The Newest member in the BuffetDestroyer Family

Here are some pics of my newest Saiga!

post-4669-024912900 1283456077_thumb.jpg

post-4669-015797600 1283456097_thumb.jpg

post-4669-002406000 1283456113_thumb.jpg

I used Dinzag's Bullet Guide and filed down the magazine release with a Dremel & file to accommodate regular AK magazines (it's a Circle 10 in the pic). It feeds great and works with all the mags I own (misc. steel surplus and Circle 10's).

post-4669-055460300 1283456222_thumb.jpg

Something I did different than most was with the shepherd's crook or retaining spring. I went to Lowes and go these hitch pin retaining clips to hold the pins in(used them on my Saiga 12 conversion and they have held up well over last 4 years)!

post-4669-060721300 1283456981_thumb.jpg

They are about $.80 for 6 or 8 of them. They actually are much easier to get in and out than the spring on my AK if you have to work on the trigger.

post-4669-041492300 1283456408_thumb.jpg

So here is the cost of the rifle and conversion parts:

Used 7.62 Saiga rifle (deal from a good buddy) $200

Tapco Trigger (Ambient Outdoors with shipping) $24

Tapco FDE Stock (Ambient Outdoors with shipping) $25

Hole Plugs (Home Depot) $.86

Retaining Clips (Lowe's) $.86

All the rest from Carolina Shooters Supply

Tapco FDE Pistol Grip

Tapco Grip Nut & Screw

Dinzag Bullet Guide with bit and tap

Tapco AK Screw Kit for trigger guard and extras (I splurged)

Shipped Total: $46.70

Paint was leftover Duracoat from my previous S12 conversion

Handguard was just painted FDE with minimal Duracoat hardener

Trigger Guard was cut and reused.

JB Weld was used to plug the hole in front of the trigger.

I discovered and used the technique of using zip-ties to hold on the hammer spring legs on the hammer while putting it in the gun and that it saves considerable bruising and cutting of my hand. Very nice. My first Saiga 12 conversion hurt a lot!

I sold the two Saiga mags that came with the rifle for $25 shipped here, so after shipping I will get $20 out of it. My replacement mags run about the same for steel European magazines online, so I felt like passing them on for a good deal.

So, my total converted Saiga cost is $277.42 and I have a very good looking rifle!

Function with 3 boxes of ammo through 3 different mags was flawless yesterday! :super:

I will likely put a KNS Precision .37" front sight post and I will now need more magazines to accommodate two Saiga 7.62 rifles (the other is an Arsenal SGL20) so the cost goes up a little, but I think I am going to keep it the same otherwise.

• Like 1

Total converted cost... $277....

Man, I'm jealous as all hell, but you should be proud. You have an outstanding looking rifle at a value that's in a league of it's own. Well done!

Hopefully this will help a few folks out there on the fence about doing it themselves see that for less than $100 you can get it done nicely yourself.

I had been antsy as hell this week waiting for the parts from Ambient Outdoors to get to me since the conversion was done on Sunday morning after picking up the rifle and I was just waiting on the trigger and stock!

Greg at Carolina Shooter's Supplies had my order to my door in less then 3 days from the time I ordered. It took an extra 5 days from the other guys but I think it saved about $10 after shipping (stock was $20 and trigger was $20 with $8 something in shipping). I just wanted to pinch every penny on this to see how low I could go! Next time I will use solely CSS because Greg does it right and contributes to our forum and has been super helpful when contacting him in the past!

While I was waiting for the parts, I took the trigger from my Arsenal SGL20 and installed it in the Saiga. It didn't like the Bolt Hold Open and would't reset because I didn't grind the hammer. So while it was out, I polished the hammer down to take the 2nd stage off and shortened the single hook an eighth of an inch and it is now comparable to the pull of the Tapcos that I have. Additionally I bent out the legs of the hammer spring and trigger reset is stronger than ever now that it is reinstalled in the Arsenal!

• Like 1

WHen I get another Saiga, it will be similar to yours. Don't think I will bother with AK gas tube, retainer, handguards, 24 mm FSB, AK103 brake, etc. Adds a lot to the cost (about double). GOOD JOB. You can use a drill press and a jig to drill 6 or 7 3/8" holes on each side of the handguard, and put an easy heatshield made from aluminum duct work in it. Works great. Just make a U shaped trough of aluminum under the barrel inside the front handguad (about 1 1/2" from front, and about the same from the rear.

• 1 month later...

Very nice.. keeping it simple yet functional.

just checked the KNS site (page 6).. they have .034 (and 2 other sizes) not a .37.. but for $10.. you can't really go wrong..

thanks for the tip on those also..

Al

Yeah, that is the one (.34") I have on my Arsenal SGL-20. It's a great little sight!