Heat Shield Inside Wood Handguard

...I put a heat shield in a Polish laminate wood lower handguard last night...

I took a heat shield out of a Russian polymer lower handguard and all I had to do to get it to fit into the wood handguard was cut off about 1/8" off of the top of each side of the heat shield with a dremel. I wish I would have thought to take a "before" picture but I just did it on a whim and didn't bring the camera down with me. Hopefully that explanation makes some sense.

This did two things, one, it got rid of the rails that fit into the grooves of the polymer handguard and two, it made it so that the top of the heat shield sits just below the vent cuts in the lower handguard. Those rails that stick out to either side of the heat shield was what was keeping it from sitting into the wood handguard comfortably.

The inside of the wood handguard is tighter than the Russian polymer, so the heat shield is constantly putting tension on the wood and springing outward, giving some space between it and the barrel, as you can see in the second picture below. The paper you see in the second picture is thicker than your typical 8.5x11" sheet of paper but a hair thinner than a business card.

Can you all give me some thoughts on this? Was it a waste of time? Good idea? Bad idea?

...think this will help reduce heat, redirect it or increase it? I just did it last night so I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it with it in there and see if I can notice a difference, positive or negative, on heat or accuracy. I really like the look of wood, and how much more solid it feels, but polymer + heat shield is supposed to be better for reducing heat... and I'm sure the Russians made the switch from wood to polymer for a reason. If heat rises, and there is still space between the handguard, heat shield and barrel, it seems like the heat shield should redirect heat upward and out of the vents, reducing felt heat to the hand through the handguard?

HeatShield1_zpsb523bd1f.jpg

HeatShield2_zps39707555.jpg

Edited by ouroboros
  • 3 weeks later...

hate to be the guy to say that it was probably a waste of time, but if you like your mod, then that's all that matters. I can't say that I've ever had a wood handguard get hot enough to hold, or even to burn/singe the wood.

I have an update on this. I posted this thread on the AK Files too and here's a copy of what I wrote afterward in that thread...

----

Just an FYI to those who did read and/or respond to this thread...

I have since taken the heat shield out of the wooden lower handguard.

It was, as they say nowadays, an epic fail.

I took my rifle to the range with said heat shield installed and the lower handguard was smoking and starting to smell like burning finish/oil/wood/etc after only 50-60 rds...!

That wasn't mag-dumping either.

Needless to say, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread and as I suspected could be one of a few possible outcomes myself, the stainless steel heat shield inside of a Polish laminate handguard is more of a heat enhancer... and it seems to be because it does not allow enough air flow between the already restricted space between the barrel and wooden handguard for the heat to disperse up and out of the vent cuts.

All of that being said, it DID seem to transfer heat AWAY from the hands... the only problem was that it transferred said heat INTO the sides of the handguard or something because it was definitely smoking and smelling like something was burning far too early than it should.

Moral of the story for me:

1 - the Saiga OEM polymer handguard gets hot.

2 - Russian AK-style upper/lower polymer handguards w/ SS heat shield are good at heat dissipation but don't look as cool as wood.

3 - wooden handguard w/o heat shields are perfectly fine as they come without heat shields (maybe all of those militaries issuing wood on their AK's were on to something, right? Go figure!)

4 - I will not be adding any more heat shields to wooden handguards. I am not as smart as military weapons developers but I do feel like I know a little bit more about this stuff now for trying and have successfully added a little more info for myself when it comes to the wood vs. polymer thing.

Edited by ouroboros
  • Like 1

hate to be the guy to say that it was probably a waste of time, but if you like your mod, then that's all that matters. I can't say that I've ever had a wood handguard get hot enough to hold, or even to burn/singe the wood.

Yeah, but I guess if it makes him feel better, than so be it. Ive had my HG smoking but still able to touch with no issues. I think it was a fix to a problem that didnt exist. But it still wont hurt anything.

It wasnt a bad try at all.

Ive done similar with a couple of tapco fronts years back, worked well but there is no heat trap as the heat just rises unobstructed by a gas tube cover.

Also used a material designed as heat insulation, that thin crap with one metallic side the other is insulated. 

• 2 weeks later...

It takes some serious shooting for the wood to get too hot to handle. I'm talking mag after mag of bumpfire. You've gotta remember - these weapons were designed for fully automatic fire..

Yes...

But not SUSTAINED automatic fire...