Muzzle velocity and feet/sec of 8" conversion

Is it alot of bark but not bite?

How is it possible to get decent muzzle velocity when it takes over a foot for all the powder to burn?

Believe me, I want to be a believer but I have my doubts as to the 8" conversion's practibility.

I see it can shoot through paper but can I stake my life on it stopping an attacker at 25 yards or more?

The flip side of the argument is: Will an elongated choke tube resolve these issues and make it convertible as well as practicable as a hunter?

Just looking for your thoughts!

Is it alot of bark but not bite?

How is it possible to get decent muzzle velocity when it takes over a foot for all the powder to burn?

Believe me, I want to be a believer but I have my doubts as to the 8" conversion's practibility.

I see it can shoot through paper but can I stake my life on it stopping an attacker at 25 yards or more?

The flip side of the argument is: Will an elongated choke tube resolve these issues and make it convertible as well as practicable as a hunter?

Just looking for your thoughts!

if you use 3inch magnum 00buck

you'll have 15 30cal balls per shot

and the spread at 25 yards...

10 round mag.... that a wall of lead

what's not to trust?

I can throw a rock at you 3" round and it may hurt like hell when it hits but thats not going to stop an armed attacker.

Bullets are dangerous not because of their size but primarily due to the velocity.

I was wondering if anyone had some real numbers IE: ft/sec.

What good is a wall of lead if there is no penetration.

I want to do the conversion, just not convinced it is the way to go.

Edited by macgyverhk

hard to clock buckshot, since you're more likely to clock the wad and not the buck. i'm guessing slugs are more reliable for clocking (but i dont have any info on that). :)

i remember someone posting figures for buck, but it was inconsistent, and hence i think he was clocking the wads and not the buck...

Good to see someone understands the question.

Thank you.

I just wonder if the lack of muzzle velocity is what caused the Florida PD to decide to stick with their 870's rather than the 8" conversions.

Believe me, I want a Krink sized shotgun just not so sure the Physics agree.

True, I'm now thinking along the lines of a 12-14" barrel. But that doesn't answer my question.

Remington came out with a factory modular system a few years back for law enforcement. It consisted of the following:

10" breacher barrel

14" entry barrel

18" general purpuse

I'm sure they put some thought in to this kit, which has been adopted and is in active service.

So is the 8" barrel too short to be effective, or in other words does it have an ineffectual terminal velocity?

If so would a barrel extension such as the newly designed tromix surpressor increase the terminal velocity by allowing more time for the gasses to burn?

well, maybe you should ask Tony Rumore (if he has time to answer that is, the man is working himself to death :) ). he's the authority on these shortbarreled shotties.

i also did some digging for you, but i couldn't find the post regarding the numbers, however i did come across a post discussing 19" vs 22" vs 24". appearantly it is stated there that the difference is 7 fps for each extra inch. the same formula is probably not valid for the 8" (since the graph is probably a parabole).

either way, i've never heard any owner of a 8" whine about the power of their little toy... personally, i'd never go below 12", but that's simply because i dont see the use of going smaller than that.

sorry that i could help you more.

J. Zimba mentioned on a different forum that he was planning on doing a destructive test to answer just such a question by cutting the barrel of a sacrificial shotty bit by bit and testing muzzle velocity at each length. havent heard about any results yet. as for clocking the wad, i would think that it wouldn't be an issue if your mesuring right at the muzzle, since it hasn't expanded had the aero drag slow it down yet?? (total guess on my part. havent ever really worked with a chrono, and don't know how quickly the wad expands and slows...)

I just wonder if the lack of muzzle velocity is what caused the Florida PD to decide to stick with their 870's rather than the 8" conversions.

Florida probably went with the 870 for the price. Most of the time a government agency "almost" always go with the cheapest prices.

Tony told me once that you loose about 100fps for every 4 inches you remove. I'm not sure what his starting length was for the numbers. I doubt this could be completely accurate for the full length of the barrel.

I did send an email to tony and hope he will be willing to hime in here.

My thinking is the longer the barrel the more room for the powder to burn. So would a barrel extention work o increase the velocity?

If this is true we can have the best of both worlds.

The other argument is that todays powders burn much faster and lengh is not as big an issue so long as you can still choke the barrel.

I did send an email to tony and hope he will be willing to hime in here.

My thinking is the longer the barrel the more room for the powder to burn. So would a barrel extention work o increase the velocity?

If this is true we can have the best of both worlds.

The other argument is that todays powders burn much faster and lengh is not as big an issue so long as you can still choke the barrel.

There is a "sweet" length for any barrel of any gun. Go to long and you will start to loose power as well. Same with a rifle. Also the longer a barrel the more vibration there is to throw the shot.

I'm not sure about the extension but you would think it would.

Tony shortens the gas chamber for the 12 inch also. You don't nessesarilly have to though for a 12inch barrel.

Edited by Mike Davidson

Here are the numbers as tested by board member Caspian.

Remington 1oz slugs

31" 1557fps

25" 1498fps

19" 1411fps

13" 1324fps

7" 1131fps

Theoretically an 8" barrel would do about 1170fps. So, if you were shooting double aught buck, it would be similar to getting hit by a whole pile of 9mm.

Tony

Here are the numbers as tested by board member Caspian.

Remington 1oz slugs

31" 1557fps

25" 1498fps

19" 1411fps

13" 1324fps

7" 1131fps

Theoretically an 8" barrel would do about 1170fps. So, if you were shooting double aught buck, it would be similar to getting hit by a whole pile of 9mm.

Tony

Would using a barrel extension be feasable in increasing the velo0city and controlling the pattern (if it was threaded for a choke)

Can we have a modular 8"

Would it then be feasable to take our 8" tromix's out skeet shooting or possibly hunting Tony?

Say 12" extension tube with a choke?

So next question has to be, can you build the extension and make it work?

Do you think it could work with slugs too?

Edited by macgyverhk

Nobel Sport Law Enforcement Buckshot...

12 gauge

2 3/4

1290 FPS

00 Buck (12 pellets)

Based on Tony's numbers:

19" 1411fps

13" 1324fps (-87 from a 19" already factored in)

7" 1131fps (-193 from a 13" already factored in)

You should be getting

19" 1290

13" 1203 (-87 from a 19" already factored in)

7" 1010 (-193 from a 13" already factored in)

....Now if tony can get the specs on the Silencer muahahah... that = subsonic (about 1120 fps). A silencer actually increases velocity a little bit since it is longer, but if its close to 1010 (or less with different brands that clock around 1200 or less starting stat) then its possible I think.

Interesting thoughts though.

~Steve

Edited by whatmanual

12 gauge

2 3/4

1290 FPS

00 Buck (12 pellets)

Based on Tony's numbers:

19" 1411fps

You should be getting

19" 1290

....Now if tony can get the specs on the Silencer muahahah... that = subsonic (about 1120 fps). A silencer actually increases velocity a little bit since it is longer, but if its close to 1010 (or less with different brands that clock around 1200 or less starting stat) then its possible I think.

~Steve

would the "can" also act as a choke?

the damned clays won't hear it coming

12 gauge

2 3/4

1290 FPS

00 Buck (12 pellets)

Based on Tony's numbers:

19" 1411fps

You should be getting

19" 1290

~Steve

would the "can" also act as a choke?

the damned clays won't hear it coming

I have two Saiga twelves that shoot low recoil buck shot without any problems (both have been altered to original AK configuration the way God intended). My buddy has two (one altered and one original) and his will not function with the low recoil law enforcement buckshot. Anybody got any suggestions on where to start.

I prefer the lawman buck now since I fixed my agp mag issues. Essentially the stats (1290fps) and having 12 pellets in front of that power is a plus.

But to be really honest...I like the brands that come in boxes of "10". Not 5, not 15.

Federal and sometimes Winchester slugs come in box of 10, so thats nice.