Some of the Dewalt tool sets Lowes had recently are made in USA of imported parts.

I currently have the large green set of Ryobi 18 volt tools from 07' the batteries still work.. I killed the reciprocating saw, but I did use the crap out of it.. The circular saw is a little more gutless then some of the newer 20 volts, but coming from the 14 volt it should be an upgrade.

If your using it for work I'd suggest going to a tool store.. I've used toolfetch tools and they had been ok..

I happened to be in Home Depot today and took a close look at their cordless tools all lined up next to each other and it's pretty obvious that all the top brands are using pretty much the same manufacturing processes and most likely critical parts from the same suppliers. I'm not sure where you can even find significant differences other than color or style or ergonomics. It's all about "branding" or "image". I think you're better off looking for the one that has the features you like rather than a name.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 1

Many of the big box store tools are made in the same factory under licence. They actually have a different model number many times.

One main annoyance over the years with Dewalt is their batteries.. I had two 14 volt tool sets on the same truck that had incompatible batteries. Ryobi has been running the 18 volt plus one style for many years, which is why I bother to use them... I will say the quality of the tools is questionable from time to time. 

Regarding 20v batteries...from what I have been reading, they are actually 18v nominal yield. Marketing. I've been shopping for cordless impact drivers for work and that's what all the reviews have been saying about them. We turn nuts and bolts a lot and they really save the muscles for a long career. Its no wonder old Linemen are cranky, crotchety assholes, you should see the way they had to make a living!!

Btw, hard to beat the Ridgid brand with home depot backing the batteries and tools (pretty much no questions asked) as well as the stores sometimes accepting 20% off harbor freight coupons. Just saying.

Also pay attention the the mah rating on the batteries, the bigger the number (3.0/4.0), the longer the run time and more expensive. And I've also gathered that the brushless motors are not as serviceable, if at all, as those with replaceable brushes. However brushless will run longer on a charge. 

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2

I can't stay enough good things about the milwaukee 12v hammer drill and impact driver set. I framed an entire deck and finished my basement with it. Always had enough horsepower and just cycled the batteries through the charger. Never ran out of juice. my whole family uses them now . Its amazing how powerful they are and they weigh nothing. Compact to get in very tight places. The 18v are too big and clunky. I never touch my 18v anymore

• Like 1

@Juggernaut -

something else I forgot to mention, as far as batteries goes, is you kill them by overheating them. Like if you are going to run 3" screws into the deck, for instance, you use the slower setting, on a screwgun. you can kill cordless tool batteries by heating them up repeatedly and swapping them out on a charger.

you said something about non-professional grade, like the 28 volt stuff. those you can use on a job site (instead of light jobs) constantly all day without a recharge. you pay out the ass for those, though. But you can literally demo all day with one, or build/cut/whatever you will.

for the uses you are talking, that ryobi tool set should last you well enough if you dont abuse it, or cook cycle the batteries....I would use a corded drill to set tapcons with, or drill through thick steel, or the like, and dont overheat the batteries.

this exact tool make and model is known for exactly what dustin is saying in the tradesmen fields. you can wear it on your tool belt comfortably, too  ----

I can't stay enough good things about the milwaukee 12v hammer drill and impact driver set. I framed an entire deck and finished my basement with it. Always had enough horsepower and just cycled the batteries through the charger. Never ran out of juice. my whole family uses them now . Its amazing how powerful they are and they weigh nothing. Compact to get in very tight places. The 18v are too big and clunky. I never touch my 18v anymore

Edited by Ben Vampatella
  • Like 2