New to forum ...with a Dragunov Saiga 12

DragunovSaiga12_zpsef57f027.jpg

Hello Folks , New to the forum but a long time user for good information .This is my new Saiga 12 Dragunov shotgun.I have put on a multi position gas plug .I have also added a Russian Dragunov illuminated reticle scope.I bought the Saiga to use strictly as a slug gun for hunting and Bear protection here in Montana. I have only done some limited testing with Wolf slugs at 50 yards and average 2-3" groups .Snow and sub zero cold here has limited further tests.My question is to forum members ,which is the most accurate slug made for this gun .Members knowledge could save me a lot of work and money .Thanks for a great forum. The gun works flawlessly as does the scope

• Like 4

Nice to see you on the forum Nordlander!

Unless you are hand loading, and developing an accurate load, there is no "best" brand of slug for all guns. You can take two off of the assembly line - one right after the other - and one will shoot better with "brand X" while the other will like "brand Y" a little more, and give you a tighter group. My suggestion would be to round up all of the brands that are readily available in your area, and see which one groups best. Don't worry about where the point of impact is - just find the best grouping brand - then zero it in once you have found what your gun likes.

I used a S12 for a few years to hunt deer with, but for the last couple of years have used a VEPR 12. As you can see below...both work GREAT!!! 

threebucksands12.jpg

wmyn.jpg

Edit - I use Winchester 2 3/4" rifled slugs - they are inexpensive, and seem to give me the best groups out of both of these guns...

Edited by 7.62m43
  • Like 2

I have heard of people getting great accuracy out of their S12s. If you are going to use sabot slugs, they sell rifled chokes. Otherwise, dont use the rifled choke with rifled slugs. I believe some guy said he was hitting 100 yards with his rear sight leaf set on 300m. Nice S12 by the way. 

Breneke is a good starting point for your purpose. They have a lot of products worth comparing

You might want to check out these too: http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/1276-cal.html

Don't waste money on sabot slugs without a rifled choke.

Also -- Subscribe to this guy:

This is why the winchester and Remmington slugs are a good choice for deer and a poor choice for bear and hogs.

There is also a slug specific forum out there.

A couple of the dixie products might be worth a look.

Or you can make your own, which is my preferred method.

Edited by GunFun

Does anyone have a link to any shooting tests at 100 . This is the max range I will be using the weapon . I have ordered some Brennekke slugs and I believe I have some Winchesters . With a slug gun a Bear is pretty easy to kill what I am looking for is accuracy which is so important for shot placement

I am not sure anyone has ever published an extensive comparison of different brands of slugs. I would like to see it if there is one out there! Most manufacturers publish data and ballistic charts for their products, but it would be nice to see them compiled side by side.

Nice to see you on the forum Nordlander!

Unless you are hand loading, and developing an accurate load, there is no "best" brand of slug for all guns. You can take two off of the assembly line - one right after the other - and one will shoot better with "brand X" while the other will like "brand Y" a little more, and give you a tighter group. My suggestion would be to round up all of the brands that are readily available in your area, and see which one groups best. Don't worry about where the point of impact is - just find the best grouping brand - then zero it in once you have found what your gun likes.

I used a S12 for a few years to hunt deer with, but for the last couple of years have used a VEPR 12. As you can see below...both work GREAT!!! 

threebucksands12.jpg

wmyn.jpg

Edit - I use Winchester 2 3/4" rifled slugs - they are inexpensive, and seem to give me the best groups out of both of these guns...

you shot the one on the left in the face ????   haha.gif

i love that picture... the only way it could be better is if were ME.....

that's great man...super_man.gif

i love that picture... the only way it could be better is if were ME.....

that's great man...super_man.gif

He was running fast, and I led him too much...   

I thought you would say " he was laughing at me, so I wiped the smile off his face"amazing.gif

great picture and awesome deer.  congrats

Edited by read_the_wall

Nice. I think that's the first Dragunov S12 I've seen. I like that look alot.

I've been using the Winchester rifled slugs in mine. Sighted in so far to 25yrds(should be on at 100yrds according to the charts +/-) but I'm hunting deer and hopefully spring turkey soon as well as compete in a not so local scenario 3gun competition. So not a dedicated gun.

post-15573-0-52484900-1392613474_thumb.jpg