Does anyone here do their own gunstock checkering?

I am refinishing a 1978 Remington 1100 stock with the machine "impressed" checkering for a friend of a friend. Once the gloss finish that he wants is applied, it will fill in the impressed checkering, and will look like crap. This led me to do some research on converting impressed checkering to the traditional raised checkering. I could cut it after finishing the stock which would highlight the checkering even more. As intimidating as checkering looks, with the right tools, it looks like it may be tedious but not difficult.

I am going to buy a couple of 90 degree single cutters (one push cut, one pull cut) to start practicing with. Any other folks out there who have done it and any advice for someone getting started?

• Like 1

I haven't done stocks yet, but I have done a few sets of grips for 1911s.

As you said, it's not hard, but it takes a while, and you have to be very patient.

Since I haven't done much, about the only tips I have would be to use cross lighting, so you can see the shadows of your checkering, with straight on lighting it blends in with the wood grain and becomes very easy to misjudge the depth. Also, I would get some multi-row cutters (2-3), that way if you want, you can start your own pattern from scratch on another piece, might also make redoing the 1100's checkering easier, just make sure you get the right line spacing. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the feedback. I figured I would start off with the single cutters just to see if it was something I wanted or even could do, and then if I like it, I'll invest in some multi rows to be able to do unique patterns. Thanks also for the lighting tip...makes perfect sense.

Would love to see some of your work.

You'll want a multi-row cutter if you plan on starting from scratch, it can be tricky to keep the lines straight even using that.

If you haven't bought yet, I have the Dem-Bart "Starter's Special", it's a kit that comes with single cutters, 2-row cutters, edging cutters, a border cutter, and a flexible plastic diamond to help you lay out the master lines on a contour. Midway USA has it listed at $50, it's definitely worth it.

Here's the set I did for my grandpa's 1911.

post-38542-0-94891600-1461269238_thumb.jpg  post-38542-0-52126600-1461269393_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've considered doing some with my brother's CNC router too, since I can easily do irregular patterns such as spiral checkering. Easily if I had any skills with CAD anyway.

• Like 2