Is it a pain in NY to register a bike with a salvage title?

I was just going to PM NailBomb, but I figured others might have some input as well.

You know the answer to this.

ANYTHING dealing with the NY DMV is a pain in the ass.

That said when you get done fixing it you'll just have to have a inspection done making sure its roadworthy and everything is in working order, theres the usual paperwork at the DMV, and insuring it can be harder. Some insurance companies will not insure a salvage title bike.

Is it a pain in NY to register a bike with a salvage title?

I was just going to PM NailBomb, but I figured others might have some input as well.

You know the answer to this.

ANYTHING dealing with the NY DMV is a pain in the ass.

That said when you get done fixing it you'll just have to have a inspection done making sure its roadworthy and everything is in working order, theres the usual paperwork at the DMV, and insuring it can be harder. Some insurance companies will not insure a salvage title bike.

True, ANYTHING with the DMV is a pain :lol: .

I won't be the one fixing it up. When I was just down in South Carolina, a friend introduced me to a guy who rebuilds salvage-titled bikes to almost new condition. My buddy swears by him, and would look everything over for me (being that I'm too poor to fly back down anytime soon...........and I'm no bike mechanic). The guy can ship bikes dirt cheap too.

I didn't even think about the insurance end, and the title being a problem. I'll have to call around and make sure I can even get one insured.

what are you looking at anyway, you got me all curous...

Right now, an '07 or '08 GSXR600. That particular bike has a clean title, I think, but usually the ones the guy rebuilds have a salvage title.

In Pa. it is a real pain in the ass. You have to apply just as if you built a bike on your own (I've got one title back and am waiting for another) It is then a "Special Construction" You get a new set of #s and a neato giant 2x4 tag to mount to your down tube. You have to send all your bill's of laiding or sales slip and #s from engine, tranny and frame. They may want the rest of the sales slips to come up with a value so you can pay a regestration fee. It then needs to go off to the inspection station fill out a form, they road test it, then you somehow have to put so many miles on it ( I forget how many) then take it back to be inspected again. Insurance for a special construction is sometimes double. That is what I had to do with My 64 HD. I know it's not NY like you asked just my experience.

Edited by whitetrashrn
In Pa. it is a real pain in the ass. You have to apply just as if you built a bike on your own (I've got one title back and am waiting for another) It is then a "Special Construction" You get a new set of #s and a neato giant 2x4 tag to mount to your down tube. You have to send all your bill's of laiding or sales slip and #s from engine, tranny and frame. They may want the rest of the sales slips to come up with a value so you can pay a regestration fee. It then needs to go off to the inspection station fill out a form, they road test it, then you somehow have to put so many miles on it ( I forget how many) then take it back to be inspected again. Insurance for a special construction is sometimes double. That is what I had to do with My 64 HD. I know it's not NY like you asked just my experience.

DAMN! That sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

From this thread, and reading around, I think I just better tell my buddy to tell the guy I'll only deal with a clean titled bike.

My chopper is under a assembled title. Its a bit more work but like i said, the hardest part is going through the fucking lines and getting the right paperwork, filled out the right way...

My yamaha however has a clean title, but is one of the least roadworthy bikes i've ever seen. No front brakes? check. Rats nest for wiring harness? Check. fouls plugs? check. hell for a few months I was on checked junkyard tires...

heres a pic. its old though, i've done a lot of work on it. I'm trying to get some brakes on the front and rewire the whole thing... I might even do something about that right cylender burning oil...

l_3841fba2eaa4b6d900446821a7358e23.jpg

this is up to date.

l_7dec04f83eda4ed58ce8dc2dd5d83d47.jpg

My chopper is under a assembled title. Its a bit more work but like i said, the hardest part is going through the fucking lines and getting the right paperwork, filled out the right way...

My yamaha however has a clean title, but is one of the least roadworthy bikes i've ever seen. No front brakes? check. Rats nest for wiring harness? Check. fouls plugs? check. hell for a few months I was on checked junkyard tires...

heres a pic. its old though, i've done a lot of work on it. I'm trying to get some brakes on the front and rewire the whole thing... I might even do something about that right cylender burning oil...

l_3841fba2eaa4b6d900446821a7358e23.jpg

this is up to date.

l_7dec04f83eda4ed58ce8dc2dd5d83d47.jpg

Looks good.

I've never really been into the "chopper" style bikes, although some do make me drool. I've noticed the "Harley-types vs. the Sportbike-types" scenario is pretty much the same as the "Domestic vs. Import car" scenarios. Everyone's got different tastes.

I have an addiction to the whine of an inline-4 screaming down the highway.

Looks good.

I've never really been into the "chopper" style bikes, although some do make me drool. I've noticed the "Harley-types vs. the Sportbike-types" scenario is pretty much the same as the "Domestic vs. Import car" scenarios. Everyone's got different tastes.

I don't know if thats really the case, I just like older bikes. I like older cars too. I would enjoy owning a old Z1, or a cafe style bike.

Is it that big of a hassle to get a ny title? Damn that sucks! I got this in 2002, put it in a basket ( "literally" ) for a year. And this is what I finished with.

oddpix036.jpg

Don't give up. A good ole bike is well worth it.

Edited by Sly
Looks good.

I don't know if thats really the case, I just like older bikes. I like older cars too. I would enjoy owning a old Z1, or a cafe style bike.

I hear ya.

Real bikers respect anyone on two wheels!

I agree. I wasn't saying all crotch-rocket riders hate HD riders, or vice versa. I was just stating what I've seen on occasion. For example, a local bar has a "bike night" on Thursdays. It's about 90% HD-style bikes, and 10% crotch rockets. The crotch-rocket guys are pretty much made to park off to the side, in a side-lot. No joke. I could understand if they were being obnoxious or rude to the majority riders, but that's not the case.

I was following a buddy back in highschool. Me driving my car, and him on his '96ish GSXR750. I saw many HD types give a wave to him as they passed.

Although I'm a fan of sportbikes, and that's what I plan on getting..........if I were going on a long ride, I'd damn sure opt for something like Sly or NailBomb posted pics of! :D

Great looking bike Sly. A great example of a classic AMERICAN sport bike.. The left hand shift is tricky sometimes but it all what you get used to. Some guys would want to steal it but once on it they wouldn't know what to do with it. My 64 xlh I switched around. Mine was a total basket.

• 1 month later...

Nailbomb those XS-650's are fun as hell to tinker with. I picked one up for $25.00 then added the Boyer Brandsen ignition rebuilt the carbs and had it running through US129 Deals Gap after the first week. Good place for parts is http://www.mikesxs.net/ and a good place for ideas is http://www.650motorcycles.com

Nailbomb those XS-650's are fun as hell to tinker with. I picked one up for $25.00 then added the Boyer Brandsen ignition rebuilt the carbs and had it running through US129 Deals Gap after the first week. Good place for parts is http://www.mikesxs.net/ and a good place for ideas is http://www.650motorcycles.com

Yeah I have mine with a boyer ignition setup and mikuni VM carbs. All of my issues have been mostly with the wiring harness. I'm just not that good with automotive wiring.

Currently chasing out a deal on 5 spare engines for $150...

Gotta love old jap bikes, they are so cheap to work on! :super:

I miss my bike! :(

I live in such a crap neighborhood that if I was to take in out of storage in would get stolen or vandalized in a minute if I borough it here.

• 5 months later...

All of the fabrication is pretty much done, and this time when its together its staying together. We're targeting 2 bike shows and then its off to hillside performance to get started and dyno'd. I'm looking foward to the snow thats landing right now to leave, I wanna get a good riding season in.

P1310013.JPG

• 1 month later...

bush-mission574x315.jpg

Went to Dinos to get the photos taken, I'll probably upload some better ones after we get better word on if a magazine picks it up. As it stands it is professional courtesy to not release any of the profesionaly done photos.

The last 3 days were a hell ride with hours upon hours of cleaning, polishing, waxing, and detailing every crevice, crack, and surface of the bike. I was running on 4-5 hrs a sleep and it was a large undertaking to get everything done from both friends and family.

Heres hoping for the best, but planing for the worst. Its first show is in a week...

01-09-10_1730.jpg

P3010209.JPG

There's nothing that wakes you up faster in the morning than hopping on the bike for a ride @ 32-degrees!

Jumping on your bike after it's been sitting in the rain overnight, taking off & hitting the brakes for the first time on your journey because you need to slow down for a turn, due to the fact that the road turns into a 1 way & you're going downhill, only to have your brakes not work because their soaked & finding yourself riding the wrong way into oncoming traffic cause you couldn't slow down, :eek: may wake you up just a touch faster. :)

I miss my bike! :(

I live in such a crap neighborhood that if I was to take in out of storage in would get stolen or vandalized in a minute if I borough it here.

I feel for ya.

I parked mine infront of my folks house (in an upper middle class sub-division) over night & some douchebag stole a side cover off it :angry2: . I made snap-on thick leather covers to replace it & the other side so they would match & my battery wouldn't be showing.

It was a 1975 GL-1000 with mid sized apes & a 3' padded sissy bar (great for road trips, to pin my girl against so she could rest). I love the 75 cause they had spokes, chrome fenders & no faring or plastic bags.

Damn I really miss that scooter, but no parts were to be found & I needed coils, it was my only vehicle & every time it rained It would mis-fire & I would end up running on 2 or 3 cylinders...

It killed me, but I had to sell it & get a car, just so I could get to work.

I really need to stop spending my hard-earned on guns for a bit & get another.

Likely another 1975 GL-1000, I love the spokes, dual straight pipes that rode low enough to scrape on the freeway when you swerved low & everything else about it. I had it full-dress with leather bags & a toumbstone windshield (Also great for road trips with the girl.).

Wish I had pics, but my Scooter, Jeep & Bronco were all before I had a digital camera. :(

Well at least I have the memories.

Edited by Paulyski

nice bikes!

here is whats in my family....

my toy (currently sitting with a ruptured oil line)...

steveonbuell2.jpg

Man, those Buell's have a futuristic look to them. I've always liked the way they look.

If you liked them, get them now.

Harley is dropping buell from the lineup last i heard. I can honestly say I'm not happy to hear them go.

^^ that thing is HIDEOUS!

I'm digging the S&S, thats nice!

its a badass!

i've rode it twice, i just cannot get comfortable with the forward controls.

yea, Buell got the axe.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/experience/news/detail.asp?news_id=1497

it is sad and aggravating in many ways!

Edited by Mullet Man