I'm still driving an '88 Comanche! Nothing out there that compares!!

Jeep is supposed to be releasing a pickup in the not to distant future. I might have one in a few years then retire my jku into a trail rig.

Always liked the Comanche.

Edit; Wish they would have made the Gladiator concept pickup.

Edited by Mullet Man

Rice, Rice Baby!

If the big 3 would build an actual quality small/mid size pickup that met the requirements I want, I wouldn't be having this discussion.

Ford refused to build the 4-dr crew cab Ranger, thinking that it would kill F-150 sales. I like the Explorer Sport Trac, but the later model years switched to an IRS with poor ground clearance, and the 4.0 SOHC is known for developing timing chain tensioner issues.

I like the Colorado, but it's underpowered (no I6, only I5), and not interested in going back in time to the S-10, which is fairly hard to find in the 4-dr layout any how. I have to be honest I am really not a huge fan of GM interior build quality, materials, or layout at all - even if they are mechanically sound. I may force myself to look at a Colorado though just to say that I did.

Dodge Dakota is rife with mechanical reliability issues and horrible styling inside & out. Not my bag at all.

If I didn't have a family and just wanted a small 4x4 truck, I would already be driving a late model Ranger FX4.

they making a turbo diesel colorado that supposed to get 30mpg?

we need to repeal that "chicken tax" tariff!!

Yeah the Colorado diesel looks awesome, the price tag does not. Last time I looked the price estimates on a crew cab diesel Colorado were near $40k.

Jeep has been throwing the pickup concept around for years. A JKU with the cargo area eliminated and a bed stretched an extra 1-2ft would be pretty cool, but given the light gauge steel the JK tub is stamped from, and the multi-link coil suspension, it isn't going to have that much of a weight capacity vs. a leaf-sprung truck.

They do make the leaf-sprung JK for export/military contracts.. I believe Israel and Egypt have purchased them. They even have a reinforced cargo door. Of course it's also a diesel. American public wants to buy one? Fuck off.

jeep_j8_test_drive_%20091.JPG

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1