I am going about making both an AK-101, and an AK-102.

Saiga doesn't make a real Russian receiver for me in 5.45x39......

So who has the best 5.45 receiver?

It is expensive to make these AK-100 Century Series Clones.......both my AK-103/104 are putting me over 1,000.00 each with mags, and toys. Just rifles.

It isn't legal to turn your .223 saiga into 5.45, as the ballistics wouldn't match up during testing in the event of a crime with weapon.

So who is sporting the "best" quality receiver for the 5.45x39?

Do I dare butcher a used VEPR? I'm not sure I could bring myself to that..............

Any ideas?

Thanks Everyone.

It isn't legal to turn your .223 saiga into 5.45, as the ballistics wouldn't match up during testing in the event of a crime with weapon.

I must be missing something, cause didnt one of the regulars here just REBARREL one of his saiga receivers?!?!? wouldnt that be the same in this case, Dodge?!?!

I mean as long as the serial on the receiver is there... you can pretty much do what ya want with it, short of NFA weapons.

I would ask TONY on this one, but I cant imagine why you couldnt build a 5.45 out of a Saiga receiver.

:smoke:

since when has rebarrling receivers for different calibers been illegal, there is no national data base of guns with matching ballistics. If so then big brother is getting more and more intursive. Anyway it dont take much to change the markings on a bullet from a barrel, and if thats the object just wonder how they trace shotguns?

Does anyone know what the best 5.45 aK74 style receiver is. Saiga doesn't make a rfile in 5.45x39.

Looking to do an AKS-74M/AK-105.

Any brand Receiver that comes to mind?

Thanks.

How about Arsenal/Global Trades or Ohio Ordnance Works? I think both make that cal in 1.6mm thickness.

http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/parts/akm/akm.htm

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop/item...mid=FIOHAK74REC

Thanks. I'll check those websites.

Shouldn't be too hard. 5.45 are everywhere now....just not so much the ammo....LOL

Dodge,

How about a SAR-2 (5.45). They were around $300 a couple of years ago and you could rebuild it as you see necessary. Any rifle can be rechambered or re-barreled to a different caliber leagally. I have a Remington 600 rebarreled from .222 to .350 Rem Mag. by a local gunsmith.

RonSwin

Yep.

K-VAR Kits.

I previously splurged on 3 kits from K-VAR when I was in VA at FT.LEE for school(ARMY). I had no internet to chill on-line. So I bought toys out of Shotgun News.

They were selling AK-102(5.56x45), AK-104(7.62x39), AK-105(5.45x39) Kits for $229.00, $229.00, and $209.00 respectively.

I decided that day I would be a complete retard and spend too much money on owning every Century Series AK-100 rifle.

I'm good for 7.62x39 Rifles...AK-103/AK-104.

Now onto 5.56, and 5.45.

Using Bulgy barrel kits. Russian furniture/stocks, and mags. US internals.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Saiga in 5,45X39. Troy Sellars did the conversion for me. The rifle looks great (no pictures right now though) It still needs a little work. It was built before the AWB lifted so the bayonet lugs need fixed and a few holes on the bottom of the receiver weren't welded up. The rifle uses Tapco parts and was made from a regular Saiga, a Bulgarian kit and K-VAR parts.

S Won

Nope. steve467 wanted to do the same......

I don't know anyone who has done it.

Using my name in vain!! I never said you couldn't use a 5.56mm Saiga receiver for a 5.45mm barrel, who sold you that crack? :0

Actually since the last time we talked I picked up a second AK-105 kit (a bulgy demil that I can actually build myself). The demil I will build using an SLR-105 donor, and the new front-end I intend to build up as a Russian AK-105 using a PAR-3 donor receiver. I decided there's no sense in going "all-Russian" with a Saiga receiver since the lack of dimples/axis stamps defeats the purpose of spending big bucks on real russian furniture and 500m sight etc. The only cosmetic downside is no "3rd rivet" on the PAR trunnion for the bolt stop.

Gimme a call Dodge, you need to shoot my converted Saiga 410.

Steve

Nope. steve467 wanted to do the same......

I don't know anyone who has done it.

Using my name in vain!! I never said you couldn't use a 5.56mm Saiga receiver for a 5.45mm barrel, who sold you that crack? :0

Actually since the last time we talked I picked up a second AK-105 kit (a bulgy demil that I can actually build myself). The demil I will build using an SLR-105 donor, and the new front-end I intend to build up as a Russian AK-105 using a PAR-3 donor receiver. I decided there's no sense in going "all-Russian" with a Saiga receiver since the lack of dimples/axis stamps defeats the purpose of spending big bucks on real russian furniture and 500m sight etc. The only cosmetic downside is no "3rd rivet" on the PAR trunnion for the bolt stop.

Gimme a call Dodge, you need to shoot my converted Saiga 410.

Steve

Not sure I ever in the above post stated that you said you couldn't use a Saiga. What I did state was that You, and I were interested in owning an AK-105, and that we both were wondering if you could use a Saiga .223.

If I didn't hear you say that. Then I must have imagined standing next to you at the rifle range on base when you said it, Sir.

This isn't the only thread covering this AK-105 saiga .223 conversion. I went over this on ARFCOM and here earlier in a thread.

I was responding to this:

INDY ARMS~I must be missing something, cause didnt one of the regulars here just REBARREL one of his saiga receivers?!?!? wouldnt that be the same in this case, Dodge?!?!

I thought he was referring to you. As you are the only person that I saw posting about it.

As far as hearing that you can't have a receiver that states .223, and shooting 5.45???

I asked a trusted member here who I guess I assumed knew what the heck they were talking about. Even showed me some BATFE link to the very problem...

Hope he doesn't get pissed if he is wrong and spew all over this tread ....lol

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor

My mistake, I must have misunderstood you. I certainly did say that I was planning on using a .223 Saiga receiver for my 105 kit, but I have since reconsidered due to the magwell/dimples issue. I thought you were saying I said no 5.56 to 5.45 conversion. I'm certain there is no law restricting that. I know you went back to specify "having a receiver that states .223, and shooting 5.45", but that is an easy fix for someone building an AK-105 from a kit.

At any rate I will be shamelessly building my demil 105 kit on a PAR-3 receiver in the near future. Are you planning on building yours yourself or having someone else build them?