I decided to plunk down the cash to build a side charging AR platform rifle. My single biggest complaint about the the AR has always been the rear charging T-handle and forward assist. The side charging design of the AK has always been better in my opinion, and I hope this hybrid AR design works as well in real life as it does in my day dreams.

I should have everything delivered in the next week or so, and will get a range report put together as soon as I can. I may even try my hand at some video, but I have not made up my mind on that just yet.

I would like to know which one you are building as well. Here is my side charger built on a Spartan billet lower and non-reciprocating side charging upper. It uses a standard Bolt / Carrier but you replace the cam pin with one supplied with the upper. So far no issues, and controls are much more intuitive. Good luck and post some pics:

post-37530-0-61402900-1477943851_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-26283900-1477943872_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-84350800-1477943918_thumb.jpeg

I have a PSA reciprocating bolt. The bolt handle moving doesn't bother me since my AK platform rifles, and Stoeger 3000 all operate similarly. I thought maybe this would be my last chance to get anything affordable, and decided to buy it just before Comey made his announcement. If Hillary wins it will be one more the party like it's 1776 if she pulls it off.

• Like 2

I own a Adcor B.E.A.R. Elite (that has a HK style side charger and rear charger) and found that I still prefer to go to the rear handle so I added one with a larger grab area. It comes down to personal preference, but in my case, the non reciprocating fold down handle just isn't as handy as the one on the AK.

Google ar15 hard charger. Doesn't look as good as a sstand alone upper. But as an add on that requires no special bolt carrier or upper and at a cost of 150 it seems like it could be the ticket for a lot of folks thinking about a side charging upper. It bholds to the very front rail of the upper and replaces the factory charging handle. Doesn't move while firing and can be added to about any ar15. I'm thinking about getting one for my 9mm ar15 after I finish outfiting it with other goodies.