Computer GURU's... Which Video card under $100???

Ok, guys...  some of you have GOT to be computer gurus...

I need a video card for my Emachines computer. Its got the PCIE slot, just need a basic DECENT video card, not planning to do serious gaming, just need more boost when I want it... maybe play some scorched earth 3d... lol

so I am thinking one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360819213173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291042275970?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTS-450-01G-P3-1450-TR-1-GB-GDDR5-SDRAM-PCI-Express-x16-/251406898633?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a8904d5c9

All about the same price...

What say you??? Other options???

Other things to consider???

Thanks.

I always use GeForce graphics cards. I used a GeForce GTX 650 on a build for a friend not too long ago. I think it was 120, but it was an excellent graphics card. I think newegg.com has a rebate offer going on now for one. I use a gtx 760 but I gave about 230 for it I think. I'd definitely take a look at the 650.

ten fucking minutes and none of you fuckers have read or replied YET?!??! WTF?!?!!? lets get here, people!!!! READ THIS!! I GOTTA KNOW, NOW!!! lol

Ok, maybe not NOW... but SOON.... LOL!!!  :up:

:smoke:

Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to calm down! Lol

Amazon's better to deal with. Newegg gave me a ration of shit when I tried to return something. (bought the wrong one by mistake) I had to throw a fit to get them to return it, then they stuck me with store credit instead of cash. 

Amazon's better to deal with. Newegg gave me a ration of shit when I tried to return something. (bought the wrong one by mistake) I had to throw a fit to get them to return it, then they stuck me with store credit instead of cash.

Good to know. I've not had to deal with their CS. I have been using Best Buy a lot lately for electronics and computers.

I always use GeForce graphics cards. I used a GeForce GTX 650 on a build for a friend not too long ago. I think it was 120, but it was an excellent graphics card. I think newegg.com has a rebate offer going on now for one. I use a gtx 760 but I gave about 230 for it I think. I'd definitely take a look at the 650.

ten fucking minutes and none of you fuckers have read or replied YET?!??! WTF?!?!!? lets get here, people!!!! READ THIS!! I GOTTA KNOW, NOW!!! lol

Ok, maybe not NOW... but SOON.... LOL!!!  032.gif

000.gif

Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to calm down! Lol

ROFL!!!

nope!!!! LOL!

If you have any more info on the host computer it would be great, off the top of my head I would say a GTX460 would be a great powerful card within that range. Should probably know your CPU frequency and core count (like a i5 quad core 2.8ghz for example) and what type of PCI lane it is (4x 8x 16x, 1.0 2.0 3.0) 'cause a slow CPU or PCI bus could bottleneck your performance.

ETA: BE AWARE THAT MOST MODERN GPU'S REQUIRE A POWER SUPPLY THAT CAN SUPPORT THEM WITH A 6 OR 8 PIN MALE PIGTAIL AND A SINGLE RAIL OF 40-50AMPS!!! PROPRIETARY POWER SUPPLIES RARELY CUT IT!!!

Edited by Conscript

its a shitty ASUS Emachines ET1352G-03w unit with 4 gigs ram, and an AMD Athlon II X2 260 dual core 1.8 Ghz processor

The whole unit was FREE though... I just had to reinstall windows as it had a BAD issue when I got the system

:up:

:smoke:

for 12 bucks I can buy a 500W power supply... LOL

The evga nvidia card will do just fine with what you are wanting to do. I wouldnt go with the radeon or amd. They are known to be unstable and problematic. Im sure you will hear some one come back about how awesome they are but from experience over the reals NVIDIA is more stable and has far less issues.

I wouldnt buy it off ebay though. Id go with Newegg or Amazon.   Ive used newegg for years and have an account with them. Ive never had an issue at all.

eh i just saw some of the other suggestions. For the price a few of the other Nvidia cards might be just as good of a buy.

Any card in the 400-500 series will run average games. If you want to do hard core gaming you need to step up to the 560+ for a minimal probably.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 2

Ok not sure what types of games you want to play but that CPU is definitely a limiting factor. You can pretty much choose whatever video card you want being that the motherboard can handle PCI x16 2.0 provided you have a power supply with enough juice and the proper connectors. Just don't expect to play any modern games (2004+) at even medium quality regardless of how much money you throw at the graphics card because the CPU is very very outdated.

Think of it like putting a $3000 nightforce scope on a mosin with no visible lands/grooves anymore and using rusty 54R from the 30's.

Also, open the side of the case and take a measurement from the back side of the front cage (that houses the DVD/harddrives/etc) to the back of the case where the card's connectors will come out, make sure you get one that fits the length/height of the card. Proprietary machines are kinda packed in there, so don't buy unless you're sure it will fit.

I just built this one for my mom, and it runs everything I can throw at it. ~$400

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ejuP

For the price, that is a great setup.

Yeah, the processor is as fast as my i7, and with NO video card, it still gets a WEI of 5.6, with video being the limiting factor. 

WEI:

CPU: 7.5

HDD: 7.5

MEM: 5.9

2D:5.6

3D: 6.4

I just built this one for my mom, and it runs everything I can throw at it. ~$400

Yeah, the processor is as fast as my i7, and with NO video card, it still gets a WEI of 5.6, with video being the limiting factor. 

WEI:

Holy crap that is good. Lol I got carried away on mine and spent about 1800 lol

WEI:

Holy crap that is good. Lol I got carried away on mine and spent about 1800 lol

Throw a decent video card in it, and faster RAM and it'll do sevens all around.

I dont know about this machine now that im thinking about it. I would seriously consider if its worth throwing much money at. Im not sure that processor in it has the power to do much.  I would also consider how old the machine is too.

I concur 100%

Pretty much brand new. They still sell them... for about 380 bucks!!  I got this machine for FREE, brand new condition... so all I am investing is less than a hundred for a better video card.

Here are the requirements for Scorched Earth:

Minimum System Requirements:*
  • 500 MHz Processor
  • 128 Mb RAM (256 MB for Win XP)
  • 200 Mb Hard Disk space (including probable virtual memory usage)
  • 3D Accelerated Graphics Card

Multiplayer:

• Dial-Up Modem (for online multiplayer)
  • Network Adapter (for LAN multiplayer)

*=Minimum system requirements are provided with the "Fastest Options" setting enabled.

Recommended System Requirements:
  • 1.5 GHz Processor
  • 512 Mb RAM
  • 300 Mb Hard Disk space (including probable virtual memory usage)
  • Non-integrated 128MB 3D Accelerated Graphics Card with GL shader support

Bf 4 requirements lol

Battlefield 4 system requirements

The minimum PC system requirements for Battlefield 4 are expected to be:

Dual core CPU (Intel Core i5 or AMD “Bulldozer”).

At least 4 GB main system memory

Graphics card with at least 512 MB of VRAM and support for DirectX 10

30+ GB of harddrive space

Windows Vista

Recommended system requirements

The recommended PC system requirements for optimal visual quality and frame rates:

Quad core CPU (Intel Core i5 or i7) at 3 Ghz

4 GB memory (8 GB for 64-bit operating systems)

A modern DX11 graphics card with 2+ GB of video memory, GeForce 600 series or Radeon 7000 series

Windows 7 64-bit operating system (Windows 8 is supported as well)

30+ GB of free harddrive space

THe amusing thing is.... I went back to my 10 yr old HOME BUILD computer. Win2000, Athlon 2700 processor. Nvidia Riva TNT card. and just used THAT. WAY better than the newer Emachines I got for nothing... :up:

ROFL!!! I built it GOOOD when I built it!!! LOL

I have an old AMD dual core pc too (fx-60 2.8 gig, 4 gigs RAM, etc.). I put an Nvidia 210 GPU in it and run Linux Mint o.s. Linux can run great on a toaster! Doesn't need a lot of resources. For gaming you can use Steam for Linux and Desura. That CPU runs so hot, I rigged up a fish tank pump in a pickle jar with a little radiator to keep it cool! (I have a real gaming pc too, but I love my old Frankenstein!

post-19191-0-45249100-1387852755_thumb.jpg

Talk about frankenmachine...  The fan on the RIVA card was SO LOUD... bad bearing and such... I found a couple old CPU fans outside in the garage on the workbench under piles of stuff... been there for years.. took them apart ( off the heat sinks), rewired to test, found one that works, and remounted one fan to the other heatsink, with a connector from the board heatsink, so that I can connect this big blocky SQUARE heatsink where a neat, trim little round heatsink used to sit.... its ugly... but it WORKS and its QUIET!  ( or at least a LOT QUIETER than it was!!! )

I have a GTX 460 and it kicks ass if you have a good CPU and ram.

I was shocked to see it selling for under $100 now.

I've had it for 3 years and just recently felt the the need to overclock it (20% beyond factory) through software.

The days of having to build franken-machines is fading away. I don't miss the noisy fans at all.

The system I run now is so quiet. If I can hear the fans I know they need to be cleaned. The box sits about 12" away from my right ear.

The video card fans are set to auto and never go above 40% when it's overclocked.

My specs...

Intel I5 quadcore 3450 Processor

8 GB DDR3 1600

GTX 460 Video card 700+ MB ram

The only two games I really play that push it's specs are Arma3 and Cliffs of Dover and I still get 40-50 FPS on both at medium settings.

I find myself building a new computer about every 4-5 years at an average of $500-600 in parts. I'm a bargain shopper so I look for value and performance.

A solid-state drive is my next investment. That clicking hard-drive is the loudest part of my computer now.

I've built every desktop computer that I've owned since 96.

My first one (store-bought in 1995) had a CPU rated at 33 mega-hertz had a 328 MB harddrive! :) Anyone else remember the "Turbo" Button? Who didn't use it?

Edited by Sim_Player