Magazine Guides...

Magazine guide? As in, a mag-well that orients the magazine properly but isn't strait feed?

I've not seen any on gunbroker...there's a new 8-round magazine with mag-well for sale there.

I was originally working on a mag-guide, but gave up b/c it's a PIA and I'd rather have a strait feed mag-well...which is another can of worms completely, though I wouldn't be surprised if you see one on my S20 pretty soon. :angel:

Edited by AegisDei
Yes I am talking about the magazine well/ magazine guide as on the Saiga 12S EXP 030 SWAT model.

As the other guy said, they are for straight -in new SWAT mags, complete with last round BHO. They are the holy grail. If I was sure that I could get them to work with my 2001 internals, I would have bought the well and mag on Gunbroker by now, but the more I think about it, the internals would HAVE to be different for the last round BHO to work and the straight in mag to work. There's that, and the PRICE!!!

What do you mean by "straight-in" magazine?

Aren't they just like the factory 8 round magazines, with the front "lip" shaved off?

Is the magazine body geometry any different?

I think it is, but some guys don't, and the jury is still out until someone buys one.

Aren't they just like the factory 8 round magazines, with the front "lip" shaved off?

Negative on the first question, affirmative on the second. Check out the Finn shotgun club vid as well as the Izhmash "booth" vid from the international arms show in Thailand last year. The Izhmash vid is on the Izhmash website as well as around here. The Finn vid is around here somewhere. The Finns make an aluminium copy of the Russian EXP 1-30 well and grind off the front lug and all that holds the mag in is the friction of the well and the standard mag catch. The Russian well is the fiber reinforced polyamide. See the vid.

Edited by inparidel
The Finns make an aluminium copy of the Russian EXP 1-30 well and grind off the front lug and all that holds the mag in is the friction of the well and the standard mag catch.

I guess that would be why in the Shitbird vid one of the mags just pops out when shooting. I was wondering why, now I know.

Edited by epsylum

Negative on the first question, affirmative on the second. Check out the Finn shotgun club vid as well as the Izhmash "booth" vid from the international arms show in Thailand last year. The Izhmash vid is on the Izhmash website as well as around here. The Finn vid is around here somewhere. The Finns make an aluminium copy of the Russian EXP 1-30 well and grind off the front lug and all that holds the mag in is the friction of the well and the standard mag catch. The Russian well is the fiber reinforced polyamide. See the vid.

Thank you.

Are you referring to the Saiga-12 video on the Izhmash website?

Was this displayed in Thailand, or is there another video?

Thanks again, CGuns

The Finns make an aluminium copy of the Russian EXP 1-30 well and grind off the front lug and all that holds the mag in is the friction of the well and the standard mag catch.

I guess that would be why in the Shitbird vid one of the mags just pops out when shooting. I was wondering why, now I know.

No friction used.

If there were friction the mag shouln't have dropped, right? And it would be a pain in the ass if you should have to pull the mag out when changing. I drew that mag mag out twice in video simply because PJ stepped on one 13-rounder when training (And it became not-so-reliable...) for completion and so you can see me trowing those mags away from my feet to avoid stepping on them. TommiF just didn't push the mag completely in. Imagine AR15 but because of mag latch being placed elsewhere mag drops when not inserted correctly. ;)

Can't say it's a copy since after I made those magwells people started to ask if I was copying Russian-well and so I found out that there is this EXP 1-30...

Is there any gun that uses friction to keep mag in? ...Exept Glock with older (Plastic or "1/2" sheetmetal insert) 33-round mags. :D;)

-JamShot

I'm still working on a mag guide (not a well). I think its a lot less of a PIA than the "real deal" straight in well. However, its not as effective. The Stimpcatch was a good start, but the mag really needs proper guidance in two axes like the first generation SWATs. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Is there any gun that uses friction to keep mag in? ...Exept Glock with older (Plastic or "1/2" sheetmetal insert) 33-round mags. :D;)

-JamShot

You're right Jamshot, friction would not be reliable. Also, was it you that said that the effect of recoil on the extended mag lever would move it and release the mag?

Friction will work if applied at the right places and in the right directions.

The extended mag-catches fail if made of a heavy metal like steal, something light like aluminum doesn't pick up enough inertia during a recoil to actually release the magazine.