Hey Guys:

These two packs get my attention mostly due to my price range: an ALPS Commander and an Eberlestock X3. I like how they both can carry a rifle. My indecision lies in how everyone seems to really like Eberlestock packs. However, I cannot afford a G4 Operator. The G2 Gunrunner seems to be on the small side. 

The ALPS costs about half as much, and has more than twice the capacity of the Eberlestock X3. But I know nothing of ALPS quality.and their video makes it seem complicated to put together.

I'm just looking for a quality pack that can carry a bolt rifle too. I like how they both use hydration packs. I understand Eberlestock's hydration packs, but ALPS doesn't demonstrate what kind of hydro pack their Commander accepts. 

I just want a pack I can quickly put on that carries hydration bladders, have food, fire starting, & ammo supplies inside, and haul a .30 cal. bolt rifle. I'm not actually planning to carry parts of an elk around the wilderness - just a bug-out bag sort of thing and a rifle. 

I am open to opinions and suggestions from all of you with more experience. I just thought I'd share these two. I hope the links work. I couldn't copy & paste their pictures. 

ALPS:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/387896/alps-outdoorz-commander-frame-backpack-nylon-tan

EBERLESTOCK X3 LoDrag:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2634195370/eberlestock-x3-lodrag-backpack-nylon

I don't do much backpacking anymore, but I always preferred a pack with an external frame. The larger size of the ALPS is a plus, too.

Watch yard/garage sales. I picked up a great pack for my daughter very similar to the ALPS for $15. About the only difference is the pouch for the buttstock is absent on the one I got and it's a funky dark aqua and black with a few yellow molle straps. Heavy duty and decent quality, though.

Edited by YOT

You don't need either of those packs for your stated usage.

I recommend an Alice Pack with the 'Hellcat' mods.

Standard frame and medium ruck

Molle Lc-2 straps

Molle molded kidney pad

Molle sleep system carrier

Molle Camelbak carrier

You could add a molle side scabbard for a shotgun, but as for your primary weapon, you want that ready to go on sling.

As for what else you want at hand on your pack, there are literally innumerable variations.

Edited by ChileRelleno