I just got back from a city park that has an awesome playground. My son is only one so I watch him like a hawk and let my four year old daughter run around within eye sight.

She found a nice 3 year old boy to play with and they were running, laughing and hoding hands. It was a great time for them.

Then, when the mother finally got off her G-d damn cell phone, she came over to the kids and told them not to touch or hold hands. I interjected and told her to lecture to her own kids and if that was her policy that she should go to a private park with no kids around.

Just when I thought it was super strange, my son was walking next to a tree with me and a little one year old, parents said 18 months, walked up to my son and wanted to touch his golden blonde hair. The mom said, "no touching!"

There are a lot of Canadians around here. Is this some sort of stupid ass hippie Canadian thing?

I think it's normal and important for kids to hold hands, hug and socialize with other kids at the park.

Maybe I'm not understanding things right. What the fuck is wrong with kids being kids?

Any of you ever experience this? WTF, over......

p.s. I'm 463 months old. :)

The 'no touching' thing is fuckin weird and sounds like a phobia of the parent.  It could be about germs or getting hurt, but if its about social correctness then shes a real messed up bird (and probably a big disappointment in the sack)    I dont give a crap if my kid wrestles with other kids, as long as they arent going to hurt each other and both are having fun.

I take my 5yr old girl to the park and am constantly disappointed by the attitudes of other little kids.  My daughter is outgoing and willing to play with any other kid she sees.  More often than not the other little brats either ignore her or 'turn their nose up' at her.  I dont get this.  When I was a kid everyone played with everyone else and only the kids that looked and smelled like pigpens were ostracized. .  

My little girl is as normal as could be.  We dress her decently, she is fun, pretty and full of energy.  Ill never understand why she has trouble finding kids to play with her.  When she does find one to run around with, they are typically younger and by themseives.  The kids who are with other kids act all 'cliquey' and too good to play with her.  Its really odd.

• Like 1

To quote the great George Carlin, "Kids need a helmet just to masturbate now!". My daughter could rough house with the best of the boys in her weight class (and higher sometimes). You can only be a kid once, let them get dirty and play.

• Like 1

I think it is about germs, however if you are never are exposed to germs, well just ask the Incas and what the Spanish did.

You are doing a good job Stryker, O, and I am 664 months old, ya young whipper snapper.

• Like 1

Parents today are freaking crazy, you should hear the stories my wife has to tell as a preschool teacher.

Parents are just incredibly overprotective now, and there is a lot of "no touching" being taught to kids as well. Touching is just so bad, it leads to everything terrible, didn't you know? It's a miracle past generations even survived.

She had a parent come in the other day and practically dump their child there. The girl was FOB from Cambodia and didn't speak a word of English, and her mom only stopped long enough to sign a temporary registration sheet.

• Like 1

I have a rough daughter and a gentle son. I do tell my daughter '' gentle " when going to touch another kid because she doesn't see a difference in a 4 year or 4 month old. but she always goes to touch their face. my son is always ( so far ) appropriate with his playing with other kids to the level of their age.

• Like 1

I think it's funny when I see dumb asses using antibacterial wipes on carts at the store.  Fucking germaphobe's are nuts.  I'm really good about washing my hands at all the normal times.  I'll be damned if I'm gonna live in fear of someone who doesn't.  

How on earth did I live this long without a baby ass wipe dispenser next the the carts at the grocery store?amazing.gif

• Like 1

The funny part about germs is that there are several million of them inside you, actually keeping you alive

Way, way more than that. Human cells are way, way bigger than most bacterial cells - your human cells are actually outnumbered about 10-1 by bacteria.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-humans-carry-more-bacterial-cells-than-human-ones/

• Like 1

The 'no touching' thing is fuckin weird and sounds like a phobia of the parent.  It could be about germs or getting hurt, but if its about social correctness then shes a real messed up bird (and probably a big disappointment in the sack)    I dont give a crap if my kid wrestles with other kids, as long as they arent going to hurt each other and both are having fun.

I take my 5yr old girl to the park and am constantly disappointed by the attitudes of other little kids.  My daughter is outgoing and willing to play with any other kid she sees.  More often than not the other little brats either ignore her or 'turn their nose up' at her.  I dont get this.  When I was a kid everyone played with everyone else and only the kids that looked and smelled like pigpens were ostracized. .  

My little girl is as normal as could be.  We dress her decently, she is fun, pretty and full of energy.  Ill never understand why she has trouble finding kids to play with her.  When she does find one to run around with, they are typically younger and by themseives.  The kids who are with other kids act all 'cliquey' and too good to play with her.  Its really odd.

That is strange. Too bad our kids couldn't hang out. Hard to find good people. It seems that society has taken a shit inside city limits.

I think it is about germs, however if you are never are exposed to germs, well just ask the Incas and what the Spanish did.

You are doing a good job Stryker, O, and I am 664 months old, ya young whipper snapper.

If it is, the crazy mothers should find a bubble to put their kids in. All the surfaces in that kids park and the wood chips are full of every kind of germ you can think of. I was reading about this online and it may have to do with the canadians. They started a no touch rule on the playground to keep lazy, lazy. Kids were getting hurt with too many kids and too little supervision. So, they sent out letters to tell the parents no more touching at recess.

The germ thing would just be crazy. My kids are exposed to everything and injected with nothing. We will be the first to visit if your kid gets chicken pox. This germ free idea is dangerous. Freakishly clean Sweede style parenting leads to sick kids with bad lungs and wimpy immune systems. It even creates superviruses that are immune to antibiotics.

Who ever heard of a clean hippie? I like the hipster term better. It's like a wanna be hippie with an amazon account.

Not all Hippies  are like that because not all hippies are liberal

True. I was just using prejudice and generalization. Some hippies kick ass. My mail man growing up was a hippie after Vietnam. He had a nice life delivering mail and smoking dope in the valley and was way into bows, guns and hunting. He drove a surplus willys.

Not a granola munching hippie at all.

If I read it right I get the 2nd one but not the first. It would be weird for me if my 2yr old would all of a sudden walk up to your kid to touch his head. Threre is nothing wrong with the act itself. However, I dont know what your response might be. Maybe you wontlike it. Maybe your kid might fell uncomfortable and start crying. But the part in the playground is a little weird but despite not having kids i can kinda understand it.