Russian side folder on fixed stock Vepr12

It's an extremely laborious process. There are a few smiths who will do it, but most of the big names refuse because of the amount of labor involved - they would have to charge an outrageous sum for the job.

It's an extremely laborious process. There are a few smiths who will do it, but most of the big names refuse because of the amount of labor involved - they would have to charge an outrageous sum for the job.

There is a post somewhere kind of recently where Leland said he wouldn't even do it, and he is all about installing AK100 series sidefolders.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info guys. I just decided to get one of the classicarms vepr folders and sold off my fixed stock. I am kinda regretting selling the fixed stock since I saw the pics of one with a magpul UBR on it.

I also picked up a Saiga 12K from legion so I got my 100series folder shotgun jones taken care of. I have been planning to do a review on the 12k because there just wasn't much info out there before I got mine and there is a couple of things I would have liked to have known before purchase. Alex was great to deal with.

I am interested to know what additonal modifications are required over the standard Saiga side folder install that make it such a "laborious process"? To my knowledge the Vepr 12 reciever is slightly thicker, but I think the overall width of the reciever is the same. This would make the inner width of reciever slightly more narrow. One could mill a little material of the side folding trunnion and it should fit in the Vepr reciever just like the Saiga. Unless I am missing something this would be the only additional step as long as the factory trunnion rivet pattern is the same. Someone please enlighten me! I think a Russian side folder on a Vepr 12 would be KING!

Edited by lsxevo

I sold the fixed stock, thinking that a 100 series was an impossibility. I picked up a folder from classic and also got a 12k from Legion so I would have a 100 series shotgun in the collection.

I have been intending to do a write up on the 12k because there is not much information about them out there other than the website and one review.

I started one but its way on the back burner.

For me, I'm going to remove the front trunnion to machine the underside. That moves the latch up the receiver more and makes room for the spring latch assembly. Otherwise you'd need to make a highly modified latch.