You guys have any ideas on how to loosen up the safety catch on a AK? I have one that is smooth as butter, easy to move and no loud click when you move it. Then again, I have another one that is hard to manipulate, makes a click you can hear a block away, and is otherwise generally obnoxious to use. 

How can I smooth it out a bit?

IIRC the "click" is a function of the safety lever being under tension against the outside of the rcvr and falling into the detent of the same.

Now I would be very hesitant to alter the tension but Im sure softening the click is doable. Understand as Im sure you do unless it locks securely in position there could be problems.

You guys have any ideas on how to loosen up the safety catch on a AK? I have one that is smooth as butter, easy to move and no loud click when you move it. Then again, I have another one that is hard to manipulate, makes a click you can hear a block away, and is otherwise generally obnoxious to use. 

Bend it outward...

Bend it outward...

That was my first thought also but I would go another route as I like having that very positive feel when it locks down. If I want it quiet I do it gently. what.gif

May be as simple as slightly deepening the "hole" in the rcvr so its not bottoming out metal to metal.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I bent one out a bit on the S12, it solved it except for when it snaps back into place along the dust cover it's nice and quiet. I wish I could eliminate that noise too.

This one is on my 74, and it's my top AK, so I want to be kinda careful with it...maybe file down the nub a bit that clicks into the detent marking?