all the newbs bought up all the spam cans of 54R?

54r is kind of an obscure caliber.

I wouldn't worry about the rifle being banned.

Just wait and watch the ammo supply.

If it rebounds, buy up cases and a rifle.

I like that caliber too but, I can't justify a new bullet, right now.

Good luck!

Edited by Sim_Player

Its a good round I just dont get anything that primarily depends on being fed by mil-surp supplies for reasonable pricing.

Same and only reason I avoid 5.45 and even barrels stamped 7.62x51 to a lesser degree, 308 is fine.

Mil-surp supplies fluctuate highly in a market that itself goes into periodic spasms. Far too many hands between us and the stock.

Good luck

Its a good round I just dont get anything that primarily depends on being fed by mil-surp supplies for reasonable pricing.

Same and only reason I avoid 5.45 and even barrels stamped 7.62x51 to a lesser degree, 308 is fine.

Mil-surp supplies fluctuate highly in a market that itself goes into periodic spasms. Far too many hands between us and the stock.

Good luck

Wise words.

For me, life is to short to worry about things like that. 54r isn't my go to cartridge. I just like shooting it, especially out of my Vepr. Shoot what you like, own what interests you.

• Like 1

Probably temporary. 

All the 54r ammo was coming out of Ukraine, they stopped selling the ammo due to the conflict.

They are in need of money and are sitting on a mountain of ammo. If the conflict winds down odds are the shortage go away for a while.

I have enough that at my current usage I have a 50 year supply. I'm mostly stocking .223 right now.

At present there are fantastic deals on 9x19 ammo and there have been good buys on .223 and 7.62x39. I'd suggest stocking up on them while the getting is good.

If you always want to have it, find what you like and stock up. All the stuff in bulk from the Com Block countries can go away in a blink of an eye. Not long ago bulk tins of 7.62x25 was cheap and plentiful, now not so much (if at all). Lesson Learned! 7.62x54r heavy ball is a bitch to find these days as well.