I didn't see that on World News Tonight!

When President Elect Trump is officially the POTUS and when this happens again (and it will), I hope his only question is:  Why are they still floating?  I am so tired of this cat and mouse bullshit.  Even with the Russians.  Time to DRAW THE LINE AND BACK IT UP.

On 5 April 1986, Libyan agents bombed "La Belle" nightclub in West Berlin, killing three people, one being a U.S. Serviceman,[9] and injuring 229 people who were spending the evening there. West Germany and the United States obtained cable transcripts from Libyan agents in East Germany who were involved in the attack.

More detailed information was retrieved years later when Stasi archives were investigated by the reunited Germany. Libyan agents who had carried out the operation from the Libyan embassy in East Germany were identified and prosecuted by Germany in the 1990s.[10]

After several unproductive days of meeting with European and Arab nations, and influenced by an American serviceman's death, Ronald Reagan, on the 14th of April, ordered an air raid on Libya. Eighteen F-111F strike aircraft of the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing, flying from RAF Lakenheath and supported by four EF-111A Ravens of the 20th Tactical Fighter Wing from RAF Upper Heyford in England, in conjunction with fifteen A-6, A-7, F/A-18 attack aircraft and EA-6B Prowler Electronic Warfare Aircraft from the aircraft carriers USS Saratoga, USS America and USS Coral Sea on station in the Gulf of Sidra, struck five targets at 02:00 on 15 April, with the stated objectives of sending a message and reducing Libya's ability to support and train terrorists. Reagan warned that "if necessary, [they] shall do it again."[11]

Edited by sjgusmc21

One of the Blackbird videos on Youtube (can't find it right now) has an interview with one of the pilots who flew the before/after recon. missions over Libya.

On the "after" flight, they had to fly over much faster than usual, due to the heavy AA fire from the PO'd Libyan Air Defenses. They were not sure if the pictures even came out due to the speed they had to fly to stay alive, but all the pictures came out perfect!  :up:

Dang it, coulda been flying that fast all along!  :D

One of the Blackbird videos on Youtube (can't find it right now) has an interview with one of the pilots who flew the before/after recon. missions over Libya.

On the "after" flight, they had to fly over much faster than usual, due to the heavy AA fire from the PO'd Libyan Air Defenses. They were not sure if the pictures even came out due to the speed they had to fly to stay alive, but all the pictures came out perfect! :up:

Dang it, coulda been flying that fast all along! :D

My Father-in-law had been a Crew Chief on the SR-71 at one point.

He was my Squadron Commander later (he was a Commissioned Major in line for Lt. Col.), when I met his 18yo daughter.

Happily married 23 years and still going!

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2