So, dumb question...these evil M855's that I may or may not have picked up over the weekend came on 10 round stripper clips. I don't intend to shoot them and wI'll be in storage for a long time. Should I take them all off the clips? Will the steel clip and brass case react over a long period of time? This is my first foray into anything that has these type of clips...

Edited by jwulf

I have not had any problems with long storage in stripper clips. Although the ones I have are lined with a brass strip, presumably to protect the primers from corrosion. Get yourself a strip loader for whatever mags you have and you can load them really quick and easy.

ak_47_stripper_clip_loader_tool_climags_

I think options are limited, but avoid these cheap guys if possible. Like everything else made in china, it looks like it'll work great. After a handful of times using it, it got bent to hell and I had to have a friend weld in some reinforcement. Even now it's stashed in with a myriad of other shooting supplies/gun parts in the back of a closet or bottom of a box. YMMV

Thanks for the replies. I will track down a loader and throw it in the can with them.

Look around on the interweb..you can usually find the surplus USGI spoons by the dozen cheap...I would get more than one. I keep at least 3 in every can that has ammo on stripper clips.

• Like 2

There was a spoon in the can. Now I need to learn how to use it should the need arise. But the loader looked like a better idea.

Irc, M855 full ammo cans comes with spoons. Might need more ammo anyway.

No need for the fancy crap. We did have a really trippy table that you would swipe ammo onto and load all 30 in one swing. It reminded me of a huge fancy auto cigarette machine. :) Take the wide end of the spoon and put it on the ass end of the feed lip of a stang mag. The thin side will be up with the stripper slid into it. Push down and repeat. It sure was nice to get a load in that was on strippers and not in cardboard boxes. I guess the cardboard did make good fire starter material.