I bought a M17S long, long ago, and still have it. she is very accurate and I did not experience any jams, misfeeds etc.... very reliable gun.

I will tell you this, wear a leather glove on your non-shooting hand. that puppy will get warm with sustain firing.

I started out making a template for a hand guard for it, but that was put on the back burner for the last 14 or so years,  that template is down in my basement somewhere

I have seen some 17S where the  owners  attached a picatinny rail on the bottom of the gun and attached a forward grip, which for me sounds like the way to go, instead of fabricating a handguard for it.

now, If I was going to do that, which I probably will smile.png, after finishing up some other projects I'm working on.  I would opt for the MAKO or TDI folding vertical grip, like that is on the TAVOR. that gives you a option of either using the grip, or grabbing the grip in the folded position.  no more warm hands smile.png

MAKFGGS.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

looks very nice. I hope it's around $800 - would make it a very attractive purchase. They're short-stroke gas piston operated, right?

Ugh, just looked further into it. They're going to be $1800.

Edited by Shandlanos

i still haven't fired my yet, but i did email ken from kmaerospace and kmarms about him releasing that billet lower to attach to a factory upper, he said after he works out a way to keep people from just building a gun and selling it as his gun he will begin to think about selling just the lower. He will need to mark them as a lower only part so people cant counterfeit his gun. I wanted to ensure if i spent the time to mod this gun that i would be able to get that lower someday. 

I will be milling slots in the upper to help with ventilation and looks, I have a "T" handle that attaches to the factory charging handle ill be using that and trimming the height down then im going to machine a rail blank to replace the factory carry handle, rails on the side and bottom. All this makes it look like a different weapon altogether. The thing id really like to try is making a left side charging system, this gun looks so easy to change and modify.  its basically an aluminium box tube and you can just drill and tap it for rails ect.   

no its aluminium, would be super easy to customize, I dont know why bushmaster didnt just put a normal rail and different changing handle, they would probably still be making them if they had, they are heavy but other than that pretty well thought out.  in the factory guise its got to be one of the ugliest guns ever

seen a few around the shows. never shot one. let me know how it turns out.

i don't like the 5.56 round but if I did, the Tavor would be a first pick and the keltec m43 might come in second if it runs as good as my rfb. they should be out soon. They make an RDB that is very similar to my RFB but the M43 looks like it came out of the commie block. Very cool looking and you cant beat the forward ejecting brass. Nobody wants to tear their cheek off if they shoot a BP wrong handed.

check this thing out!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/new-kel-tec-rdb-m43-5-56-6-5-7-62x39/

no its aluminium, would be super easy to customize, I dont know why bushmaster didnt just put a normal rail and different changing handle, they would probably still be making them if they had, they are heavy but other than that pretty well thought out.  in the factory guise its got to be one of the ugliest guns ever

Surprising. The old Bushmaster "Assault Rifle" - yeah, they really called it that, stamped right on the gun - had a stamped sheet metal upper receiver, basically just a rectangular tube. I figured they would've gone the same route because it's cheap.

seen a few around the shows. never shot one. let me know how it turns out.

i don't like the 5.56 round but if I did, the Tavor would be a first pick and the keltec m43 might come in second if it runs as good as my rfb. they should be out soon. They make an RDB that is very similar to my RFB but the M43 looks like it came out of the commie block. Very cool looking and you cant beat the forward ejecting brass. Nobody wants to tear their cheek off if they shoot a BP wrong handed.

check this thing out!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/new-kel-tec-rdb-m43-5-56-6-5-7-62x39/

I've made that error - but it didn't tear my cheek off. Startled the shit out of me and hurt a bit for sure. It was my fault - it was someone else's rifle (either a Steyr AUG or an FN FS-2000, I can't recall) handed to me with a loaded mag, on the range. I just charged it, then fired - had no idea the owner was a lefty and wasn't bright enough to check before firing.

• Like 1

couldnt have been the fn fs200 its front eject, and the weapon i think your talking about is the arm pistol, its pretty cool and id love to own one. its an aluminium tube on the gen one guns there is a channel that the cam pin rides in and what lets the bolt turn to lock in the barrel extension , the gen two guns have a machines internal piece held in with four screws where your cheek would be. 

couldnt have been the fn fs200 its front eject, and the weapon i think your talking about is the arm pistol, its pretty cool and id love to own one. its an aluminium tube on the gen one guns there is a channel that the cam pin rides in and what lets the bolt turn to lock in the barrel extension , the gen two guns have a machines internal piece held in with four screws where your cheek would be. 

That might be the same action, but it's a different weapon - the Bushmaster Assault Rifle was a full-length rifle that took M16/AR15 mags. I believe it was also short-stroke gas piston.

This thing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/First_Generation_Bushmaster_Assault_Rifle.JPG

Though the one I saw had a folding stock, not fixed.

694.png

• Like 1

the Bushmaster Assault Rifle was a full-length rifle that took M16/AR15 mags. I believe it was also short-stroke gas piston.

First_Generation_Bushmaster_Assault_Rifl

Though the one I saw had a folding stock, not fixed.

that looks awfully like the Australian company LEADERS DYNAMICS rifle  they started producing these rifles in 1978, T2 MK they made them in both fixed and folding stocks . supposedly less then 2,000 were imported before the 89 AWB. that operated on a gas piston and took M16 magazines

Leader_t2_rifle.JPG

• Like 1

and while they are nice looking rifles, I like and prefer my M96 EXPEDITIONARY RIFLE from ROBINSON ARMS smile.png.  it's the only rifle that was ever  produced that looks like the STONER 63. I bought mine from ROBINSON ARMS back in 2000 or 2001. 

I believe that the STONER 63 was the "inspiration"; if you will, for both the BUSHMASTER and LEADERS DYNAMICS. they all operated with gas piston, rotating  locking bolt, and made of stamped sheet metal receivers.   

RA_M96_EXPEDITIONARY_RIFLE1.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...