting a machete as a bayonet to my S12 just for fun... So... :) Ultimately, my s-12 is just a toy for me so I may as well have a fun time with it.

That's awesome.

Are you the one who wanted to cut the barrel down and re-add the length with a permanent bayonet?

I guess it's legal, but only technically.

Funny stuff.

No sir! Not me... My thought was to make a screw on lug. It would basically be a joke anyhow (wtf are you really going to do with a machete bayonet?) so who cares if its not the strongest thing in the world. If I cut down the barrel its going to be to SBS it. If we got SBS in IN tomorrow I'd have the stamp paperwork in the mail Saturday. Otherwise the barrel is staying at its shipped length on mine.