Hey guys. There is gonna be a Sportsmens / Outdoors show here in Harrisburg starting Saturday. They always have all of the hunting stuff that the local guys don't sell. I decided to get a pump action shotgun instead of a Saiga because I can hunt everything with a pump action, but can't hunt deer with an auto loader. And I could spend 1/4 as much on a Mossberg as I would a Saiga. Im kind of fading out the tactacle shooting stuff and getting into hunting. I tried it this year for the first time since I was 12 and enjoyed it. Just small game and fur bearers right now, but I'll be moving up as I gain more knowledge and practice.

Heres what Im looking at. The most shotgun for the money I've seen so far is a Mossberg chambered for everything all the way up to a 3 1/2 super mag. It comes with a regular barrel and a rifled slug barrel, fiberoptic sights on the game barrel and rifle sights on the slugger. Its completely covered in Real Tree camo. For $299 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Needless to say, Im excited about this! I can buy a home defence barrel for it for about $60. Im not real interested in a defence model right now, but it doesen't hurt to look for options.

I've seen similar combo deals at all the other stores too. Remington has the same thing for about $100 more. There is a version with the thumbhole stock for about $150 more. So I'm still keeping an eye out for the best deal. I love the versatility and power options that the combo shotty gives. Its one gun for all hunting seasons!

I got my tax returns back and I'm allowed to spend around $1000 on guns, camo, game calls, ammo.....whatever. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns a Mossberg combo shotty or someone who hunts different seasons and what they have most success useing.....Thanks!

post-1374-1138970294_thumb.jpg

No autoloaders for deer hunting? Man!

Sounds like you know whatcha want.

I had a mossberg 835 combo with 3 1/2" chamber. It was fairly accurate with slugs in the rifled barrel and that was all I used it for. I had a saddle type scope mount. To go back & forth between smooth bore & rifled it was a pain because it involved removing the mount. I had a mossy 500 and still have an 870. I prefer the 870 out of the two. I now have a H&R 12g single shot ultra slug hunter with rifled barrel. It has a 10 gauge barrel bored for 12 gauge. I got it at Gander for $229. It shoots 1" to 2" groups at 100 yards with many of the holes touching. I used to use the 870 for small game until this year, then I began using the S-20.

post-2093-1138973220_thumb.jpg

If you want just one gun with 2 barrels, look for a slug barrel with a cantelever(sp?) scope mount. There's a rail attached to the rifled barrel that comes back over the top of the receiver you mount the scope to. Then you can swap out the barrels & you don't have to worry about re-zeroing the scope.

post-2093-1138973898_thumb.jpg

You can get a smoothbore that's choked and get rifled chokes, but they're not as good as a fully rifled barrel.

I'd suggest 2 dedicated guns! Cantilever barrels are over $200. You should be able to find a whole gun with rifled barrel for the same price and get a saddle-type scope mount. Rem 870's & Mossy 500's with smooth bore can be had everywhere for cheap. Make sure the smoothbore is choked because that will cost you $100 more down the road to have done.

Edited by dinzag

I picked up a mossberg for 270 OTD at the local Bass Pro recently... I would do it again too... It was one of the BEST combos for the money...

Pump, 3" chamber, 24" Rifled, ported cantilever mount slug barrel, 28" ported Vent rib bird barrel with 3 chokes. the crown grade walnut stocks...

Excellent lil shotty!!!

heres the link... you have seen it before...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7380

I like the mossberg... but thats just MY 2Cents...

:smoke:

Thanks guys.....I was sadly disapointed at the sportsmens show. No guns, mostly all regular sporting goods crap and places to book hunting excursions with up north. But I did get some really cool military surplus gear including a full charcoal outfit for $20

I decided on the Mossberg cobo. It came in full camo (both barrels) with fiberoptic sites, XXfull turkey choke, chambered up to 3 1/2". Rifle sites on the slug barrel. I already bought a "full" choke for it, so that I can shoot 00Buck at some old car hoods! :super: $299 at Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm kinda glad I got this shotty instead of a $500 Saiga 12. I mean the Saiga is cool, but not worth the going price, especially after the latest short barrel discovery. Its not much of a hunting shotgun in PA anyway.

Thanks for all of your input guys, I like the gun already. Packs a hell of a punch in 3 1/2". Its a little stiff yet from being new, but after I put a few dozen rounds through it (and drop it a few times) it should be good to go.

Damn Indy, I wish I could have found a deal like the one you got there! Thats a sweeeeet shotty! I wasn't lucky enough to get one of thoes Mossbergs that are overbored and ported with all of the bells and whistles. Mine is the basic 535 model, but it will do all the jobs I bought it for well enough.

post-1374-1139628551_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1139628565_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pistonring,

You made a good decision. Right now is not the time to buy a Saiga 12. Got to have one where you can change out the chokes so it can be fully utilized as intended. It will take some time before we see enough of the "good ones" to bring the price down to earth.

I'm in a contest with one of the dealers trying to get my money back since the gun was never transferred and I had to pay with a MO upfront. Translated, that means he is sitting on my cash, hoping to ship me one of those solder jobs if and when they are green lighted by BATF. I found out about the barrel issue the same day after mailing the cash via MO. If only I had waited one more day. Arghhhhh........ :ded:

Wolverine

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, Im really glad I didn't jump on board with the Saiga like I was going to. On the down side, I just talked to a buddy of mine who is trying to sell his Mossberg 835 (a better model) for around what I paid for my 535.......Well, it figures right? Anyway, its been a pretty good shotty so far. Taking a beating but not gracefully. I have already managed to scuff areas of the finish, knocked the rear site off, jammed up the elevator and gave the stock a nice deep gouge. And that was just from shooting crows! Hell, I haven't even shot through the slug barrel yet.

Well the good news is Gunsmoke returned my money order intact. I cashed it and stashed my $500+ cash. So all is good in my universe again. :angel:

Now to wait for a new 19" Saiga 12, threaded with BHO. :blues:

Wolverine