Question about estimates and build work?

Thanks GF. Good reference.

We also need to make and enforce a good statute against false/deceptive advertising.  I think that'd go a long way to help stop quite a number of problems in this country.  

We have one in Montana. It's called a good ass kicking. Rip off a person with a good name and expect your business to fail, rapidly. Do something stupid and get your ass kicked, do it again and end up in a lake.

Just the other day a young pup pulled a KA Bar on another young pup over a girl that was out of his league. The puppy who pulled the knife ended up with a broken eye socket and several bruised ribs. No cops were called. No charges pressed. There is now an understanding that if the dumb puppy pulls anything like that again, he will learn the three S rule.

Self regulating populations work in rural and sparsely populated areas. In the city, you really have to watch your ass. Everybody it out to sue and press charges. You simply can't get away with that shit in certain states. You will end up hurting and or dead. It all comes down to research. Buyer beware. 

Oral contract is still LAW, not statute in Montana. Trick is to have a credible witness during the agreement. Handshake still works and will hold you to the contract.

There are both federal laws against that and laws in most if not all states. google "unfair business practices" Also, "false or deceptive/misleading advertising" Montana is so Pro-consumer their courts have come up to some pretty screwey cases to find for the little guy no matter how wrong the little guy was. 

I personally think that we probably only need one more law: Anytime someone says "there ought to be a law that _X_." Anyone hearing that statement may look up and see if there is already a law to that effect. If there is such a law, they may tazer the first person.  (Edit- if the first person is in office or seeking office, the tazing is not optional.)

An oral contract is a contract everywhere, the question is whether the contract is void as a matter of law, or otherwise enforceable. Most states have some combination of UCC article 2 and common law to govern which must be in writing. Generic statements of law over the internet are a recipe for problems. If you have an deal that matters, why gamble? Spend < .5% of a major transaction's cost to have an attorney draw up a contract. At a minumum, look up the statutes for your state and read through guidelines for trade organizations in the feild. That should at least help to clue a person in as to when it is worth ponying up a few hundred for a solid contract.

Also statutes are law. So is common law, etc. The distinction made above was off.

Edited by GunFun

I love that folding stock! Those aren't cheap. At least $200, I think.

My exact thoughts too... If you didn't supply it to him, that could be some of the cost.

Anyhow, without seeing the gun in my hands, it looks good in the pics! :) I'm glad you've made your peace with it. You and I both have learned this lesson the hard way. From now on when going into stuff like this, I remember that I once had "chump" on my forehead and to not do it again.

Thanks GF. Good reference.

We also need to make and enforce a good statute against false/deceptive advertising.  I think that'd go a long way to help stop quite a number of problems in this country.  

We have one in Montana. It's called a good ass kicking. Rip off a person with a good name and expect your business to fail, rapidly. Do something stupid and get your ass kicked, do it again and end up in a lake.

Just the other day a young pup pulled a KA Bar on another young pup over a girl that was out of his league. The puppy who pulled the knife ended up with a broken eye socket and several bruised ribs. No cops were called. No charges pressed. There is now an understanding that if the dumb puppy pulls anything like that again, he will learn the three S rule.

Self regulating populations work in rural and sparsely populated areas. In the city, you really have to watch your ass. Everybody it out to sue and press charges. You simply can't get away with that shit in certain states. You will end up hurting and or dead. It all comes down to research. Buyer beware. 

Oral contract is still LAW, not statute in Montana. Trick is to have a credible witness during the agreement. Handshake still works and will hold you to the contract.

There are both federal laws against that and laws in most if not all states. google "unfair business practices" Also, "false or deceptive/misleading advertising" Montana is so Pro-consumer their courts have come up to some pretty screwey cases to find for the little guy no matter how wrong the little guy was. 

I personally think that we probably only need one more law: Anytime someone says "there ought to be a law that _X_." Anyone hearing that statement may look up and see if there is already a law to that effect. If there is such a law, they may tazer the first person.  (Edit- if the first person is in office or seeking office, the tazing is not optional.)

An oral contract is a contract everywhere, the question is whether the contract is void as a matter of law, or otherwise enforceable. Most states have some combination of UCC article 2 and common law to govern which must be in writing. Generic statements of law over the internet are a recipe for problems. If you have an deal that matters, why gamble? Spend < .5% of a major transaction's cost to have an attorney draw up a contract. At a minumum, look up the statutes for your state and read through guidelines for trade organizations in the feild. That should at least help to clue a person in as to when it is worth ponying up a few hundred for a solid contract.

Also statutes are law. So is common law, etc. The distinction made above was off.

Spoken like a true, third-party, debt collector. Statute is unenforceable unless a binding contract is established and the party if found subject to enforcement. A law is not necessarily a written or codified statute. English common law is in force upon the soil of Montana. It is the real law and no contract is needed to enforce it. Consent is established by many sneaky, tricky ways that most people who are incompetent are unaware of.

My friends have beat the IRS on willful failure to file. They never consented to their authority. Several of my friends have destroyed the careers of scum sucking lawyers, judges and politicians who neglected their oath. Good luck trying to contract with one of the good old boys from Montana.

You're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Take everything with a grain of salt and assume you know jack and shit about how the world works unless you have been there and done that.

Edited by Stryker0946

So I bought a rifle and come to find out due to inexperience it was poorly built.

So took it to a gunsmith to get it reriveted. Got quoted $200.00 to demill and rerivet OK.

A couple weeks go by and hasn't touched it. I come across a Nodak receiver and buy it. The gunsmith had mentioned that the receiver on said gun was a sub quality make. I call him to see if it was too late to bring him receiver,he says no haven't started yet. OK so I drop off receiver and nothing else talked about except how I came across nds receiver.

A couple weeks go by and I find a stock to replace damaged/ modified one. Drop off nothing said.

I get a call that my gun is done but here's my issue. I'm told that with the refinish that was approved when dropping off receiver that took est. to $400.00. He tells me that the charge from his work is now $750.00.

So am I being unreasonable that my estimate has almost doubled from original quote?

With two ftf chances to tell me hey this is going to cost this instead of what we talked about a couple months ago. Or even a phone call or email.

I'm pretty pissed! Haven't picked up yet as I'm still trying to calm down.

I think you forgot to tell us that it was a SBR.

Looks good. You probably got a square deal. Go shoot the shit out of it and find out!