#1 Darth Saigus

Darth Saigus

High Functioning Sociopath

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

I'll post this here as a reference.

I'm putting a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X scope on my Sig556 Russian.  The Vortex AR BDC is set up for the 5.56 obviously so the hashmarks won't be right for the rainbow 7.62x39.  But if properly zeroed the AR BDC can be used out to 500yds very easily.

I did the calculations using Vortex ballistic calculator.  The ammunition I chose for my calculations is Golden Tiger.  Based on a BC of .300 and a velocity of 2375 and using a 50/150yd zero, here is what I get.

First column is yards, second column is the actual bullet drop, third column is the moa of the BDC hashmarks, fourth column is the difference.

100 . +0.9 .-0.0 . +0.9

200 . -1.5 . -2.4 . -0.9

300 . -5.6 . -5.6 . -0.0

400 .-10.9 .-9.5 . -1.4

500 .-17.5 -14.6 .-3.1

• GunFun likes this

The "Silent Majority" will be silent no longer.  Welcome to The Revolution.

#2 scattergun10

scattergun10

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

I didn't think 7.62x39 had any drop at 200. I thought it was around 250 that it started. I knew at 300 and beyond it drops like a turd in a well.  

#3 Darth Saigus

Darth Saigus

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:25 AM

All bullets begin dropping the second they leave the muzzle. Gravity: It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

Because of this we generally fire bullets slightly upward so that the bullet will rise to the sight plane, and often above it.

A very simple diagram which should help sort it out.

Attached File  external ballistics.jpg   44.92KB   1 downloads

A complete explanation of external ballistics is a separate discussion but simply search "external ballistics" in Google for more details.

Edited by Darth Saigus, 29 February 2016 - 12:33 PM.

• unforgiven, Long Shot and SGL like this

#4 unforgiven

unforgiven

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

It is surprising how many shooters, hunters and even reloaders have little understand of ballistics.

I know avid hunters that know nothing but a hard zero at some specific range.

To them every thing else is just "guess work"

Many folks never shoot over a hundred yards or so, never have much inclination or declination .

Unless new shooters study or are mentored by experienced and educated shooters ....they dont get the exposure.

For that matter, lots of older folks that have a lifetime of shooting have never really looked at it.

I hope Darths thread sparks some interest here

• patriot likes this

#5 InTTruder

InTTruder

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

I didn't think 7.62x39 had any drop at 200. I thought it was around 250 that it started. I knew at 300 and beyond it drops like a turd in a well.  

Every round drops the instant it leaves the muzzle.  You might have super-elevation for a zero at 100 or 200, but the round has arched upwards and then down to do that.

#6 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

I'm putting a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X scope on my Sig556 Russian.  The Vortex AR BDC is set up for the 5.56 obviously so the hashmarks won't be right for the rainbow 7.62x39.  But if properly zeroed the AR BDC can be used out to 500yds very easily.

I did the calculations using Vortex ballistic calculator.  The ammunition I chose for my calculations is Golden Tiger.  Based on a BC of .300 and a velocity of 2375 and using a 50/150yd zero, here is what I get.

First column is yards, second column is the actual bullet drop, third column is the moa of the BDC hashmarks, fourth column is the difference.

100 . +0.9 .-0.0 . +0.9

200 . -1.5 . -2.4 . -0.9

300 . -5.6 . -5.6 . -0.0

400 .-10.9 .-9.5 . -1.4

500 .-17.5 -14.6 .-3.1

So for quick and dirty field calculations, aim an inch higher than the hash mark per hundred yards after 300. That's easy enough.

• SGL likes this

#7 Darth Saigus

Darth Saigus

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:27 AM

I was able to test this to 300yds and found it worked very well for 100, 200, and 300.

#8 Darth Saigus

Darth Saigus

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

I was looking at these numbers again for a range trip today and I realized that I was a bit unclear about the bullet drop numbers.  The bullet drop is in MOA, not inches.  So MOA times range in hundreds of yards gives the actual difference in inches.  Here is a more complete table.

First column is yards,

.........second column is the actual bullet drop in MOA, 

...................third column is the moa of the BDC hashmarks,

.............................fourth column is the difference in MOA,

......................................fifth column is difference in inches.

100 . +0.9 .-0.0 . +0.9  +0.9"

200 . -1.5 . -2.4 . -0.9   -1.8"

300 . -5.6 . -5.6 . -0.0   -0.0"

400 .-10.9 .-9.5 . -1.4   -5.6"

500 .-17.5 -14.6 .-3.1   -9.3"

#9 liberty -r- death

liberty -r- death

I walk where the devil dances. . .

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

I purchased this scope a couple of months ago and it is my new favorite.
- even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while -
- Obuhmer won the election, we're fucked, keep on prepping -

#10 poolingmyignorance

poolingmyignorance

DEFINITELY NOT DIPLOMATIC

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

I do a 25 yard zero, and I'm back on zero at 200 yards with wolf FMJ. I'm not sure the chrono on that round but it's what I have the most of.
Our 2nd Amendment right is the most important of all, because it ensures us our ability to ultimately govern ourselves.
The ORGINAL Freedom of Religion is freedom FROM religion: My freedom from your religion and your freedom from mine.

**my post are meant to be general reference, and are not meant to be all inclusive. So if you say or atempt any of the actions that my postings reference ..your on your own*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users